Well now there looks to be more issues if traveling the Baltics this year

Thanks I feel a bit better and will keep my trip.

I merely wanted to chat about issues in Sweden

Gamla Stan is the old town of Stockholm and a 5 minute taxi or 20 minutes walk from the pier.

There is a longish street of independent shops and a few side streets and you can walk into the city centre in about 20 minutes from Gamla Stan.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

You're more than welcome to visit me if you wish. Sweden is very safe. Except our suburbs with all the migrants. But there is no need to visit there. I've never done. And never will.

If.you look at murders/person I think we are very safe. A lot safer than Florida, for example. Where also cruise ships visit.

I live in Florida and it's perfectly safe here!

Just heard on BBC America about how much more violent Sweden has become recently with close to 170,000 refugees entering the country. They were saying Swedes might being leaving the country in larger quantities.

Now they did not say anything about travel, but for cruises to Russia and Sweden it does make one pause and say hmmm. What kind of shore excursion should I take or should I stay one ship.

Should I even try to cancel the trip.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts with this new information that's all.

We live in New Zealand where we have strong gun control. We have been to Europe a month in 2014, cruised Venice to Istanbul in 2016 and travelled for 3 weeks across USA from San Francisco to South Dakota in 2017. Guess which country we were most concerned about crime and safety? NOT Turkey! The Brussels bombings occurred whilst we were in Greece on the ship and 99% of the American travellers wanted to get off and they ended up flying out of Istanbul the morning we arrived. We stayed 3 days in Istanbul and NEVER felt unsafe walking the city alone or with a guide (just the 3 of us). Please don't get hysterical about 'safety' when travelling just act sensibly. Those that went home from the cruise missed out greatly!

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

We live in New Zealand where we have strong gun control. We have been to Europe a month in 2014, cruised Venice to Istanbul in 2016 and travelled for 3 weeks across USA from San Francisco to South Dakota in 2017. Guess which country we were most concerned about crime and safety? NOT Turkey! The Brussels bombings occurred whilst we were in Greece on the ship and 99% of the American travellers wanted to get off and they ended up flying out of Istanbul the morning we arrived. We stayed 3 days in Istanbul and NEVER felt unsafe walking the city alone or with a guide (just the 3 of us). Please don't get hysterical about 'safety' when travelling just act sensibly. Those that went home from the cruise missed out greatly!

Here's a photo in Istanbulc1841802c03622dc4cd1394a7d374547.jpg2493799fc125386c774c89771634d750.jpg

Have you ever watched the news about the United States? And the uncontrolled violence there. Mass murders all the time. Police getting executed. Why would anyone what to go to the United States?

It’s the same. You can’t generalized the safety of a whole country based on isolated pockets of crime.

NCL, in general, is very risk adverse. They were the first cruiseline to pull out of Turkey. And minimized calls in the Eastern Caribbean when the ports were not ready to offer a good cruise experience.

Tourism is down 10% In the USA. Let's blame immigration reform.

There is far more violence and killing with guns in the US - here in the Houston area, there is a shooting just about every day - random, meaningless.....just too many guns on the streets......

eclue:cool:

There is violence in all large cities, you just have to keep your wits about you, not behave like a ‘tourist’ and don’t flash your money, jewellery etc. We were in New Orleans a couple of years ago. We saw no trouble, but a couple of months later someone was shot dead just outside our hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have to say that the states is far more dangerous than Sweden. Even in the UK with recent knife attacks there is a perception of a problem, but these largely occur in non tourist areas with poorer communities. Sweden anytime over most US cities, schools because of gun control.

I live in Florida and it's perfectly safe here!

Schools or gay night clubs as of now. !!! I also live in Chicago and it is safe except in the poor neighborhoods with gang violence. We don't go in those areas.

All over the world there can be (or has been ) incidents. Good common sense will in almost all situations, keep you safe.

When we visited Istanbul, where the migrant population is HUGE, the main evidence in the tourist areas was child beggars. Some very creative, some just sad.
We didn't see ANY beggars at all in 2016 but we could see the city police presence everywhere ..... We saw a lot of refugees sleeping in tents at Piraeus harbour...

I think bad things can happen anywhere and it's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings, stay away from any known problem areas, and as others have said, try not to look too much like a tourist, don't wear flashy attire, etc. and you should be fine. I've been to Europe several times and Egypt once and the scariest part of most of my trips was the taxi/shuttle ride from my apartment to the airport (when I lived in L.A. - those drivers drove like a bat out of hell:eek:).

I think bad things can happen anywhere and it's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings, stay away from any known problem areas, and as others have said, try not to look too much like a tourist, don't wear flashy attire, etc. and you should be fine. I've been to Europe several times and Egypt once and the scariest part of most of my trips was the taxi/shuttle ride from my apartment to the airport (when I lived in L.A. - those drivers drove like a bat out of hell:eek:).
The Spanish taxi drivers in Barcelona and in Tenerife drive very fast too.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Just heard on BBC America about how much more violent Sweden has become recently with close to 170,000 refugees entering the country. They were saying Swedes might being leaving the country in larger quantities.

Now they did not say anything about travel, but for cruises to Russia and Sweden it does make one pause and say hmmm. What kind of shore excursion should I take or should I stay one ship.

Should I even try to cancel the trip.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts with this new information that's all.

To the OP,

Just to add my opinion/experiences to the existing responses -

Sweden is a wonderful country, and despite recent pockets of disruption remains amongst the safest in the world. Of course it's wise to take sensible precautions while out-and-about (as you would at home), but when you're in Sweden you should absolutely feel safe and comfortable.

I'd 100% advise you to go ahead with your trip as planned, and I hope you have a great time :D

To the OP,

Just to add my opinion/experiences to the existing responses -

Sweden is a wonderful country, and despite recent pockets of disruption remains amongst the safest in the world. Of course it's wise to take sensible precautions while out-and-about (as you would at home), but when you're in Sweden you should absolutely feel safe and comfortable.

I'd 100% advise you to go ahead with your trip as planned, and I hope you have a great time :D

Yup I will. Making final pymt tomorrow. Then deciding on shore excursion