Laundry on Seabourn Quest

russianrex

We have booked our first cruise on Seabourn for November this year (Patagonia and Antarctica). We have only sailed mainstream cruise lines previously (predominantly Royal Caribbean and Holland America).

I was happy to note that there was a laundry on board which I would like to make use of. Bewilderingly, I also read elsewhere that it was a bit of a fight to access it!

Having never sailed with Seabourn before, I was under the impression that most people would pay for private laundry service, and that I might be the only "peasant" using these facilities. :p

Are these facilities packed to the brim? Or are they easy to access any time of the day/night? Any tips/laundry etiquette advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There are 2 laundries opposite each other on deck 5.

From memory 2 washers and 2 dryers in each, plus a trough and ironing boards.

Early morning is the best time to access the laundry as they can become very busy.

Some people take a chair outside, read a book and have champagne delivered while they're waiting, (true)

Nothing to do with peasants, some of the wealthiest people use the laundry as they won't trust their expensive clothes to the ship's laundry

I miss my times in the laundry, I've made some lovely friends over the years, my wife would ask "Who's that attractive lady I saw you chatting to ? and I'd reply "Oh, that's xyz, we met in the laundry yesterday"

The paid laundry is $50 a bag, (no charge once you've cruised a bit with Seabourn.) I used to be able to stuff a weeks wear of my clothes (shirts, socks, undies, slacks numbering about 43 items total in the bag; I think that the record on here (CC) is over 50 items

Laundry etiquette. (I'll probably be "flamed" for this)

If a machine has finished and the person hasn't appeared in say 5 minutes, it's OK to take their items out and put them in a basket.

DO NOT do as someone did to me once, took my clothes out of the washer before it had finished and put them in the dryer on high heat, they still had the detergent in them !

BTW. the detergent is supplied

There are 2 laundries opposite each other on deck 5.

From memory 2 washers and 2 dryers in each, plus a trough and ironing boards.

Early morning is the best time to access the laundry as they can become very busy.

Some people take a chair outside, read a book and have champagne delivered while they're waiting, (true)

Nothing to do with peasants, some of the wealthiest people use the laundry as they won't trust their expensive clothes to the ship's laundry

I miss my times in the laundry, I've made some lovely friends over the years, my wife would ask "Who's that attractive lady I saw you chatting to ? and I'd reply "Oh, that's xyz, we met in the laundry yesterday"

The paid laundry is $50 a bag, (no charge once you've cruised a bit with Seabourn.) I used to be able to stuff a weeks wear of my clothes (shirts, socks, undies, slacks numbering about 43 items total in the bag; I think that the record on here (CC) is over 50 items

Laundry etiquette. (I'll probably be "flamed" for this)

If a machine has finished and the person hasn't appeared in say 5 minutes, it's OK to take their items out and put them in a basket.

DO NOT do as someone did to me once, took my clothes out of the washer before it had finished and put them in the dryer on high heat, they still had the detergent in them !

BTW. the detergent is supplied

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated. Perhaps I shall make it my goal to try and top the record of 50 items in a bag! ;p

As usual, its all about timing so pick your moment. Sea days are busier for obvious reasons. Machines and detergent are free and the various washing cycles quite fast so you shouldn't have to wait too long even if all of them are in use.

The ship's laundry service is very good but don't give them your delicate fabrics or things that require a cold wash like wool or linen. I'm afraid I know too many people who've had items damaged. We aren't too proud to do a cold hand wash in the bathtub and drip dry on hangers over it. Take a few detergent pods.

Seabourn provides soap powder but it you use laundry softener bring dryer sheets to use when you dry your clothes. I als have no problem taking no clothes out of the washer and placing them in a basket. Someone probably forgot and got involved in a game, conversation or fell asleep. Be sure to double check the washer to make sure all of their items are removed.

Here is a comprehensive photo album of Quest's launderette: https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seabourn-quest-596/launderette-387741/

I agree that you need to be strategic about timing. I believe I did mine after dinner and just hung out in the Club down the hall on Deck 5. No matter what time you go, someone else always seems to be waiting for a free washer or dryer. I want to say the dryers took a long time to dry (or perhaps we overstuffed them).

Here is a comprehensive photo album of Quest's launderette: https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seabourn-quest-596/launderette-387741/

I agree that you need to be strategic about timing. I believe I did mine after dinner and just hung out in the Club down the hall on Deck 5. No matter what time you go, someone else always seems to be waiting for a free washer or dryer. I want to say the dryers took a long time to dry (or perhaps we overstuffed them).

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

The ship's laundry service is very good but don't give them your delicate fabrics or things that require a cold wash like wool or linen. I'm afraid I know too many people who've had items damaged. We aren't too proud to do a cold hand wash in the bathtub and drip dry on hangers over it. Take a few detergent pods.

There is a clothes line that can be extended over the tub.

And shampoo is an excellent detergent for "delicates."

• 4 weeks later...

We tend to take cheap or older socks, undies etc on cruises and throw them out after wearing them. That tends to confuse the room attendants. Sir, this is not the laundry basket...

Cheaper than having items washed (when there isn't a facility), and it frees up luggage space for souvenir shopping;p

I've had pretty good luck finding open washers and dryers at lunch time. We tend to eat lunch late (2 or so), and between 12 and 1:30 tends to be a slow time in the laundry.

I've had pretty good luck finding open washers and dryers at lunch time. We tend to eat lunch late (2 or so), and between 12 and 1:30 tends to be a slow time in the laundry.

Thanks for the extra info. Most appreciated. :)

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, Derby Street said:

Yes I also cannot see them on the Quest Deck Plan - or am I having a Dad look?

All Odyssey Class ships have them on Deck 5 near the meeting rooms.

If you look at the Deck Plan PDF on Deck 5, right next to the meeting rooms either side of the hallway there is a symbol of a square with a black dot. On the key you will see that is the symbol for self-serve laundrette. Hope this helps.😊

Julie

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

If you look at the Deck Plan PDF on Deck 5, right next to the meeting rooms either side of the hallway there is a symbol of a square with a black dot. On the key you will see that is the symbol for self-serve laundrette. Hope this helps.😊

Julie

Thank you.  Back when I booked this cruise in June or so, I looked to see if by chance there were guest laundry room, and I was happy to see there were two.  I checked again yesterday by using Google, and several of the websites said no self-service laundry.  Which changes my whole game plan for packing.  I saw there had been a refurb in 2018, and one of the things the other ships do first is remove the self-service laundry rooms.  So happy to know they are still there.  

14 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Julie

Got it - thanks I will now be able to give DW the directions 😉

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Derby Street said:

Got it - thanks I will now be able to give DW the directions 😉

Go there yourself with a bag or two.  You might be lucky to meet Bigdog my husband who LIKES to do laundry, and he could show you the ropes.  Of course, all of my white lingerie is now pink ... Oh well, the price we pay.