Sick after cruise

crazee4cruzin

We disembarked the Eclipse last sunday. We both started getting some type of wicked respiratory stuff around day 5. We had it the rest of the 14 day cruise and we've been home 5 days and I still have it!!!!!!! BAD stuff!!!!

Did you quarantine yourself to your cabin? What measures did you take so that you were not spreading your illness to other passengers? Did you avoid crowded elevators? Did you avoid touching menus or other items that would be handled by other cruisers?

I've only gotten sick once on a cruise, but it was a doozy. Strep throat and lung infection. about 5 days into an 11-day cruise. The ship's clinic was great. I had intravenous antibiotics and breathing treatments twice daily for three days. Fortunately, the first two days were sea days. The third day we were scheduled to go on a long excursion -- partial transit of the Panama Canal. The clinic let me come down early that morning for the antibiotics and breathing treatment, and wrapped my hand in gauze to protect the catheter for the day. I did overhear another passenger in the clinic who had strep throat, so I must have picked it up on board.

We were on Silhouette in March - and for the first time I brought a supply of gloves to wear at the buffet (in addition to my usual regime of taking echinacea daily starting 2 weeks before, wiping down plane environment and cruise cabin with Lysol and Wet Ones wipes, not touching handrails, elevator buttons, etc).

I was wondering why the cruise lines didn't provide gloves at the buffet. It would prevent so much illness! And then I realized, it's all about money. They'd go through a lot of gloves if people used them or better yet, were required to use them.

That said, I felt a lot better using the gloves right through pulling my chair out to sit. And nobody looked at me funny. :cool:

it's a week and a half since we finished our cruise and wife went to see the nurse today (regular appointment about her blood pressure) and mentioned about the persistant cough bringing up plhegm - and the nurse has given her some antibiotics so hopefully they work

You have the symptoms of the Brisbane flu antibiotics will not fix this rest and keep warm we where on the same Barrier cruise as you I,m better but my wife very slowly improving flu jabs only last about 15 weeks get the latest jab end may beginning of June for lasting results Aussie

You have the symptoms of the Brisbane flu antibiotics will not fix this

If the phlegm is clear (translucent) then it is usually a viral infection and antibiotics won't help, however if the phlegm is murky yellow/green then that usually means a secondary bacterial infection has occurred and antibiotics are often required to combat this.

I'm prone to getting bacterial secondary infections when I have a cough so are familiar with the differences.

We have only been on three cruises. Two years ago on Summit. Last year on Summit. This year on Silhouette, (April 1-8).

On the Summit they were fanatics about distributing the hand sanitizer. Every person entering the buffet and other dining rooms. The theater, between the 7 and 9 o'clock shows, they wiped down every seat and arm rests.

Not so much on the Silhouette. I don't know if they were shorthanded are just not as concerned. upon entering food establishments and the theater there was always only one person squirting the hand sanitizer. I watched, many times, where they distributed to about half, or less people as they went by.

Two of my adult daughters were on the Anthem of the Seas this past January. They said everyone had to physically wash their hands every time they entered the buffet. I'm not sure about the MDR.