Thinking of trying Celebrity, have a few questions

KarimaJ

Hi. Me, my husband (in our 40’s) and my 13/14 year old daughter have sailed Disney, Royal and most recently 3 NCL cruises. We see a couple Celebrity cruises that we are interested in and have a few questions:

We enjoy the daily line up of events such as game shows, Q&A with officers, contests, etc. Does Celebrity have a good schedule of activities?

Daughter loves the water slides, rope courses. It doesn’t look like Celebrity ships have these. Do they? What do they have for teens?

We like buffets with variety especially some Indian/Asian food. Does Celebrity have this? We aren’t super picky eaters though, can always find something.

Are there many families or is the demographic older?

Do they show any current movies?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity does have a great line up of events, just will be a bit different than what you have seen on your previous cruises. We really enjoy the events.

Celebrity does not have the slides, rock walls etc..... They do have a teen club and arcade, we have friends whose kids they totally love it.

The buffets are excellent with a huge variety of food, which usually includes both Indian and Asian dishes.

The number of families will depend on the time of year. Summer and school breaks will see more families. Some will say the demographic is older, but I do not generally see that. I find that most of the time the age range is around 40.

We don’t generally go to movies so I am no help there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think a lot of it has to depend on where you cruise as well as when. More than likely, your teen will only be looking for things to do on sea days....when you're in port, I would assume you'll be sightseeing or doing shore excursions, of which there are plenty of adventure type activities in the Caribbean that she would probably enjoy. One we did that was amazing was the Dr. Prager/Atlantis submarine adventure....a little pricey but you actually do down 150 feet to the coral reef and it was amazing.

Go to their web site celebrity.com onboard experience/ family fun to learn about their youth programs. The ships don't have the rock climbing, water slides, etc that Other brands have. Food is great onboard. I suggest the Solstice class ships. Enjoy.

We love Celebrity for us, without children, we have always said we would cruise Celebrity as a couple and another line with teens. We did RCI and NCL with our children and their friends and they had a blast. There is not much to do for a teen unless that teen is self entertaining. We have friends whose teens love Celebrity, but they are content to read, relax and do adult type activities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmmm ok I will need to think about that the teen thing then. She isn’t into the teen clubs really, prefers to hang with us and attend the game shows, shopping, etc. but lack of water slides and those types of things may affect my decision. Will definitely try Celebrity as a couple though.

Our kids HATED celebrity when they were teens. For them there was ZERO to do on the ships and so few other kids that they were just bored stiff, which then affected our vacation. There's nothing other than a basketball court and a few video games and of course the pool which has no slides, it's just a pool and if they splash some cranky pants will give them "the look". Now that our girls are older they don't mind Celebrity but would much rather sail RCCL. During the day there is very little to do for active young adults/teens. A few dance classes by the pool possible a pool volllyball for about 30 minutes etc.

Nearly all of Celebrities activities are geared towards the 40-70 year olds on the ship. They are nothing like RCCL, Carnival, NCL etc. I like Celebrity but I would not take active teens on it again.

As 'empty-nesters' with adult age children we FAR prefer Celebrity ships that don't attract a lot of families with children. I suppose someone might consider me 'Mr. Cranky Pants', but I honestly like having adult friends and not having to put up with being splashed at a pool that is overtaken by children or teens. Not to mention the folks who don't understand the need for swim diapers for the toddlers who still soil their undies.

If your teen doesn't want to deal with many of my ilk you might want to stick to Carnival or Disney with her and then really enjoy a nice cruise on Celebrity or Regent. With adults. In any case, cruise on and enjoy!

Hmmmm ok I will need to think about that the teen thing then. She isn’t into the teen clubs really, prefers to hang with us and attend the game shows, shopping, etc. but lack of water slides and those types of things may affect my decision. Will definitely try Celebrity as a couple though.

Celebrity is a bit more upscale and sophisticated. While they have an excellent kids program, they do not design their ships or cruises to be family focused.

I think it depends on the teen, I am late 20s and enjoyed RCCL ships in pre-waterslides rope courses etc days. On a sea day I'd do some combo of: work out, lounge by the pool with a book and mocktail, do line dance class or other poolside activity stuff, play volleyball, get a spa treatment, go to trivia, and then it's basically time to shower and get ready for dinner and show. Sometimes would make friends on a ship, sometimes not. If your teen is the type who actually enjoys dinner in the MDR for the experience then they'd probably like Celebrity. If they are the sort that prefers to hit the buffet and then get back to activities, or needs lots of kids to ensure they click with someone as a friend, probably not.

With 20 Celebrity cruises behind me and two grandkids we are planning on taking cruising next summer, I would NOT take them on X. My first choice would be RCL. I think your granddaughter would appreciate RCL much more than X. You might too.

Thanks for the feedback. I think we will hold off for the family vaca but will try it for the adults only.

We've taken our daughter on three Celebrity cruises and she very much enjoys it. However, she isn't into the water slides and such but enjoys the teen club, good food and the S class design. And contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of other kids on board if going during high season. Other excellent reasons is Celebrity is mostly smoke-free and is very laid back. The Solarium is a great place to relax! I would try it once for yourselves. You may be surprised.