Mosquitoes in May?

xqueenfrostine

I’m in the middle of putting together my packing list for my mid-May Alaskan cruise and am wondering if mosquitoes and other biting bugs are a problem that early in the year? I plan to do some hiking in wooded areas in both Juneau and Ketchikan if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Mosquitoes aren't generally a problem in ports. I never bother to carry repellant. The places I've run into them were on the Glacier Wilderness Safari and on the river in Haines. Yes, Skin-so-soft works - the bears love it!

Alaskans, does Avon's Skin So Soft really work?

It’s not very effective. For an oil based repellent, Repel’s Lemon Eucalyptus is very effective. Deet is recommended by most.

The mosquitoes are out in Anchorage but not in force yet.

I don't carry it in ports either.

We also don't bother with mosquito repellant in ports, but for those who are interested we have a few mosquitos out in Fairbanks now (and I want to emphasize few), at least where we live on Chena Ridge. And our local newspaper has published a photo of a butterfly spotted a day or so ago in addition to a photo of what may be the first dandelion bloom of the year. So summer will arrive shortly.

"Mosquitoes aren't generally a problem in ports."

Howsabout when you leave the town and go into the woods? Say for ziplining?

This is what I really wanted to know (though not for ziplining specifically!). I figured mosquitoes wouldn't be much of a problem in town, but I'm less sure what to expect when I go nature walking/hiking in the Tongass National Forest.

I’m in the middle of putting together my packing list for my mid-May Alaskan cruise and am wondering if mosquitoes and other biting bugs are a problem that early in the year? I plan to do some hiking in wooded areas in both Juneau and Ketchikan if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

We were in Alaska in a May .We did not hike but we did a shore excursion in Juneau that took us into a wooded area and did not see any bugs.The time we were there the temperatures were unusually warm,hovering close to 80.

We were in Alaska in a May .We did not hike but we did a shore excursion in Juneau that took us into a wooded area and did not see any bugs.The time we were there the temperatures were unusually warm,hovering close to 80.

Thanks Lenny, this was what I was hoping to hear! I'm a magnet for mosquitoes but really don't like to wear insect repellent if I don't have to.

While some folks feel that they are magnets for mosquitos, I am someone who is not. I live in Interior Alaska, which is known for mosquitos, and unless we are at Wonder Lake in Denali National Park, I have no need for repellent. And, yes, we have done a number of hikes (not just walks) in SE Alaska. As a disclaimer, I do have issues in the Brooks Range (north of Fairbanks). But for those concerned, just remember that a number of bug repellent companies now offer their product on pre-moisened towelletes packaged in foil packages. Just buy a small box, and toss one or two in your tote bag/day pack.

Thanks to everyone for info about Alaska's unofficial state bird (the mosquito).

While some folks feel that they are magnets for mosquitos, I am someone who is not. I live in Interior Alaska, which is known for mosquitos, and unless we are at Wonder Lake in Denali National Park, I have no need for repellent. And, yes, we have done a number of hikes (not just walks) in SE Alaska. As a disclaimer, I do have issues in the Brooks Range (north of Fairbanks). But for those concerned, just remember that a number of bug repellent companies now offer their product on pre-moisened towelletes packaged in foil packages. Just buy a small box, and toss one or two in your tote bag/day pack.
Avon does sell Skin-So-Soft in pre-moistened towelletes, so I'll try those. They actually market this stuff as bug repellent. I remember the day when it was just a lotion. I may take some with Deet as a backup, in case the little guys drive me nuts.

The only time we saw the Alaska " large state bird" was as we arrived from Seward on the cruise line train transfer into ANC during one of our mid May cruises....YIKES...they were bombing the train windows :eek::eek:

Thanks to everyone for info about Alaska's unofficial state bird (the mosquito).

Avon does sell Skin-So-Soft in pre-moistened towelletes, so I'll try those. They actually market this stuff as bug repellent. I remember the day when it was just a lotion. I may take some with Deet as a backup, in case the little guys drive me nuts.

Consumer Reports compared mosquito repellents last year (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/insect-repellent/buying-guide/index.htm) and while the two top repellents are Deet-based, the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus came in third. Sawyer Picardin spray was also recommended. Regular Skin so soft did t make the cut...

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

We are also going to alaska cruise in mid may first time cruiser - i am hearing this yesr winter started late and wondering if it going to be very cold - can some one from alaska or have just returned from cruise please le me know

Thanks a million

We are also going to alaska cruise in mid may first time cruiser - i am hearing this yesr winter started late and wondering if it going to be very cold - can some one from alaska or have just returned from cruise please le me know

Thanks a million

Your guess is as good as mine (and I have 65 years of experience with weather in Alaska)

Sorry this explian well- Wanted to check how cold it has been for April this year so far - was it winter whether or normal / warmer than average.

Here is a calendar for Juneau; as you can see, some weeks have been warmer than average, and some colder. But what the weather has been so far in April truly has nothing to do with what it will be in a month. The forecast only goes out to May 1.

Your guess is as good as mine (and I have 65 years of experience with weather in Alaska)

Yes, if we could only predict....:D last time I was in Alaska was August 1998...and it rained pretty much non-stop on our visit starting in Anchorage, so many excursions were cancelled. So for this return, I selected May....so we'll so what happens just hoping for a few hours of sun here and there...want to take just one photo of a glacier with blue sky behind it.....also would like to have a clear day on our seaplane excursion to the lodge and a peek of sun while snorkeling in Ketchikan.not asking for much;p...hoping Alaska will deliver..........

I have been looking at the "extended" forecast..but as you know what good does that do except show me that temps. might be colder than normal....I'll go for freezing if I can see some blue sky...LOL

Thanks for your experienced input on the boards....

Thanks a million

What is very cold to you? It was in the 40s today in Anchorage and people are out in everything from flip flops and shorts to jeans and sweatshirts.

Thanks a million

We were actually out of state this fall, but Fairbanks had a extended fall. We have had more snow here than usual (Fairbanks doesn't get much snow, which surprises tourists), but not a particularly cold winter. And to day we hit the low 50sF, but do still have some snow on the ground. My rhubarb plants are emerging.

You shouldn't have any problem at all with mosquitoes in May. I don't regard them to be a problem until after mid-June sometimes even up to July. And that is in the interior of Alaska. It seems to me that they are hanging around longer now though. 50 years or more ago they were gone by early August. Nowadays it seems they are peaking then.

Mosquitoes don't breed in salt water or heavy brackish water, so on the coast they are much less of a problem than the interior. I've never seen a problem with mosquitoes in Southeast Alaska or even along the Central Alaska coast unless you get away from tidewater in mid summer. I still use Deet, but apparently there has been some promising in-roads with other new products.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308574

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2301205

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065339