Internet

cruisesoon

Can anyone that has been on a seabourn cruise lately tell me the internet rates. We will be gone for 36 days next year and would like to get the unlimited package since I know it can be slow and don't want to worry about minutes not connecting!

Can anyone that has been on a seabourn cruise lately tell me the internet rates. We will be gone for 36 days next year and would like to get the unlimited package since I know it can be slow and don't want to worry about minutes not connecting!

The unlimited package is $399.95, regardless of the length of cruise. You might find this site helpful https://www.tipsfortravellers.com/seabourn-cruises-tips-tricks-advice/

We have just returned from a 14 day cruise. Like you, I only check e mails Etc. I think the rate is 40 cent a minute? I took the 39.99 US dollars package plus two twenty dollar packets, that was plenty for both of us in two weeks.

Silversea Cruises have revealed that they will be introducing complimentary Wi-Fi from April 2018 onwards.

The free unlimited Wi-Fi will apply to all guests regardless of which grade of accommodation they stay in.

===

Hope seabourn will follow it soon

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

It's only a matter of time. SB will have to compete in this area. Internet is no longer a luxury.

I agree and talking to some of the officers on Sojourn, they too are aware of this reality. Whether Seattle is there yet is another matter.

Although I am taking a two week Seabourn cruise in May, the cost of Internet is a factor in why I have taken two Viking Ocean cruises in the past two years. I am taking my next cruise on Seabourn because of the itinerary but all things being equal would pick Viking because of the free Internet and some of the free excursions. Also, I do not drink so that is not a factor with me in the cost benefit computation. It is not just the money for the internet but the feeling that they are gouging on the cost and "nickle and dimeing" which is one of the reason I like the luxury cruise experience! I guess the almost $20,000.00 I am paying is not enough to offset the cost associated with internet that Viking and other cruise lines are able to provide for free.

• Like 1

I agree that Seabourn should include unlimited internet access as part of the all inclusive package. That is what their passengers would expect and what they should deliver. Instead, they are using internet access as a profit center.

I agree that Seabourn should include unlimited internet access as part of the all inclusive package. That is what their passengers would expect and what they should deliver. Instead, they are using internet access as a profit center.

It is all very well providing unlimited internet but they also need to address the bandwidth issue. If everyone is using the internet but the bandwidth remains as is then it will be even slower, if that is possible, than it is now.

It isn't so much that Seabourn are profit 'gouging' as alleged by another poster or using internet access as a "profit center" as you suggest. Rather, I think they are trying to use a fee as a way of discouraging guests from being online all the time and killing performance. Obviously, this policy is becoming unsustainable given changing expectations and changing demographics.

However, including unlimited access without a significant improvement in bandwidth will simply make matters worse.

The Viking Ocean cruise ships have over 900 passengers but their free internet is superior to what I experienced on Seabourn with fewer passengers and at great expense so it appears that Viking has solved the bandwidth issue.

And therein resides the issue. I would prefer 450 passengers and bad internet to 900 passengers and good internet.

• Like 1

And I can't see a reason why it cannot be addressed. Of course I am the person who likes to take a break from the internet while cruising--or do I decide to do that because it is such a hassle to be connected onboard?

I am on AT&T. For cruise ships they offer 200MB of data with unlimited talk and text for $100 on board many cruise ships. It is based on download amount rather than time. Seabourn's internet is about $10 per hour so I wonder how many bytes of data the average passenger uses per hour on a ship. I believe other providers also offer cruise ship plans which may be better than AT&T. AT&T also offers a land plan in Europe - $60 for 1 gig of data.

Roxburgh, I appreciate your comments but wonder how bandwidth can be improved.

Some other lines and corporations are investing in improved satellite connections that increase the bandwidth significantly. We were on Oceania in December had experienced way better connectivity than on Carnival Corp. ships. I've read a lot on CC about other lines (NCL, Celebrity) where internet is improving. Maybe Carnival Corp. ships will catch up someday. One can only hope, as so many of us need it.

Within past few months we have been on two Seabourn ships, one Silversea and Crystal. Seabourn internet service by far the worse. Noticeably poor versus a year ago on both ships. The two lines that offered free unlimited to all had very good service.

I am on AT&T. For cruise ships they offer 200MB of data with unlimited talk and text for $100 on board many cruise ships. It is based on download amount rather than time.

Has AT&T added Seabourn to its cruise ship coverage? It was not included when I checked last year.

For port intensive cruises, I do better using my $10/day unlimited international plan (AT&T) and then turning my phone into a hotspot to allow my other devices to connect. ThIs obviously only works when in/near port when I can get a local cellular signal. I tend to find I am usually too busy otherwise to be online anyhow.

WiFi Internet is clearly a negative on Seabourn, both in terms of quality and price. I’m currently on Sojourn and the WiFi is awful.

This is one competitive weakness that clearly needs to be addressed.

We were on the Encore over Xmas and found our smartphones had faster loading than our Ipads through the ships wifi. No idea why this happened but it worked for us and might be worth a try for people having trouble

Roxburgh, I appreciate your comments but wonder how bandwidth can be improved.

Very simple, Seabourn simply pays for more satellite bandwidth and/or purchases the newest systems that provide increased speeds. The bandwidth is available, somebody just needs to purchase it.