[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:17 AM.
Yorkshire, UK
572 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Kristal Blade
We are looking at a Greenland cruise next summer which departs from Tilbury. Do you need to leave your car keys with the parking company or do you take them with you? Thanks for any info

Sent from my iPad using Forums
You keep your keys
Wales UK
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
I know it's relatively new but has anyone experience of Cardiff car parking? I have crutches and managing cases onto a shuttle bus is going to be difficult to say the least.
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
2,038 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I don't know Cardiff, but if you are the passenger and your driver is relatively mobile, we use the technique of dropping my wife off with the cases first at the terminal and then I drive to the car park and only have hand luggage for the shuttle. This works both at Tilbury and Dover. On disembarkation, she waits with the cases at the terminal while I go and get the car. You need to go back in the terminal building via the arrival entrance at Tilbury; they wont let you go straight from customs to arrival, but you have to go out of the exit and come back in via the entrance. You can wait outside but there are no seats and lots of smokers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JG (talks like a pirate) [email protected]
My cruising pages: http://sturnidae.com/cruises.htm

Planned
:

Sailed

JG
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
2,038 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Kristal Blade
Greenland cruise next summer which departs from Tilbury
2018 or 2019? (next could be the next to arrive or the one next year) We were on that last year, there were some hiccoughs but it was still a good cruise so we are going again in 2019. There are threads for both cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Sailed

JG
Plymouth, UK
1,041 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by jgw321
2018 or 2019? (next could be the next to arrive or the one next year) We were on that last year, there were some hiccoughs but it was still a good cruise so we are going again in 2019. There are threads for both cruises.

I have posted on the thread and read through the 2018 one.

Not booked yet, but phoning up about it today. Excited to be visiting Greenland which I recently popped into my bucket list!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Wales UK
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by jgw321
I don't know Cardiff, but if you are the passenger and your driver is relatively mobile, we use the technique of dropping my wife off with the cases first at the terminal and then I drive to the car park and only have hand luggage for the shuttle. This works both at Tilbury and Dover. On disembarkation, she waits with the cases at the terminal while I go and get the car. You need to go back in the terminal building via the arrival entrance at Tilbury; they wont let you go straight from customs to arrival, but you have to go out of the exit and come back in via the entrance. You can wait outside but there are no seats and lots of smokers.

Thank you for your kind reply. As this is our first cruise, first holiday for many years because of the logistics of managing luggage and juggling with documents and walking aids I am getting more anxious. I'm sure we will work it out but with both of us having restricted mobility everything takes that bit more planning. Once we know what we are doing we will be fine. I just can't wait to get on board. I have the use of a walker with a seat if I want it but that would mean I can't roll the cases. If all else fails I can sit on a case! Thanks again for the reply.
8 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Did the 42 day cruise to Amazon, West Indies etc and paid £294 for parking at Tilbury - total ripoff. We spent the night before embarkation at a Travel Lodge in Thurrock, only to discover later that they were offering parking at the hotel for the duration of the cruise for £50! I know what to do next time....
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
2,038 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by andrew279144
Did the 42 day cruise to Amazon, West Indies etc and paid £294 for parking at Tilbury - total ripoff.
That's a bargain for parking in the port at Tilbury, their normal charge is £11/day which would be £462m so you saved £166. You just have to think of it that way, and forget the £244 minus taxi fare.

BTW which was the hotel, it might be useful to other travelers. It could even be an option for us to stay overnight when we have a long cruise, although we only live 30 minutes from the port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Sailed

JG
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
2,038 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I stayed at the Premier Inn

Thanks. I have extended my page on parking at Tilbury now.
http://sturnidae.com/cruises/ports/T/CarPark.htm
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Sailed

JG
Kent, UK
265 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
We met some people on the cruise we just got back from and they stayed at the Ibis in Thurrock, where parking was £5 a day We stayed at the Clarendon Royal in Gravesend (2 minutes from the Tilbury ferry) who also charge £5 a day. Unfortunately the ferry was broken all during our cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Springtime Break & Seine Experience March 18 - CMV Astoria

Riviera Voyage May 17 - Azamara Quest
Western Europe Sept 16 - P&O Ventura
Gironde Estuary and Garonne River May 15 - Princesse d'Aquitaine
Eastern Med June 14 - Azamara Quest
Western Med March 14 - Norwegian Jade
Hawaii April 11 - Golden Princess
Eastbound Transatlantic Jan 10 - QM2
Jewel of the Emirates July 09 - Costa Victoria
Canada & New England Sept 08 - Norwegian Dawn
British Isles - Grand Princess July 07
Alaska - Sun Princess - 1999
Med - Bolero - 1994(?)
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
2,038 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Just returned from a cruise. When I came back to the terminal to pick up my wife and luggage, I was directed to park by the fence (OK) but then go and find my wife but not leave the vehicle! As she was waiting in the arrival lounge I couldn't do both.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Sailed

JG
4 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
JGW321
Thanks for your invaluable info on here. Do you recommend all going to the car park and use shuttle bus both ways?
Do you get priority disembarkation if you do?
Also what is the earliest embarkation slot usually given(Columbus 30June) as I am driving down from Lincolnshire?
Thanks
Barry
Wiltshire, UK
186 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I stayed at the Premier Inn, Thurrock West (not far from Lakeside).
We are on a short (2 night) cruise with just hand luggage. Can we park at the Premier Inn whilst we are on the cruise (we are going to stay the night before).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chris

Ocean Village - 2001
Arcadia - 2009
MSC Orchestra- April 2011
Queen Elizabeth - July 2011
Adventure of the Seas - November 2011
Queen Elizabeth - June 2012 (Queens Diamond Jubilee)
Celebrity Silhouette - May 2013
Queen Mary 2 - August 2014
Celebrity Equinox - December 2014
MSC Meraviglia - April 2018
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
2,038 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Broomeboy48
Do you recommend all going to the car park and use shuttle bus both ways?
If you are fit and able, this is the quickest. They often have separate vans for the luggage but sometimes it is taken on the bus with you. My wife has problem with her leg ever since spraining it getting on to the shuttle at Harwich, so we always go to the terminal first with the luggage, and then I park the car with just hand luggage.

Do you get priority disembarkation if you do?
No, that is if you are top rank return customers or in a suite. The boarding/disembarkation is otherwise by deck from the top down, organised by colour of your luggage labels. You can opt for express disembarkation which is first, but you have to handle your own luggage, no portering.

Also what is the earliest embarkation slot usually given(Columbus 30June) as I am driving down from Lincolnshire?
You will get a given embarkation time when you receive you final documentation. You are not bound by this, but if you arrive early you will wait in the terminal until your appointed slot. If you are late it is not a problem providing you don't miss the ship sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Sailed

JG