Driver in Astoria or Monterey?

• 3 weeks later...

in Astoria there are few cabs, and I don't think Uber. It's about a mile walk to the Avis rental car. We rented a car last year and drove down to Cannon Beach. I highly recommend getting a car as the bus to town comes on the hour, and it's a half mile walk just to get to the bus. Renting a car gives one freedom to go where you want. We stopped at Fred Meyer, a grocery store, on the way and picked up a picnic lunch.

We also stopped at the wreck of ? where there happened to be a junior high girl's cross country race happening!

• 2 weeks later...

Born and raised in Oregon lived in Astoria for 5 years in my younger days I would agree with renting a car. I would not imagine there would be a lot around the cruise port, Cannon beach would be nice There is the Maritime musiem, Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark winteredand:) the Astor colum But don't bother to go to Tillamook unless you want to watch them make cheese and see a bunch of cows standing around.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping someone can answer this. In Astoria we DO plan to rent a car (from Enterprise) but the man who answered the phone there today mentioned that often cruise ships take an hour for people to go through whatever security or immigration checks they have there. I was a little surprised, as we are coming on a cruise which starts in San Francisco, so we will not be coming into the U.S. from another country. Does anyone know roughly how long it will take for a ship to be cleared in Astoria and cruisers to be let off? I realize it will depend upon how many passengers the ship has, but I'll be on a relatively smallish ship, so I'm hoping it will be fairly quick.

Also, has anyone used Enterprise there (261 Marine Dr. W)? They will pick up, but I'm not sure how fast that will be on a port day. Also, how long would it take to walk there - maybe 10-15 minutes? Would Avis be any closer?

Our time is somewhat limited that day, so I want to be able to use it wisely.

Also, does that trolley only start at noon?

• 3 weeks later...

We have come into Astoria three times on a cruise ship. No immigration so we were off fairly rapidly. The ship was cleared pretty fast. There were shuttle busses lined up to take us into town. Several drop off and pick up spots. Small charge for the shuttles. Can’t remember when the trolley started but it was very crowded coming back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey there! I live in Astoria. Enterprise is probably a 15 minute walk. The trolley usually starts at noon. It does take a long time to go down and back on the riverwalk, and fills up fast. If you can catch it great, but if not, just walk!

If you're interested in hiring a driver or taxi, check out Richard at Astoria Downtown Coffee shop and Taxi. He has a new, clean SUV, and prices are very reasonable. Wouldn't recommend other taxis in our small town.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will be on a cruise late in September and have searched a little for transportation as my husband would not be able to walk half a mile. We are just interested in getting to the Sunday market for a quick walk through. I read that the trolley stops working Sept 5th so that is not a help. How does the shuttle system work? Are they available immediately off the ship port? Also available for a return to the ship? Any chance for Uber or lift rides? I would appreciate any information that anyone can post. Thanks

I will be on a cruise late in September and have searched a little for transportation as my husband would not be able to walk half a mile. We are just interested in getting to the Sunday market for a quick walk through. I read that the trolley stops working Sept 5th so that is not a help. How does the shuttle system work? Are they available immediately off the ship port? Also available for a return to the ship? Any chance for Uber or lift rides? I would appreciate any information that anyone can post. Thanks

There is a bus system in Astoria (http://www.nworegontransit.org/agencies/sunset-empire-transportation-district/) and from what I can tell, there's a bus on Sundays through October that goes by the Sunday Market. However, it doesn't run near the port, so you would have to take two buses. Also, the one that goes close to the Market only runs a few times a day, so not really useful to cruisers.

I'd probably see if Lyft or Uber is operating in Astoria and order one of those. Even if you haven't used those companies before, they're not really hard to use, assuming you have a smart phone and have signed up in advance. Most ships dock near a street called Portway, a little west of the long bridge that goes over to Washington. I looked up the address of the market, and I can't imagine it would cost much to go over there, as Astoria's fairly small. I would think that calling an Uber or Lyft car (assuming they exist; maybe the local on here can confirm!)o get back would work, or perhaps you could pre-arrange a ride back.

Of course, I would guess that cabs might be there at the port most times of the day, but who knows? If you take one, I'd definitely arrange for a ride back, or at least have the phone number of a cab company with you!

Other than the post above, I haven't heard that there are any shuttles for cruisers in Astoria, but of course I could be wrong. I've never been there as a cruiser.

There's a small website on the market. If you haven't seen it, you might want to google it.

Hey! Yes, there will be buses right after you get off the ship. Most are school buses with amazing drivers! Although I might be partial as my school districts bus drivers are often there driving. :)

There are lots of stops downtown that you can get off and then they will pick you back up. The Sunday Market is right downtown so you will be fine. No Lyft or Uber here, but there are a few taxis. I recommend Downtown Coffee Shop and Taxi Service.

September is a beautiful time to visit Astoria. Please let me know if I can offer any more advice on our great little town!

Teacher/Bartender

Thanks for the info, School buses would be fine, or for a Taxi, I now have Downtown Coffe Shop and Taxi number on my phone. Great help, visited your town several times in an RV, first time as a cruiser. Nice place to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Astoria for one day July 12 on cruise. There are 4 of us and we have never been there before. We don't like ship excursions and wondered if you could recommend either a private guide or suggest a 4-6 hour itinerary that would give us a taste of Astoria.