Relief Bands for seasickness

srbbeachbum

Does anyone have experience with some good relief bands for sea sickness.

I've never had a problem with sea sickness or motion sickness but it doesn't

hurt to come prepared. :o

Joan:o

I don't have experience with them Joan but I do see them for sale in the gift shop onboard just in case.

There is an actual electronic product called “Reliefband” that isn’t available on the ship (unless things have changed since this past Jan). I think the ship’s only see the stretchy or Velcro bands that have a little plastic ball to place on the point inside your wrist; they’re also available in your local big box stores and pharmacies.

I use the Velcro type from time to time but mostly rely on bonine. I’m thinking of seeing if I can get an Rx for the Reliefband so I could use FSA funds; would love to not have to take pills!!

I like the stretchy bands from Walmart. I forgot them once and bought the ones on board but they are hard & uncomfortable.

Same here. I'd bought the stretchy ones quite a few years ago on another line. Forgot them last year and had to buy the velcro ones onboard and did not like them as well, although I think they worked ok. I don't know if that's half of it -- THINKING that they work, but I figure that they don't hurt (even if they don't accessorize with my formal wear :D ).

"ReliefBands" purchased on line are terrific for motion sickness. I have used them many times while cruising as I am not a very good sailor. They cost about $75 to $100 and ours have made it through 21+ cruises.

I use Sea Bands -- easily purchased at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Ever since feeling queasy on my first cruise years ago, I've used them on every cruise since, and had no problems at all. I don't know why they work -- but they do -- and that's enough for me :) My pregnant co-workers have also used them successfully for morning sickness. I usually take 2 pairs on my cruise so I don't have to wear the same pair the whole time. Yes they look a bit dorky, but beats being confined to the cabin feeling crappy!

There is an actual electronic product called “Reliefband” that isn’t available on the ship (unless things have changed since this past Jan). I think the ship’s only see the stretchy or Velcro bands that have a little plastic ball to place on the point inside your wrist; they’re also available in your local big box stores and pharmacies.

I use the Velcro type from time to time but mostly rely on bonine. I’m thinking of seeing if I can get an Rx for the Reliefband so I could use FSA funds; would love to not have to take pills!!

If you get the relief band, I would love to know after your cruise how they worked for you. Are you prone to motion sickness? I am and I have used 1/2 non sleepy Dramamine (they still make me sleepy) taken at night. This has worked for me fir 3 cruises, not to get seasick. I would like to not take the meds but, afraid not too! Thanks for any advice and info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"ReliefBands" purchased on line are terrific for motion sickness. I have used them many times while cruising as I am not a very good sailor. They cost about $75 to $100 and ours have made it through 21+ cruises.

FWIW, my wife is worse than "not a very good sailor," which is one reason we only go mid-ship. She has tried everything from prescription medicine to ear patches to the pressure bands to green apples, etc. About ten years ago I bought her the electronic Relief Band, on line, and from then on, spanning at least 30 cruises in all conditions, she's been perfectly fine. The batteries last a long time, and we bring spares. We have been told, but can't verify, that these are also useful treating nausea resulting from chemo treatments.

I personally feel that the mind plays a role in motion sickness, and whatever works for an individual is the way to go. It obviously varies from person to person.

Bruce

We're both prone to motion sickness so we each bought a pair of Sea Bands for our first cruise several years ago. We put them on the first night...felt they looked goofy...took them off the rest of the cruise and never once felt even the slightest bit seasick. Which is amazing, since there was some pretty rough water one night and we witnessed several outstanding exhibitions of puking in public areas. (Sorry if you're reading this while eating lunch).

Maybe the bands have a residual effect (although, somehow I doubt it)...but we were fine without them.

I find Seabands are effective. But not handy when going in pools or hot tubs, or trying to look nice (female with exposed arms). I found a product called Queasy beads. They work very well and look like jewelry. They come in lots of different colors. I got a black pair and white pair and they go with most things. Much nicer looking than Seabands and just as effective. They also do fine in the water of hot tubs or pools. I'm so glad I found them. I was previously trying to find giant sized cuff style bracelets to cover the Seabands at dinner time, that didn't work out at all! A bit too Wonder Woman.

I personally feel that the mind plays a role in motion sickness, and whatever works for an individual is the way to go. It obviously varies from person to person.

Bruce

Absolutely true, however, it is out of my control. My mind does not always override the queasiness.

If you get the relief band, I would love to know after your cruise how they worked for you. Are you prone to motion sickness? I am and I have used 1/2 non sleepy Dramamine (they still make me sleepy) taken at night. This has worked for me fir 3 cruises, not to get seasick. I would like to not take the meds but, afraid not too! Thanks for any advice and info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Patti—

My cruise isn’t until the end of May but others have chimed in about their long-term use. Of the Reliefband, which is encouraging to me.

Yes, I do get motion sick, since early childhood. For cruising, I start meds at night about 3 days before cruise; I has read this top on CC as doing this gets the Dramamine or Bonine into the system; side benefit if it’s the regular drowsy-type, then it helps with sleep those nights just before a cruise! Then I use only the non-drowsy med while onboard (it still makes me sleepy) with a whole one at bedtime and possibly a 1/4 or 1/3 piece during the day if seas are more than I like. This system of keeping some medicine in my system the whole cruise seems to help; I’ve learned the hard way not to quit taking it even if seas are flat because when the seas change, the meds don’t work fast enough for me.

I like the idea of the band as I could wear it all the time, even if it’s turned off, and it will work almost instantaneously (so they say) when I need it. Then I can have wine at dinner and not sleep through the evening show!!

I find Seabands are effective. But not handy when going in pools or hot tubs, or trying to look nice (female with exposed arms). I found a product called Queasy beads. They work very well and look like jewelry. They come in lots of different colors. I got a black pair and white pair and they go with most things. Much nicer looking than Seabands and just as effective. They also do fine in the water of hot tubs or pools. I'm so glad I found them. I was previously trying to find giant sized cuff style bracelets to cover the Seabands at dinner time, that didn't work out at all! A bit too Wonder Woman.

I have the Queasy Beads bracelets also....they look very pretty, and they work. My husband likes his Sea Bands, and they work for him.

Hi Patti—

My cruise isn’t until the end of May but others have chimed in about their long-term use. Of the Reliefband, which is encouraging to me.

Yes, I do get motion sick, since early childhood. For cruising, I start meds at night about 3 days before cruise; I has read this top on CC as doing this gets the Dramamine or Bonine into the system; side benefit if it’s the regular drowsy-type, then it helps with sleep those nights just before a cruise! Then I use only the non-drowsy med while onboard (it still makes me sleepy) with a whole one at bedtime and possibly a 1/4 or 1/3 piece during the day if seas are more than I like. This system of keeping some medicine in my system the whole cruise seems to help; I’ve learned the hard way not to quit taking it even if seas are flat because when the seas change, the meds don’t work fast enough for me.

I like the idea of the band as I could wear it all the time, even if it’s turned off, and it will work almost instantaneously (so they say) when I need it. Then I can have wine at dinner and not sleep through the evening show!!

I understand the sleepy after dinner problem! :wine-glass::wine-glass: I think I will try the band...I'll never know unless I try them. Thank you for your reply!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a question for those that use the electronic Reliefband. I had one for almost a year now and love it. I have yet to use it on a cruise but will later this summer.

My question for those long term users, do you purchase the gel from the company or is there a substitute gel you buy?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I just returned from Alaskan 7 day cruise and used only the electronic Reliefband for the flights, the cruise, and the Tracey Arm catamaran. We had some seas up to about 12-15’ with some Roll; cabin wasn’t facing aft but was almost all the way to the end of the ship on deck 8 of a Princess grand-class ship; the flight home was very bumpy. Both were ‘bad’ enough that I would have been feeling pretty poorly using only Bonine even when I ‘pre-load’ the med for 3 night’s prior to the trip and take a little each day to keep it in my system.

But this trip with Reliefband was great. For the most part, it stayed on my wrist except when showering or if the seas were very calm. When on my wrist, it was turned on but on occasion I was able to turn it off. When on, was at level 5 as the highest but sometimes level 1 was enough. When sleeping, I’d occasionally increase or decrease the level based on the roll of the ship, when I’d awake to turn over. I have the 2.0 version and it was mistaken for a sport band vs. a device for motion sickness; even on formal night, it didn’t look too much out of place as those who wear sport bands, tend to keep the, on regardless of attire.

I did take meds with me...just in case, but didn’t need them.

Though I don’t think the band is for this next situation, it did seem to work: my DH took a medication that he’s supposed to take with food, without eating and it really made him feel badly. He was a bit queasy due to the pill (he never gets motion sick). I gave him the band for a couple of hours and he said it helped to feel not as bad though it didn’t provide complete relief...but we didn’t expect relief so getting some was great.

As for the gel that goes on the wrist prior to placing the contact: it’s a very tiny tube that comes with the band. If the replacement tube is also that tiny, I cannot see paying the ~$14 for it. I haven’t done any googling on the topic but I imagine there are other contact-gel-making-companies out there where we can get a better deal.

If you travel enough, get motions sickness, and can afford the device, I’d recommend it. Not being sleepy from Bonine, grouchy from feeling bad, missing part of the trip having to stay in the cabin, hearing my DH lament about having to do things by himself, etc., etc. made the $179 worth it just for this single cruise and flights!!

Hope this is helpful info! If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.