Drinks (Milk and Water) for a 3yo.

QUEST2B

Hello,

Will we be boarding the Jewel and are curious to know about drinks for a 3 year old.

He only drinks water or milk, so we will probably end up with the in cabin water service at a exorbitant $39! for 12 1.25lr bottles.

What about Milk - can I purchase a glass of milk? He drinks Baby Cino's too - (just milk, no chocolate or marshmallows, just the froth) Does anyone know if they do those? How much they might be?

Can you use your OBC towards these drinks?

He also is anaphylaxis to peanuts. I have put that down on the website - the online portal - but it just says "food allergies" which is the box i ticked. Do i need to further call them and tell them its a matter of life and death? We have a epipen. Do i need to tell them about that also?

Thanks, sorry if I sound strange, just the way it is with a toddler.

Thanks

Catherine

Edited by QUEST2B
additional request for info:

I've cruised with a 3 year old (actually, I booked a cruise a month after he turned 3, because I was desperate to cruise again).

He was absolutely fine on the cruise. They accommodated his food and liquid requirements (this was on P&O back in 2013) and he loved the kids club. The only problem we encountered was that the travel threw is digestive system out of whack, so in the middle of our dinner out, we were paged back to the kids club to deal with a digestive problem that had been brewing for a few days (I'll leave it to your imagination what that problem was). P&O were really cool about it - we generally had a great cruise and every where we went the staff fussed over our 3yo and our accompanying 4yo. Milk and water flowed in abundance for both of them.

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps we are even on the same cruise. December from Melbourne going to Tassie and the like?

I'm very concerned about his allergy, but I've been told that cruising is a good way to travel for people with allergies. I worry about it 24/7.

Glad to hear about the positive experience. Hopefully the digestive issues won't occur on your next cruise.

While I can't comment on traveling with kids I can give some information. The ticking of the allergy box will mean that when you get to your cabin a letter will contain the details for the chef and his offer to meet and discuss food options with you. While this is not always the answer they will go out of the way to assist and protect.

As for the milk and water question - water was very drinkable. We are very fussy and my husband who has super sensitive taste was fine with the water freely available in every public area. I bought water but we ended up not really needing it.

Milk was in the pantry at breakfast time but can't recall during the day. I think there is some by the coffee but the coffee machines have the milk powder built in so jugs of milk aren't really required. You should be able to get a fluffy ok and you will be able to use your OBC for this. Sorry I don't know the price, my photos of the coffee prices was from the pantry not the cafe so didn't have the full menu in them.

I am sure the cruise will be great for you - they want you to have a relaxing time and that you come back. Talk to the staff as they will be happy to try their best for you.

Can't answer all your questions but I have traveled a few times on P&O with toddlers and have found milk easily obtainable. Usually at breakfast there are self serve milk jugs or milk on tap for cereal which you can use to fill up bottles/containers for your little one and and you will have a small fridge in your cabin on the Jewel that you can store milk in for when you need it. Outside of breakfast hours you can still get your bottles filled with milk at The Pantry, you just may have to ask a staff member to do this for you as they don't have jugs of milk for self serve apart from breakfast time. You can also take your bottles to any restaurant/bar (including Waterfront) and they will happily fill them for you with milk. Also, staff will sterilise bottles etc on request, in fact our room steward offered many times to take our spare bottles and have them sterilised too!

We have always purchased the water on board as you can't bring bottled water with you. The last P&O ship we were on last year was Eden and I think (from my bad memory) the water that you purchase in cabin was around $24 for 6 x 1.5 litre bottles (buy 4 get 2 free) but if you think you would drink more than that then $39 for 12 bottles for pre-purchase would be better. You can take the water off with you when you leave if you don't drink it all on board.

As far as the anaphylaxis is concerned, I would not rely on the ticked box alone and hope someone takes note of it, I would be mentioning it to your waiter and guest services, room steward, kids club and any other staff who may be involved in food preparation or in regular contact with you and your little one, just to be safe :)

Have a great holiday, I'm sure you will be looked after well!

Hello,

Will we be boarding the Jewel and are curious to know about drinks for a 3 year old.

He only drinks water or milk, so we will probably end up with the in cabin water service at a exorbitant $39! for 12 1.25lr bottles.

What about Milk - can I purchase a glass of milk? He drinks Baby Cino's too - (just milk, no chocolate or marshmallows, just the froth) Does anyone know if they do those? How much they might be?

Can you use your OBC towards these drinks?

He also is anaphylaxis to peanuts. I have put that down on the website - the online portal - but it just says "food allergies" which is the box i ticked. Do i need to further call them and tell them its a matter of life and death? We have a epipen. Do i need to tell them about that also?

Thanks, sorry if I sound strange, just the way it is with a toddler.

Thanks

Catherine

• 3 weeks later...

I always take some Devondale milk poppers (available in the long life milk section in the supermarket) for my little one to have on hand, I pack them in his carry-on back pack with his other things & snacks and it's never been an issue on any cruise line including the twice on the Jewel.