Live Blog of Celebrity Silhouette 13-day Trades wind Transatlantic from a 22 year old

EpochTraveler

Great! Keep singing, never stop!! I am so pleased to hear that there is a guest choir. Because it seems likely that there will also be one on our Baltic cruise in May, and my husband, Norman can be in it as he really enjoys singing in choirs. XX

I have not yet heard of a guest choir but I sang from 8 to 50 so I'd love to contribute.

p

I finally made time to sneak into the Hideaway for a bit and I loved it in there. Quiet, introvert Quarters where you can read a good book or take a snooze like some did. (I don’t get it, why sleep in a public venue when your cabin is on the ship?)

For the same reason I guess that a couple/or people will sit at the Martini bar and drink beer or another mixed drink and not a Martini

Or those around the pool that will be sleeping, reading or just laying there. Why? There are many other places with loungers in the sun or shade. Why do they need to be by the pool?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

For the same reason I guess that a couple/or people will sit at the Martini bar and drink beer or another mixed drink and not a Martini

Or those around the pool that will be sleeping, reading or just laying there. Why? There are many other places with loungers in the sun or shade. Why do they need to be by the pool?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hideaway was such a comfy place. We went for coffee most mornings and it was so relaxing.

Thanks for the live updates. Can you give a little more info on the weather you have had thus far. My parents are on the ship and I was wondering. Thanks

Nothing short of phenomenal. Only “Rough seas” we had were near Bermuda. Every day it’s been in the upper 70’s and midday can even be in the 80’s. People have been outside the past 4 days catching tans and in the pools.

Today we are traveling slower as we approach Ponta Delgada, and the seas are like glass it’s beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am enjoying your blog. Love your writing style and humor. Silhouette is our favorite Celebrity ship with our 3rd sailing on her upcoming.

Not certain if you know, but every after around 4:00 they have small sandwiches and desserts in the Ocean View Café. Might be more to your liking then the canapés that are delivered to your stateroom.

Also, check with the Captain's Club Hostess on a possible invite to a helipad sail away or sail in. Not certain if it's available on your sailing but another interesting event is the Inside Access tour. Price is $99 and we found it to be well worth it. You tour laundry facilities, engineering room, provisions, bridge, I95 corridor, galley. Very informative.

Sounds like your having a wonderful sailing and you've sparked my interest in a TA. Certainly something to consider!

Once again, thank you for taking us along on your journey!

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅[/quot

A couple of times we were in the Hideaway while there was music in the atrium. It was so relaxing that I dozed off. That's part of the attraction I think.

Lots of ships in Ponta Delgrada tomorrow :

P&O Arcadia

Celebrity Eclipse

Celebrity Silhouette

Marella 2 (ex Thompson)

Hope there are enough taxis!

It’s going to be a tough day tomorrow, I spoke with my cousins, one of which is a tour guide for cruise ships on the island and she let me know tomorrow is going to be mass chaos as it is the first time they will be having this many ships. I did read that they are calling in taxi drivers from other cities to come to Ponta Delgada to help out, but our public transport system is going to be interesting. Luckily my cousins are picking me up!

I am enjoying your blog. Love your writing style and humor. Silhouette is our favorite Celebrity ship with our 3rd sailing on her upcoming.

Not certain if you know, but every after around 4:00 they have small sandwiches and desserts in the Ocean View Café. Might be more to your liking then the canapés that are delivered to your stateroom.

Also, check with the Captain's Club Hostess on a possible invite to a helipad sail away or sail in. Not certain if it's available on your sailing but another interesting event is the Inside Access tour. Price is $99 and we found it to be well worth it. You tour laundry facilities, engineering room, provisions, bridge, I95 corridor, galley. Very informative.

Sounds like your having a wonderful sailing and you've sparked my interest in a TA. Certainly something to consider!

Once again, thank you for taking us along on your journey!

I’ve done the behind the scenes on other ships so I would want to do it again, but we had the helipad experience for Bermuda but was canceled. We are going to Lisbon late so I think we might be re-invited for it then.

It’s going to be a tough day tomorrow, I spoke with my cousins, one of which is a tour guide for cruise ships on the island and she let me know tomorrow is going to be mass chaos as it is the first time they will be having this many ships. I did read that they are calling in taxi drivers from other cities to come to Ponta Delgada to help out, but our public transport system is going to be interesting. Luckily my cousins are picking me up!

I bet that all the local coach firms will be waiting at the port to take people on excursions!. Are all those ships able to dock in the port at Ponta Delgada or will some of them have to tender? I expect people on the island will have been preparing for this influx of cruisers, because hopefully the visitors will be spending lots of money.

I have a lot of make up work today!

It’s been a roller coaster 3 days so I will try to inform you of everything and boy do I have stories to tell!

Day 9: I woke up late, the last sea day and the last time we had to put the hour forward by an hour. Changing the time every day an hour forward takes a toll on you, and the awkward sunrise / sunset hours also helps with messing up your internal clock.

I had 25 minutes to shower and eat breakfast and then be promptly on time for trivia. I took the fastest cubicle shower possible, I would ask to go into the world records but, the bathroom is small enough that it fits only 1 1/2 people at the same time so you’ll just have to believe me. [emoji23]

Then after I scrambled to gobble down a sandwich I made at the buffet I bolted from one side of deck 14 to the other. It was a beautiful day about 71 degrees people were out sunbathing the past 4 sea days.

After trivia I went to the Hideaway with my trivia mates and we had a nice conversation. I love the coffee / tea station in the Hideaway, super convenient. Afterward I had lunch at the main dining room and it was delicious. I spent the afternoon at the sunset bar sparking up conversation with some friendly people. After that the usual progressive trivia and music trivia with my team then I went back to my stateroom to freshen up and get ready for dinner. (From hell.)

Yes, you did read correct; Dinner from hell was next.

So I was a little late about 6:30 when I went to dinner. As a solo celebrity really wants you to eat at a table of 8 and discourage solos eating alone and I was okay with it, since I can spark a conversation with anyone. Mistake. I got seated with two couples and 3 solos.

Let me reiterate; I’m 22. The rest of the people at my table are a solid 3x My age. What are the things you don’t bring up in conversation especially with strangers over dinner, especially in the political turmoil Americans are in; Politics. Let me preface you with this; Wisconsin couple, Western Pennsylvania couple, 1 Floridian and 1 Californian and then me. One couple started talking about owning guns and shooting people if they got them upset and that liberals are aggressive and rude and the other couple enjoyed causing controversy by wearing inappropriate political shirts and pretends he mocks both parties when in reality aligns his views with the other part. Now the two solos are both visibly uncomfortable. I can keep myself neutral in these situations but I could see that the other two are VERY Uncomfortable. I tried not to look at my phone so I wasn’t rude but the urge to escape from the conversation was very high. Both solos before dessert excused themselves and one of the couples asked “oh, was it something we said?” I was in utter astonishment that she couldn’t tell how uncomfortable both of them felt... I felt as the most sensible one on the table.. afterward the conversation switched after they left to being my therapists. (Everyone views me as their child and loves giving me advice, I’ll take it, it’s for free. [emoji23]) So I tried and skedaddle as fast as I could after dessert. I ran to the show cosmopolitan in hopes they would come and sit with me. (Thank God.)

The show cosmopolitan was wonderful, just a lot of costume changes and song and dance with some aerialists. Afterward I went straight to bed because tomorrow was Ponta Delgada.

Day 10: My Motherland.

“Ainda sinto os pés no terreno, onde meus avós bailavam o pezinho.” (I still can feel the feet of my grandparents dancing on the terrain.)

That one line in a song about the Azores just about makes me cry every time I hear it as my parents both were born in the Azores and I still have family here especially my grandmother.

Since we were here for one day I wanted to surprise my aunt and grandmother. I had arranged for my cousin to pick me up at the pier and bring me to my grandmothers house. Another cousin of mine spilt the beans to my aunt I was coming but my aunt kept it a secret from my grandmother. I arrived and was greeted with much love and my grandmother was inside. I opened the door to the house and saw my grandmother standing up about to sit down to watch TV and I greeted her and immediately the tear started rolling down her face upon seeing me. (I was hoping I wasn’t going to give her a heart attack. {I last visited was in August so it’s only been several months since I was there.}) We cried for a bit and hugged it out. I spent the day with my family and visiting other relatives that were working just to say hello and see how everyone is doing. I did go around the island on a tour even though I have seen it many of times. The island of São Miguel is beautiful. I would rate it one of the most beautiful in the world. When I get a chance I will post pictures I have taken over the years. After a nice day in Ponta Delgada, it was time to say “Até Logo” (See you later) to my family, which is always the hardest thing to do. I tried not to cry again hugging my grandmother goodbye but it’s very hard to have a concrete relationship with someone so close to you, yet because you live in two different worlds it puts a heavy strain on the relationship. Obviously my grandmother is in her 80’s so leaving her hurts more and more each year.. I have a deep connection to the island. A sense of belonging, a sense of yearning. I can feel the volcanic pulse on the ground where my feet stand. Honestly it’s tough to explain and sometimes even for myself to comprehend. I filmed sailaway from Ponta Delgada at the sunset bar since we docked bow facing forward. Afterward I went back to my stateroom to shower for the Tuscan grille tonight, I went back to my stateroom and just cried for 20 minutes as I got ready. Honestly I wish I could tell you why I cried, even though I know I will be back again and again. I finally dried my eyes and started heading for the Tuscan Grille.

Tuscan Grille Review:

I was one of the first people at Tuscan so I got a lovely window seat. My waiter knew my name from when he booked my specialty dining on day 1. I was amazed 10 days later he remembered my name still. Even better; the Maître d’ of Tuscan was from Portugal! We enjoyed the conversation of our day on the island and he was phenomenal, we even share the same last name!

The food was heavenly, to say the least. I had the beef Carpaccio, fillet mignon and lobster rigatoni Alfredo, which was so creamy and delicious, and a decedent tiramisu. The limoncello is also wonderful, it goes down so well and was a wonderful digestif. After dinner I went to the sunset bar for a drink and conveniently my trivia team was there so I joined in and talked about how they all enjoyed Ponta Delgada which made me super happy! The show was a singer from England who was on “Britain’s Got Talent” and lost to the 90 year old Spanish dancing lady. He had a wonderful voice and was very playful and had some British humor I do appreciate, afterward I went straight to bed, watching some British television.

• Like 1

Day 10: My Motherland.

“Ainda sinto os pés no terreno, onde meus avós bailavam o pezinho.” (I still can feel the feet of my grandparents dancing on the terrain.)

That one line in a song about the Azores just about makes me cry every time I hear it as my parents both were born in the Azores and I still have family here especially my grandmother.

Since we were here for one day I wanted to surprise my aunt and grandmother. I had arranged for my cousin to pick me up at the pier and bring me to my grandmothers house. Another cousin of mine spilt the beans to my aunt I was coming but my aunt kept it a secret from my grandmother. I arrived and was greeted with much love and my grandmother was inside. I opened the door to the house and saw my grandmother standing up about to sit down to watch TV and I greeted her and immediately the tear started rolling down her face upon seeing me. (I was hoping I wasn’t going to give her a heart attack. {I last visited was in August so it’s only been several months since I was there.}) We cried for a bit and hugged it out. I spent the day with my family and visiting other relatives that were working just to say hello and see how everyone is doing. I did go around the island on a tour even though I have seen it many of times. The island of São Miguel is beautiful. I would rate it one of the most beautiful in the world. When I get a chance I will post pictures I have taken over the years. After a nice day in Ponta Delgada, it was time to say “Até Logo” (See you later) to my family, which is always the hardest thing to do. I tried not to cry again hugging my grandmother goodbye but it’s very hard to have a concrete relationship with someone so close to you, yet because you live in two different worlds it puts a heavy strain on the relationship. Obviously my grandmother is in her 80’s so leaving her hurts more and more each year.. I have a deep connection to the island. A sense of belonging, a sense of yearning. I can feel the volcanic pulse on the ground where my feet stand. Honestly it’s tough to explain and sometimes even for myself to comprehend. I filmed sailaway from Ponta Delgada at the sunset bar since we docked bow facing forward. Afterward I went back to my stateroom to shower for the Tuscan grille tonight, I went back to my stateroom and just cried for 20 minutes as I got ready. Honestly I wish I could tell you why I cried, even though I know I will be back again and again. I finally dried my eyes and started heading for the Tuscan Grille.

Tuscan Grille Review:

I was one of the first people at Tuscan so I got a lovely window seat. My waiter knew my name from when he booked my specialty dining on day 1. I was amazed 10 days later he remembered my name still. Even better; the Maître d’ of Tuscan was from Portugal! We enjoyed the conversation of our day on the island and he was phenomenal, we even share the same last name!

The food was heavenly, to say the least. I had the beef Carpaccio, fillet mignon and lobster rigatoni Alfredo, which was so creamy and delicious, and a decedent tiramisu. The limoncello is also wonderful, it goes down so well and was a wonderful digestif. After dinner I went to the sunset bar for a drink and conveniently my trivia team was there so I joined in and talked about how they all enjoyed Ponta Delgada which made me super happy! The show was a singer from England who was on “Britain’s Got Talent” and lost to the 90 year old Spanish dancing lady. He had a wonderful voice and was very playful and had some British humor I do appreciate, afterward I went straight to bed, watching some British television.

That is a lovely post, EpochTraveller, thank you for sharing it with us. I am going to read it again later.