Your booking experience

I'm familiar with the booking options that apply to mass market ocean cruises, but I don't know much about the booking options for US-based river cruises. Did you book directly with AQSC or did you book through a TA? If the latter, were you able to get any perks or price benefits beyond what was available from direct booking? Is there much price fluctuation, as there is with ocean cruises?

We are looking at the 8/11/19 American Queen 16 day itinerary from Minneapolis to New Orleans, if that helps. And the American Queen 2019 brochure has a 'deal' for that sailing of $1200 off brochure price ($600 pp).

Any advice, guidance, or insights would be greatly appreciated.

We book directly but you might get some perks from a TA. OBC is not a big deal for us on AQ because wine is free at dinner and that is pretty much all we drink. Be aware that in order to get that $1200 savings you probably have to pay the whole fare at booking time. We have booked for next year - the 23 day Mighty Mississippi - and in our opinion it was just too much money to pay so far in advance.

We're taking our third cruise with them in May. We've always booked thru our TA. They don't seem to offer much in the way of discounts. Not like an ocean cruise. This is a U.S. ship with an American crew and a smaller number of passengers so that may account for the higher cost. The crew, food, entertainment and shore excursions have been wonderful so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

We book directly but you might get some perks from a TA. OBC is not a big deal for us on AQ because wine is free at dinner and that is pretty much all we drink. Be aware that in order to get that $1200 savings you probably have to pay the whole fare at booking time. We have booked for next year - the 23 day Mighty Mississippi - and in our opinion it was just too much money to pay so far in advance.

Yeah, it is a lot of money to tie up but I understand that cancelling prior to 91 days of sailing would get it all back minus a $250 pp 'administrative' fee. And I'm paying by credit card, so if they go bust I am covered. So while the big up-front payment doesn't thrill me, neither is it a dealbreaker for us, although I could certainly understand that it would be for a lot of folks. Risking 500 to save 1200 is not a bad deal.

I think I'll just go ahead and book directly with them when the time come. Do you have any cabin selection advice - midship vs. further aft?

Thanks.

We're taking our third cruise with them in May. We've always booked thru our TA. They don't seem to offer much in the way of discounts. Not like an ocean cruise. This is a U.S. ship with an American crew and a smaller number of passengers so that may account for the higher cost. The crew, food, entertainment and shore excursions have been wonderful so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Yeah, I understand why it costs what it does, but the boat looks beautiful, and it is hard for me to imagine a better way to see the USA. After this I'm going to look at some kind of East-West cross country train tour - but I wish we had an Atlantic to Pacific river in the US, because wouldn't THAT make a great cruise.

I would avoid the cabins up front near the Chart Room on Deck 4. We had one of them and people kept trying to open our doors thinking it was a public area! Also, we heard complaints about the cabins at the stern close to the Paddlewheel. Otherwise I don't think you can go wrong - it is not a huge boat that requires a lot of walking to get around. The elevators and interior stairs are midship, in case that matters.

Thanks for your reply in both threads. Good information.

Just to do closure, I pulled the trigger for the 8/11/19 Mighty Mississippi. Cabin 516. I took advantage of the $1200 discount and added the all-inclusive beverage package ($699 for the cabin, which at $22 pp, pd, seemed worthwhile). I booked directly with AQSC.

Now, to calm down and endure the 17 month wait. Fortunately I have some good trips in between to distract me.

Thanks again for those who shared their knowledge and experiences.

Just to do closure, I pulled the trigger for the 8/11/19 Mighty Mississippi. Cabin 516. I took advantage of the $1200 discount and added the all-inclusive beverage package ($699 for the cabin, which at $22 pp, pd, seemed worthwhile). I booked directly with AQSC.

Now, to calm down and endure the 17 month wait. Fortunately I have some good trips in between to distract me.

Thanks again for those who shared their knowledge and experiences.

It's worth the wait.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We booked our October 2017 American Empress cruise over a year in advance and paid in full to take advantage of the early discount. That's the only discount they offer. Our TA did give us some OBC, but you can't use OBC for gratuities. It is well worth the wait - they run a fantastic cruise line and we enjoyed every minute!

This is a great thread! I am looking to book the American Empress for my mom as soon as the June 2020 opens for booking. I am the TA booking for my mom, she finds it very handy to just call and say "book it" :'):'):'):'):halo: :D

During this past February I was on the AQ and was planning on booking a trip on the AMERICAN DUCHESS during early next year, but there is no longer a person onboard to book future cruises through. During the 2017 season there was someone to book future travels with and get certain benefits for booking. I asked at the Purser's office and they had me write my name and address with others interested in booking onboard which I did. Supposedly someone was to contact me about booking. I'm still waiting and I've since decided to book on the QM2 for a Winter transatlantic crossing for the same time period I was considering the AD.

How unfortunate - and foolish - that they did not have someone contact you immediately, especially as you are a frequent and, you'd think, valued customer. We too have had an issue with them, with a promise made by the booking department that they would not later honor.

This is a great thread! I am looking to book the American Empress for my mom as soon as the June 2020 opens for booking. I am the TA booking for my mom, she finds it very handy to just call and say "book it" :'):'):'):'):halo: :D

She will LOVE this cruise! We found it very hard to find info about it on these boards so if there's any questions I can answer, let me know and I'll try to help.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, it is a lot of money to tie up but I understand that cancelling prior to 91 days of sailing would get it all back minus a $250 pp 'administrative' fee. And I'm paying by credit card, so if they go bust I am covered. So while the big up-front payment doesn't thrill me, neither is it a dealbreaker for us, although I could certainly understand that it would be for a lot of folks. Risking 500 to save 1200 is not a bad deal.

I think I'll just go ahead and book directly with them when the time come. Do you have any cabin selection advice - midship vs. further aft?

Thanks.

Booking with a TA will benefit you as the Agent is your advocate. It doesn’t cost anything it use a TA and it helps small business!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked on Duchess taking the July 16th sailing, a 23 day cruise from New Orleans to Minnesota. I require an wheelchair accessible room and was concerned because those rooms are at the aft by the paddlewheel. I spoke with a AMQ consultant, who

requires a wheelchair

accessible

room and recently

completed a Duchess cruise, he assured me there was no splash back from the paddlewheel. I hope he is correct and will let everyone know when we return in August.

Enjoy your cruise.

Booking with a TA will benefit you as the Agent is your advocate. It doesn’t cost anything it use a TA and it helps small business!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't need an advocate. It doesn't cost anything to book direct. If small businesses want my business they have to offer something, not make special pleadings.

I'm fine using a TA if there is an advantage. So far, in the limited universe of US-based river cruising I haven't seen any tangible advantage to booking through a TA.

I don't need an advocate. It doesn't cost anything to book direct. If small businesses want my business they have to offer something, not make special pleadings.

I'm fine using a TA if there is an advantage. So far, in the limited universe of US-based river cruising I haven't seen any tangible advantage to booking through a TA.

Going on the Empress in September. My TA is providing a $475 OBC or refund after the cruise for booking through her. :D