Puerto Vallarta/ Mazatlan/ Cabo

eyegirl

We are stopping at these ports and don't plan on really doing much! Does anyone know if there is anything to do close by where the ship docks? Shopping? Town to walk around?

And, is it safe to do that (assuming we don't wear jewelry, etc)!

Thanks in advance for any info

We are stopping at these ports and don't plan on really doing much! Does anyone know if there is anything to do close by where the ship docks? Shopping? Town to walk around?

And, is it safe to do that (assuming we don't wear jewelry, etc)!

Thanks in advance for any info

There is plenty do to. Scroll through the boards here, look on Trip Advisor, you’ll find some great ideas, many of them inexpensive. No need to book any excursions with the cruise line. Wearing some jewelry is fine as long as you don’t look like “Diamond Lil”. Just like anywhere, be aware of your surroundings and try not to stick out and make yourself a target.

In Cabo...you are right near Médano beach..walk around all the shops by the pier..go down to the beach and find a quiet bar/restaurant and have a bite and people watch.

Mazatlán has the BLUE LINE..go for. Walk..follow,it and you will come to the old town..shops, cathedrals, food etc. nice leisurely time.

PV..catch a bus or taxi into town..walk along the sea wall..lots of fun statues and plenty places to sit, have a drink or meal and relax.

We have always felt safe, even with children long doing these things. Enjoy

We spend the winter in Puerto Vallarta and feel very safe. If you want to shop there is a huge indoor (upscale) mall practically across the street from the port. It is the Galeria mall and has a huge department store called Liverpool and lots of smaller boutiques. There is also a food court with a great view of the ocean and the ship from the second floor. Also a Walmart right next door.

You could hop on a bus or grab a yellow taxi outside the port and go to the Malecon and see all the restaurants and shops etc. Lots to see and do in that area. Read some of the posts here on cruise critic with lots of good information.

I would not miss the city of Puerto Vallarta by staying right near the port.

Get off the ship and take a taxi to the malecon(mah-le cone) boardwalk where you can wander along the seafront and visit shops or sit at an outdoor cafe for a drink or snack. It is not dangerous!! It is delightful!

There is nothing right at the port in Mazatlan. The city is also perfectly fine to visit.

• 2 weeks later...
Puerto Vallarta. You can go to the beach and there is one close by.

Keith

Hi Keith... what is the name of the beach near the PV port and how does one get there? Can one buy reasonably priced beer at that particular beach as well? We have a few college aged kids coming with us on our extended family cruise and they are looking for cheap things like that to do - cheap beer and sunshine! Thanks in advance...

Hi Keith... what is the name of the beach near the PV port and how does one get there? Can one buy reasonably priced beer at that particular beach as well? We have a few college aged kids coming with us on our extended family cruise and they are looking for cheap things like that to do - cheap beer and sunshine! Thanks in advance...

Mexican beer is inexpensive in the restaurants at the restaurants along the Malecon and along the water.

The beach close to the cruise terminal is free, but no facilities there. (Facilities are for hotelguests only, unless you buy a daypass.) If you want beer etc. take a cab to Sea Monkey near old town. Known for its cheap Margaritas etc. Besides you will like the location.

The beach by the port at Puerto Vallarta is about a 10 minute walk going right along the port from pier 3 (north) which is where Carnival seems to be docking now since the private yacht is tied up at pier 1 (south). You walk from pier 3 right along the port past pier 2 (NCL was docked there) toward pier 1 and then cut across the Mercado (market) and walk toward the beach along the wall of the Crown Paradise Hotel. The beach is public but there are no amenities or restaurants as the hotels all front along the beach.

Were doing this cruise at Christmas this year. We went in 2015 also. Did not care for Cabo so we will either stay onboard or take a cab and go to a beach. In Mazatlan, We are going to walk the blue line. Last time we took an excursion that lasted all day. I was disappointed in not really seeing the city. I want to walk to a plaza, have a little food and a couple of beers. We loved PV..LOVED. If you take a cab to the city (we went to Rio Cuale) walk a ways away. We were overcharged by our own ignorance. We shopped at the Rio Cuale and a little dress shop across the street. Walked to the Malecon and had lunch at The Union Brewery. Had a few dozen oysters and other stuff and a few beers...cost was $50!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We were in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas in May 2018.

In PV, we took the Signature Taco tour via vallartaeats.com. It was outstanding. We met at 10 a.m. and proceeded to eat and a number of very small taco stands that you probably would never notice or stop at on your own. First stop, for breakfast, we had 2 beef tacos-one soft, one crispy served with a warm beef broth and hibiscus flavored water to drink. Stop 2 was a carnitas taco-probably 15 local folks in line at the stand in front of us upon arrival-it was my wife's second favorite taco of the day. Stop 3 was for fried mahi mahi tacos-my favorite of the tour. Then we stopped by a store that raised their own pigs and sells associated products. We had pork rinds-not my favorite but good to learn about local tastes. Our cab driver on the way back to the ship loved them and we left 2 packs for him. Next stop was a small store that processes and makes their own corn tortillas-we ate them fresh off the line. We then went through a small fruit and vegetable store that was very interesting and our guide gave us a lot of information on the food and their use. We then went to our 4th taco stand for a ceviche chalupa-watch the spices you can use. I got a hot one and had to drink a ton of water and I love spicy food. Our 5th taco stand served quesadillas-my wife went crazy; she's still talking about how wonderful they were. Our guide bought us a lemon with mint drink and we wish we could have brought gallons back with us. We ended the tour with a stop for ice cream. They had coconut, mango, passion fruit, pineapple popsicles. And, this was all by 1 p.m. Really did not need dinner on the ship that night.

If you use a taxi, go across the street to the WalMart/Sams parking lot to catch one that is yellow. DO NOT use the taxis inside the pier fencing. We went to Old Town for our taco tour and paid $8 USD each way. The taxis inside the fence charged $24 USD each way for the same ride.

We were in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas in May 2018.

In PV, we took the Signature Taco tour via vallartaeats.com. It was outstanding. We met at 10 a.m. and proceeded to eat and a number of very small taco stands that you probably would never notice or stop at on your own. First stop, for breakfast, we had 2 beef tacos-one soft, one crispy served with a warm beef broth and hibiscus flavored water to drink. Stop 2 was a carnitas taco-probably 15 local folks in line at the stand in front of us upon arrival-it was my wife's second favorite taco of the day. Stop 3 was for fried mahi mahi tacos-my favorite of the tour. Then we stopped by a store that raised their own pigs and sells associated products. We had pork rinds-not my favorite but good to learn about local tastes. Our cab driver on the way back to the ship loved them and we left 2 packs for him. Next stop was a small store that processes and makes their own corn tortillas-we ate them fresh off the line. We then went through a small fruit and vegetable store that was very interesting and our guide gave us a lot of information on the food and their use. We then went to our 4th taco stand for a ceviche chalupa-watch the spices you can use. I got a hot one and had to drink a ton of water and I love spicy food. Our 5th taco stand served quesadillas-my wife went crazy; she's still talking about how wonderful they were. Our guide bought us a lemon with mint drink and we wish we could have brought gallons back with us. We ended the tour with a stop for ice cream. They had coconut, mango, passion fruit, pineapple popsicles. And, this was all by 1 p.m. Really did not need dinner on the ship that night.

If you use a taxi, go across the street to the WalMart/Sams parking lot to catch one that is yellow. DO NOT use the taxis inside the pier fencing. We went to Old Town for our taco tour and paid $8 USD each way. The taxis inside the fence charged $24 USD each way for the same ride.

Yay, thanks for the great review! I've booked this same tour for June. Can't wait.