Best sea sick prevention

iluvcruises

Thanks, Moonarino, for the very detailed explanation. The part about congestion in the sinuses causing balance problems was very interesting, and may explain why, although I had not been seasick on previous cruises, was seasick on a cruise 9 years ago when I was in the recovering stages of a sinus infection.

Glad it helped in that way. I always pack some decongestants when I travel.

Well the best prevention for sea-sickness is said to be sitting under a tree :)

Other than that, as you have already learned, there are a lot of options, both prescription and otherwise.

Scopolamine is also known as hyoscine and it reduces secretions, as well as helping nausea/vomiting, so was used as part of the pre-op meds when I was training (won't tell you how long ago that was! :() It is the only thing I have found that reduces my sea-sickness to a level that allows me to continue cruising. I am lucky that I also experience nothing worse than an extremely dry mouth as a side effect.

1. If your planned solution includes 'taking anything' in a pill form, 'the patch', or even over the counter I recommend trying it for a day or 3 B4 the cruise ... know how it makes you feel without the motion so you know if it helps or knot.

2. With the above, if you plan to drink your may also want to 'test run' this b4 the cruise, in the safety of the home ...... My father tried the patch and had two glasses of wine the first night and did not remember the next 24 hours - altho he became 'the life of the party' .....

3. With most remedies, waiting until you think you need it means it is too late ...... on my ships we passed out drugs to those who knew they needed 48 hours b4 sailing so they could 'pre-treat'.

4. To those who say cruise ship is too big to feel it I say NOPE ..... I've seen folks get sea sick while the ship was still tied to the pier .....

a sea story ... condensed version

on one of our early cruises we were on NORWAY - BIG BOAT .... seated at a table for 10. There was a lot of nice conversation 'cept for one older gent who had little to say. His spouse on the other hand was bubbly and especially liked to talk about how she'd always had sea sickness issues but this was her first time with 'the patch' and it was a MIRACLE! This was pretty much an everynight discussion .....

On the last night his Mrs excused herself and as soon as she was out of ear shot he burst out laughing ......

"Don't tell her, but I forgot to pick up the 'patches' so I put one of those small round bandaids behind her ear ..... I've nearly busted out several times ....."

When she returned he went silent again ...... we'd all sworn secrecy ....

a LOT of sea-sick is in the head ....... distracting attention is the best solution. As a young cadet on EAGLE I found if I started to 'feel it', going aloft was enuf to keep the mind occupied .....

when the seas were doing this

enhance

I found being 150 feet up and trying to hold on overcame sea sick feelings ...

enhance

I agree with the Sea Bands. I've been wearing them when I travel for years, and not had a problem. On cruises, I generally only need them the first night, because I find it to be a bit rocky leaving the port. I would perhaps be fine without them, but would rather not take a chance. On our last cruise, the last night, we must have been going through a storm because the ocean was rough! Lots of people missed dinner, threw up in the hallways, etc. I wore my Sea Bands that night and was fine.

I also often take ginger capsules when I travel too.

Definitely check with doc

But I, too, love the SeaBands. Price is right and no medicinal side affects. I am one that always got car sick very easily until I discovered the bands. Motion sickness does not bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. If your planned solution includes 'taking anything' in a pill form, 'the patch', or even over the counter I recommend trying it for a day or 3 B4 the cruise ... know how it makes you feel without the motion so you know if it helps or knot.

2. With the above, if you plan to drink your may also want to 'test run' this b4 the cruise, in the safety of the home ...... My father tried the patch and had two glasses of wine the first night and did not remember the next 24 hours - altho he became 'the life of the party' .....

Interesting post(s) (and ahoy Melbourne; I spent a few years in that area and my son is a Melbourne High alumnus). You also reminded me: Back in my drinking days, every time I overdid it I'd get "seasick".

(No snarkiness intended, just a personal observation.)

Alcohol dulls/weakens the senses, needless to say, while (as you suggest) trying to push thru the sensation of motion sickness might have the opposite effect: It can stimulate the physical senses, which can physically help to counter motion sickness. Another thing the sports therapist explained to me: When I told her I avoided situations where rapid conflicts of movement confused my visual sense and could bring on a mild sensation of vertigo, she told me to stop avoiding. That was perpetuating the problem. I needed to fight thru it, take on the challenge of visually uncomfortable situations, so as to strengthen the senses that still worked well for me. It's a "no pain, no gain" thing. This approach might also work for some others, depending on how/when/why they tend to suffer motion sickness.

A key aspect of motion sickness is (or most likely is) that we feel movement, but we don't see the same relative movement in the walls and surfaces in our field of vision. It's a sensual conflict. In that case it can help to look at something that really is stagnant, like the horizon, so our eyes and brain (and stomach) can rationalize the entire scenario.

When I told her I avoided situations where rapid conflicts of movement confused my visual sense and could bring on a mild sensation of vertigo, she told me to stop avoiding. That was perpetuating the problem.

In my sea years I've seen plenty of sea sick sailors ... a time or two in the mirror!! What you say here is a fact for many .... your body will quickly acclimate so 'pushing thru' is consistent with this. Most of my sailors who had 'issues' would pre-medicate and by the second or third day of a patrol were off the drugs ... their body having adjusted. And about 1 out of 100 eventually became labeled 'chronic sea sick' ... they were sea sick at the dock and worse as soon as we left the pier. Sometimes SO bad the 'doc' had to knock them out with drugs to get them asleep and feed by IV until we could get them off the ship .... shore duty for them!

On the other hand I'm a firm believer that anyone who says "I never get sea sick" just ain't been in the right set of sea conditions yet!

I get sea sick, car sick, just motion sick in general. I use the patches and bring along ginger candy. The Bonine and less drowsy Dramamine still knock me out. The patches (put on the day before travel) have never failed me and I have not had any side effects. I realize there is a long list of side effects but there is a long list of side effects to most any drug you use. For example, this is the list for Motrin (Ibuprofen):

More common

• Abdominal pain
  • acid or sour stomach
  • belching
  • bloating
  • cloudy urine
  • decrease in amount of urine
  • decrease in urine output or decrease in urine-concentrating ability
  • diarrhea
  • difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
  • excess air or gas in stomach or intestines
  • full feeling
  • heartburn
  • indigestion
  • itching skin
  • pain or discomfort in chest, upper stomach, or throat
  • pale skin
  • passing gas
  • nausea
  • noisy, rattling breathing
  • rash with flat lesions or small raised lesions on the skin
  • shortness of breath
  • swelling of face, fingers, hands, feet, lower legs, or ankles
  • troubled breathing at rest
  • troubled breathing with exertion
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • vomiting
  • weight gain

Less common

• Abdominal cramps
  • stomach soreness or discomfort

Rare

• Agitation
  • back, leg, or stomach pains
  • bleeding gums
  • blistering, peeling, loosening of skin
  • blood in urine or stools
  • bloody, black, or tarry stools
  • blurred vision
  • burning feeling in chest or stomach
  • change in vision
  • chest pain
  • chills
  • clay-colored stools
  • coma
  • confusion
  • constipation
  • cough or hoarseness
  • dark urine
  • decreased urine output
  • depression
  • difficulty breathing
  • difficulty swallowing
  • dilated neck veins
  • dizziness
  • dry mouth
  • extreme fatigue
  • fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  • fever with or without chills
  • frequent urination
  • general body swelling
  • general feeling of tiredness or weakness
  • hair loss, thinning of hair
  • headache
  • hives or welts
  • hostility
  • impaired vision
  • increased blood pressure
  • increased volume of pale, dilute urine
  • irregular breathing
  • irritability
  • itching
  • joint or muscle pain
  • lab results that show problems with liver
  • lethargy
  • light-colored stools
  • loss of appetite
  • lower back or side pain
  • muscle twitching
  • nosebleeds
  • painful or difficult urination
  • pains in stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
  • pinpoint red spots on skin
  • puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
  • rash
  • red skin lesions, often with a purple center
  • red, irritated eyes
  • redness of skin
  • seizures
  • severe abdominal pain, cramping, burning
  • severe and continuing nausea
  • sore throat
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots in mouth or on lips
  • stiff neck or back
  • stomach upset
  • stupor
  • swollen or painful glands
  • tenderness in stomach area
  • thirst
  • tightness in chest
  • unpleasant breath odor
  • upper right abdominal pain
  • vomiting of blood
  • vomiting of material that looks like coffee grounds
  • wheezing
  • yellow eyes and skin

The patches allow me to enjoy my cruise and I would be very hesitant to go without them.