Be Considerate When Flying

klfrodo

These are my suggestions. Others may add. Some may disagree.

1. Don't be gate lice. Don't hang around and clutter up the boarding area. The plane is not leaving without you. Wait until your time to board has been called.

2. Middle Seat. Let the poor sap who got the middle seat have both arm rests. It's the least you can do.

3. Recline. Yes, you have the right to recline as far as the seat will allow. Do you really have to though? Try to think of others. Maybe recline only half way.

4. Parents with Little Ones. Don't worry about it. We've all been there. Yes, they might get a little fussy, they might even have a melt down. You know what? Don't worry about it. Most of us have been there, done that. try to bring some snacks, toys, and maybe an iPad to keep them occupied. (Don't forget the headphones). If that 1 percenter is on the plane and doesn't like it,,, tell them to suck it.

5. That "personal" item for carry on? Does not mean a stuffed back pack. THAT is your carry on.

6. Debatable, but my pet peeve. If you can't place your carry on in the overhead bin because it's too big or too heavy, don't expect someone else to.

7. Say Please and Thank You to the flight attendants. They are not your servants.

I like all of the above suggestions. I understand why there is a "gathering" around the gate when boarding is announced. I wonder how much of that--and the stress of those that feel they must do so--could be reduced if the airlines once again stopped charging for checked luggage.

3b - Don’t recline your seat during the boarding process. Wait until after take off.

Your carry on should go with you to your seat. Get tired of seeing people putting their carry on in first available slot, then troop to the back of the plane. Then the passenger sitting in that area have to go rolls back to find a place for their stuff! Then fight their way back against the flow!

I wonder how much of that--and the stress of those that feel they must do so--could be reduced if the airlines once again stopped charging for checked luggage.

That genie is out of the bottle and will never go back in.

Too profitable and the public is not smart enough to fly airline A that is $20 more expensive but has free checked luggage.

Nope, the general public will always select the “cheapest” fare and then bitch about additional fees.

Even with free checked luggage, WN still has carry on issues.

Too profitable and the public is not smart enough to fly airline A that is $20 more expensive but has free checked luggage.

Nope, the general public will always select the “cheapest” fare and then bitch about additional fees.

For a lot of people, especially frequent business travelers who typically have elite status that allows free bags, it isn't about having to pay checked bag fees; it's about not wanting to "waste time" waiting on luggage at the baggage carousel and/or worrying about delayed or lost bags.

I like all of the above suggestions. I understand why there is a "gathering" around the gate when boarding is announced. I wonder how much of that--and the stress of those that feel they must do so--could be reduced if the airlines once again stopped charging for checked luggage.

The gathering happens even when checked luggage is "free" so I'm not sure that's the reason.

I don't understand why people assume that those with carry on all do so because of baggage fees. I never did when travelling in business, don't in economy either.

We get free bags on many airlines. But we never check. We have international size carry on (slightly smaller than NA sizes) and we often on the mark at 7KG. If we are heavier, a small heavier item goes into our personal item.

Why? We only travel with what we can physically handle. And that means lifting it to an overhead aircraft or train bin, etc.

The second reason is convenience. It arrives when we do, nothing is 'missing', and if we need to make a quick routing change we can do so without the issue of checked baggage.

The in flight team works very hard. Long hours, away from home, and it can be very stressful dealing with the public. Sure, sometimes they can be in a bad mood but you can hardly blame them. We think on balance they do a great job, as do the gate crew.

So prior to boarding, get your things together. No need to push since the plane won't leave without you. And once you board, don't be a jerk by blocking the aisles, looking about, or gabbing aimlessly to some one who really does not care what you are saying. Just slide you carry on into the bin, sit down quickly, and then hopelully let others do the same.

Edited by iancal

If its $20.00 more than its not free. Its the same price.

Even when I fly airlines that I get free checked bags on I still try to avoid it. Its the waiting for the bag that is the issue, that is what I want to avoid the most.

At many of the US airports there simply is no seating (or insufficient seating) near the gates.

Many gates have been retrofitted to have corrals to pen passengers into different grades (boarding groups). All that takes up space that in years past would have been used for seats.

4. Parents with Little Ones. Don't worry about it. We've all been there. Yes, they might get a little fussy, they might even have a melt down. You know what? Don't worry about it. Most of us have been there, done that. try to bring some snacks, toys, and maybe an iPad to keep them occupied. (Don't forget the headphones). If that 1 percenter is on the plane and doesn't like it,,, tell them to suck it.

Monitor your little ones. Even in a confined space they need attention. Perhaps more so than when running free at home. Take the opportunity to teach your children respect of others. Repeatedly kicking the seat in front and/or throwing things are behaviors that should be immediately discouraged. Practice and teach flight safety. Seatbelts always on. Watch the safety video/demo, even if it is the 1,000th time.

How about being considerate and ensuring your single ( and their should only be one) carry on are within the allowed dimensions! I see lots of carry ones grossly oversized. I believe the airlines need to become more aggressive in stopping those passengers, collecting those bags, and charging them for checked baggage. I’d say charge them, even if they’re authorized a free bag, for showing up at the gate with an oversized carry on and delaying boarding.

how about being considerate and ensuring your single ( and their should only be one) carry on are within the allowed dimensions! I see lots of carry ones grossly oversized. I believe the airlines need to become more aggressive in stopping those passengers, collecting those bags, and charging them for checked baggage. I’d say charge them, even if they’re authorized a free bag, for showing up at the gate with an oversized carry on and delaying boarding.

+1.

These are my suggestions. Others may add. Some may disagree.

We do understand that little ones have "melt downs", but parents if this happens please do not prop up jr. facing the next row back and allow the little one to scream and howl and then throw up down the back of your seat into my area. This actually happened and the parents were none too happy when I started banging on the back of the other seat and asked them to clean up the mess! I still for the life of me can not understand why the parents who didn't want to listen to their little one scream in their ear thought it was going to be a good idea to allow jr. to scream in mine!

How about being considerate and ensuring your single ( and their should only be one) carry on are within the allowed dimensions! I see lots of carry ones grossly oversized. I believe the airlines need to become more aggressive in stopping those passengers, collecting those bags, and charging them for checked baggage. I’d say charge them, even if they’re authorized a free bag, for showing up at the gate with an oversized carry on and delaying boarding.

+ two

I think there are more than just a few of us that don't have or never had kids that don't want to listen to someone esle's child scream through a flight. I feel for the child, they are somewhere they have no choice to be and nowhere to go to get relief however i spent hundreds of $ to fly just as the family did and not sure why it is okay to think my right to a decent flight is less valid then the parent and child. Please come prepared to minimize the distress to the child as well as those of us surrounding him/her.

I think there are more than just a few of us that don't have or never had kids that don't want to listen to someone esle's child scream through a flight. I feel for the child, they are somewhere they have no choice to be and nowhere to go to get relief however i spent hundreds of $ to fly just as the family did and not sure why it is okay to think my right to a decent flight is less valid then the parent and child. Please come prepared to minimize the distress to the child as well as those of us surrounding him/her.

Because in the grand scheme of things , a child acting up on a flight is only 1 or 2 inconvient hours out of your life. The child is scared, uncomfortable, and maybe in pain.

Seek financial relief out of their future allowance

We find that European airlines, originating in Europe, are much more stringent with carry on than are the US airlines. Not certain why.

We were in a Lufhansa line in Venice. Two ladies ahead of us were very distressed to lean that severa of their carry on bags (containing Murano glassware) would not be allowed in the cabin. Not certain what the outcome was but there was no doubt in our minds that the Lufthansa clerk was serious. Not sure what happened but we did not see them board with all of their shopping bags.

This is the reason why we buy international size carry on and keep them to the respective prescribed weight. Even though they seldom check the weight.

Because in the grand scheme of things , a child acting up on a flight is only 1 or 2 inconvient hours out of your life. The child is scared, uncomfortable, and maybe in pain.

Seek financial relief out of their future allowance

All things you mentioned in the first post give only a few hours, or less, of inconvinience. I think that a screaming child is much worse than for example someone reclining their seat.

I don't say that it's a big problem but among the things you mentioned a small child has the potential to be the worst thing, I think.

We have had our carry on weighed in Europe as well. They are serious. I was also surprised to see things very strictly enforced by Hawaiian airlines and Alaska. I too am tired of seeing the huge carry ons.

IMO I think airlines should just raise the price to include checked luggage. That would end a lot of the abuse. We too have done carry on only for convenience but I would still be in favour of it included to speed up boarding and deplaning.

• 2 months later...
1. Don't be gate lice. Don't hang around and clutter up the boarding area.

When I get to the gate, if there aren't any seats available, I go and stand at the gate as if I'm the first in the queue to board. A few moments later, my husband will join behind me, acting as if we don't know each other. Shortly, a stranger will come and stand in the third place, and then the fourth and fifth and so on until a chain reaction causes the entire flight to stand up and make a queue that snakes halfway around the terminal, leaving their seats empty.

We then leave the queue, and take our pick of the seats. We're Plus/Gold/Elite/Priority/Platinum, etc, so we get called to push to the front of the queue to board first anyway.

(Disclaimer: We're British, your results may vary!)

When I get to the gate, if there aren't any seats available, I go and stand at the gate as if I'm the first in the queue to board. A few moments later, my husband will join behind me, acting as if we don't know each other. Shortly, a stranger will come and stand in the third place, and then the fourth and fifth and so on until a chain reaction causes the entire flight to stand up and make a queue that snakes halfway around the terminal, leaving their seats empty.

)

LOL :evilsmile:

That's just devious

Brilliant but devious

We regular travelers suffer from the fact that 90+% of air travelers only fly once a year or less. Some have no clue as to the meaning of the Priority #, and believe seating is a first come first affair. Continually see people turned away by the gate agent having a Boarding priority #6, when they’ve only called #1!

Domestic airlines not enforcing the carry on limits create headaches for all. I still wish TSA would not allow oversized luggage through security. That would help a lot! Back in the 80s, the screening machines had size limiters on the front of the machine. If the carry on wouldn’t fit through the hole, the owner was sent back to stand in the check in line again.