1PM-9PM Port Stop in Naples?

OceansOfTravels

I will be on the Seaview this summer, and our stop in Naples is from 1PM-9PM. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spend this day? We want to see something local to Naples, won't protest a trip to Pompeii or Capri as long as the price is right and it is worth it given our short stop, but we want to do something with cooking or something off the beaten path. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Naples is a great city. I stayed there for only one night in July last year. I liked it but my friend did not. She felt uneasy. It is very busy. But if you want to walk around, it is pretty exciting in my opinion. You have lots of restaurants, famous pizza etc.

You could also take the ferry over to Capri although I found Capri nice but crowed and very expensive. But definitely worth seeing.

Sorrento is my favourite which is just a bit less than an hour from Naples (driving). You can take a local train (but again, kind of uneasy- pick pocket central), we did that and will never do it again. I would book a transfer or take a tour to Sorrento and Positano. Both places to me are #1 on my list in Italy so far but I have much more to see(I'm going to ALberobello and Matera this year).

You could use Joe Banana Limos who I have used many times for tours or transfers. My favourite tour is from Naples and goes to Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast with lunch at a local restaurant which is amazing (I'm a foodie too).

Enjoy your trip.

Given your short time frame, I'm not sure going to Sorrento is worthwhile -- but then I'm not Sorrento's biggest fan.

Herculaneum is closer to Naples than Pompeii and is a smaller site, if you are interested -- it takes about half the time on the commuter rail line (Circumvesuviana) to get there.

If you want to stay in Naples, there is plenty to see and do there as well. I highly recommend the Archaeological Museum -- chock full of the treasures from Pompeii and Herculaneum and well worth a visit.

I'll be on Seaview in July. In Naples, the stop is only 1:00pm - 7:30pm. I'll have less than 5 hours in port and I am considering if I should go to Pompeii or just stay in Naples.

Any thought?

Thanks in advance.

I will be on the Seaview this summer, and our stop in Naples is from 1PM-9PM. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spend this day? We want to see something local to Naples, won't protest a trip to Pompeii or Capri as long as the price is right and it is worth it given our short stop, but we want to do something with cooking or something off the beaten path. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

You might have a look at TripAdvisor for recommended food/cooking tours in Naples.

I'll be on Seaview in July. In Naples, the stop is only 1:00pm - 7:30pm. I'll have less than 5 hours in port and I am considering if I should go to Pompeii or just stay in Naples.

Any thought?

Thanks in advance.

That is a really short port time -- terrible for a stop in Naples, which has so many good options. I've noticed that MSC and also Costa tend to have quite short port times -- something folks need to be aware of when booking a cruise. Length of time in port is really critical.

Considering that you have to allow at least an hour to get to Pompeii from Naples and another hour to get back, I probably would say you should stay in Naples. However, if seeing Pompeii is really important for you, I'd arrange with a taxi (there is a fixed rate) to take you and pick you up two hours later. There are usually tour guides at the main gate putting together groups of 10-12 people for a two-hour overview. Or you can ask for the brochure when buying your tickets that advises you on a good short itinerary of the site.

We did an excursion to the top of Vesuvius and a tour of Pompeii which I highly recommend if you are looking for an excursion. If not and if trying to save money, Naples itself is directly walkable from the ship and has its own interesting sights. I think next we would do our own excursion to Sorrento or Capri, which you can take a ferry there from just outside the cruise port! Naples cruise port