Any Barracuda encounters while swimming or snorkeling in the Caribbean?

2LoveBikes

My wife and I love to go to the beach to swim/ snorkel when cruising in the Caribbean . We have gone on snorkel boat excursions or just explored from the beach. We have spotted barracuda in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and other islands. While on a snorkel boat excursion in Grand Turk the guide advised us that there was a barracuda in the water near the boat but not to be alarmed. There were about 15 of us on the excursion and we all got in and out safe and also had a great time. The fish and coral below was beautiful but the barracuda followed us wherever we went (about 20 feet away). I must say I remained pre-occupied with it's whereabouts throughout our time.

I would be interested if others had any barracuda encounters during their Caribbean cruise adventures and how cool or nervous you were.

My wife and I love to go to the beach to swim/ snorkel when cruising in the Caribbean . We have gone on snorkel boat excursions or just explored from the beach. We have spotted barracuda in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and other islands. While on a snorkel boat excursion in Grand Turk the guide advised us that there was a barracuda in the water near the boat but not to be alarmed. There were about 15 of us on the excursion and we all got in and out safe and also had a great time. The fish and coral below was beautiful but the barracuda followed us wherever we went (about 20 feet away). I must say I remained pre-occupied with it's whereabouts throughout our time.

I would be interested if others had any barracuda encounters during their Caribbean cruise adventures and how cool or nervous you were.

We always seem to run into Baracuda when snorkeling. They are harmless, but fun to watch. If you happen to have something shiny on, like a necklace, they are attracted to that, and it is a good way to draw more to you.

I've come across barracuda several times while snorkeling. Yes, they are fair-sized, scary looking and have a bad reputation. They did not seem particularly interested - I believe they are attracted by shiny objects (perhaps like fish scales) so it is good to not wear chains or bracelets -possibly other jewelry - in general I think their reputation is worse than their attitude towards people.

Barracuda do not bother people. We are too big for them to eat.

We were on a day trip in the BVI, and after lunch, were tossing the chicken scraps over the side (at the request of the captain). Barracude apparently like chicken.

About 10 of us jumped in to swim with them. :D

I've come across barracuda several times while snorkeling. Yes, they are fair-sized, scary looking and have a bad reputation. They did not seem particularly interested - I believe they are attracted by shiny objects (perhaps like fish scales) so it is good to not wear chains or bracelets -possibly other jewelry - in general I think their reputation is worse than their attitude towards people.

You don't hear much if anything about barracudas attacking people but I have observed while snorkeling that schools of fish quickly disperse as soon as a barracuda comes in the immediate area. I have an underwater camera that is shiny and scary me I tuck it away immediately to avoid any confrontation. Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not cruising, but I used to live in South Florida near West Palm Beach, and went SCUBA diving or snorkeling most weekends over a few years. Also took dive trips to the Keys and Cozumel. Saw lots of barracuda. I often saw them hanging out in the shadows, underneath a dock or boat. Never heard a first-hand or second-hand story of one actually hurting a person.

They definitely have big sharp teeth, and I wouldn't try and provoke them. But assuming you don't provoke them, I also wouldn't worry about them. They seem to be very docile and eager to leave humans alone.

I'm from the Keys, so snorkeling/diving with barracuda is perfectly normal to me. Given the way they look, I can certainly see why people would get nervous around them. I do know a couple people who have been bitten, but it was mostly due to shiny, dangling jewelry, or they had their speared fish too close to them.

That said, you're still very unlikely to be bitten. Barracuda are curious and have poor eyesight. That's why they seem to loom so close.

A couple of years ago I was snorkeling off St. John's in Honeymoon Bay. After finishing for the day my wife said by the way did you see the Barracuda pass you?

Yes, and I have observed them in shallow water too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many times. I've encountered them at Cozumel, Akumal, Jamaica, St. John, and Aruba. Never felt really nervous around them, just kept an eye on them and didn't flash anything shiny at them.

The remark about 'shiny things' was what I was told on my first scuba dive in Nassau back in '89 and later in Cayman where over a period of ten years we (myself and BIL, who was my dive buddy) saw literally a dozen schools of what I called 'silver torpedos' because in the blink of an eye they can go to just lazy, sailing by, to hyperspace and GONE in a second !:eek: Luckily, they seemed too ignore us, but swimmers ? I haven't a clue/.:confused:

Mac