Captain Bob vs Captain Alan

polygamoose

The tours and prices look to be almost identical. Has anyone done both? Anyone had good or bad experiences with Bob or Alan?

Thanks

By Captain Alan, do you mean Billy bones charters? We took them last month and had a great experience. There were 12 of us so we basically chartered a boat, but pretty much kept to the published itinerary. Absolutely no complaints. I wrote a review of them on this site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Alans is not Billy Bones. Just google Captain Alan's Boat Charters and his site will come up. My wife and I prefer to go with Captain Alan's because we know them and have gone with them many times. But Bob has a good operation, gets great reviews generally, and I have recommended him to cruisers who want a closer point of departure. Either one should give you a great day off the ship.

By Captain Alan, do you mean Billy bones charters? We took them last month and had a great experience. There were 12 of us so we basically chartered a boat, but pretty much kept to the published itinerary. Absolutely no complaints. I wrote a review of them on this site

Billy Bones is different from Alan/Bob. They do not fit our needs because we are a group of two. If we had a larger group and wanted a charter for just our group they would probably be a good fit.

Hey there! How much was it for your group of 12? I just sent them a quote request and we have 6 adults and 6 kids. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey there! How much was it for your group of 12? I just sent them a quote request and we have 6 adults and 6 kids. Thanks!

It was $119/person, but the owner ended up giving back $50 (which we just added to the tip for the crew). Well worth it! The snorkeling was great, and the boat goes fast. The kids will love that. Let them know ahead of tine what type of beverages you like, so they can stock the cooler( we were 12 adult males, so a little higher alcohol content. Lol)

It was $119/person, but the owner ended up giving back $50 (which we just added to the tip for the crew). Well worth it! The snorkeling was great, and the boat goes fast. The kids will love that. Let them know ahead of tine what type of beverages you like, so they can stock the cooler( we were 12 adult males, so a little higher alcohol content. Lol)

Haha! Great thank you for the info! We booked a half day tour over the weekend ;) So excited!!

There were four of us adults that went on Captain Bob's tour in March when we were in on Celebrity Reflection. We were the first Celebrity ship to return to St. Martin after the hurricane last fall and we were really happy with what Captain Bob did for us. The boat was not crowded at all and they provided a nice lunch with a cooler full of beverages to choose from. They had to improvise the tour a bit due to the damage from the hurricane but we still were able to visit Pinel island for a couple of hours which was really nice. I have not experienced Captain Alan's but I can confidently recommend Captain Bob!

• 2 months later...
The tours and prices look to be almost identical. Has anyone done both? Anyone had good or bad experiences with Bob or Alan?

Thanks

I believe Captain Alan goes out over by Oyster Bay Resort and Captain Bob is close to the port. With that being said, please know that Captain Bob is the middle man for those like Billy Bones and gets a cut. He does not own any boats from what I have been told. We did his tours in the past, had a great time (LOVED the captain that went on his own soon after not needing to give Bob a cut for basically nothing but collecting money) and then found out that he was bad mouthing his competitors. Not good business practice in my opinion. After Irma, we went out again with him but he failed to mention that the hot lunch was not going to be had due to the hurricane. Mind you that this was after he talked smack about a competitor that served sandwiches vs. grilled mahi, chicken, or ribs. Now he's doing the same thing. It was fine but very misleading... This was strike two for him and now we've simply decided to take our business elsewhere. The ones that actually drive the boat are the ones that are doing the work and they are fine. He just gets the glory off of the backs of others.

We have taken excursions with Capt Alan many times and they do a fine job. We have not gone over to Anguilla or St Barts with them, but know many that have and they do a great job with those, as well. I would suggest that you call or email, talk with Paul or Alan and talk about what you want and what they can do for what cost.

A comment: Bob runs a good operation and has worked hard for what he has. He is a bit of a character and can come on a little strong to some. In my opinion and understanding, some of stuff about soggy sandwiches is just friendly competition which you should not take seriously. He would not have hundreds of repeat customers if he did not provide a good product.

We have taken excursions with Capt Alan many times and they do a fine job. We have not gone over to Anguilla or St Barts with them, but know many that have and they do a great job with those, as well. I would suggest that you call or email, talk with Paul or Alan and talk about what you want and what they can do for what cost.

Thank you. So close it seems a shame not to jump over to both places I have already sent an email and will see what they come up with.