east-west or west-east?

poss

Have to agree with all of the above... whatever is best for your flying arrangements and whether or not you would rather gain time or "lose" time. The Canal is equally rewarding in either direction.

Now back in the day the preferred direction was west to east... at the Canal that would have been Pacific to Atlantic. The reason was as most ships did not have air conditioning and the prevailing wind was usually better travelling in that direction. I don't think that is an issue nowadays.

Now back in the day the preferred direction was west to east... at the Canal that would have been Pacific to Atlantic. The reason was as most ships did not have air conditioning and the prevailing wind was usually better travelling in that direction. I don't think that is an issue nowadays.

Funny you say that. We did SF-FLL last October. The Canal was standard hot and humid. But the west coast of Central America going down was extremely hot and humid...worse than we have seen in the Caribbean. High 90s in temps, and about 80% humidity. By the time we got to the Canal, we were very used to the Canal's temps. Then the Caribbean cooled noticeably as we proceeded to Florida.

I appreciate the feedback-- thank you.

Btw, I actually did do a search because it seemed to me that the question had surely been asked before. I guess I'm not good at knowing how to use the "search" function since I didn't come up with anything.

I think most of the discussions focus on 'which side of the ship should I have my balcony'... But to return to the topic....I think the most impressive sight is when approaching Gatun Locks from the Atlantic side, and you can see a ship up in the top lock. Absolutely amazing. EM

Also commonly discussed, there is no "best" side. You need to be wondering around, seeing from a variety of sides and angles. Try to be on the bow as you go through a lock, being on the Promenade Deck (or whatever it is called on your ship) which going through a lock is also neat.

I like going East to West because we set the clock backwards a few times rather then forward and I much prefer moving the clocks back.

I focus on where the ship is located (I prefer mid-ship) rather then what side I am on.

Keith

Funny you say that. We did SF-FLL last October. The Canal was standard hot and humid. But the west coast of Central America going down was extremely hot and humid...worse than we have seen in the Caribbean. High 90s in temps, and about 80% humidity. By the time we got to the Canal, we were very used to the Canal's temps. Then the Caribbean cooled noticeably as we proceeded to Florida.

While the amount of breeze could vary a great deal over the year, if there was any breeze to be had, the Atlantic end of the Canal is where you would find it. Almost always out of the north, off the sea.

Once in awhile when someone wanted to sarcastically refer to something of little value or lack of substance, you would say it was like a Colon sandwich. Every now and again there be someone who would ask... what's a Colon sandwich? The answer was always... a piece of bread and a breeze, probably the two easiest things to find there!

While the amount of breeze could vary a great deal over the year, if there was any breeze to be had, the Atlantic end of the Canal is where you would find it. Almost always out of the north, off the sea.

Once in awhile when someone wanted to sarcastically refer to something of little value or lack of substance, you would say it was like a Colon sandwich. Every now and again there be someone who would ask... what's a Colon sandwich? The answer was always... a piece of bread and a breeze, probably the two easiest things to find there!

That was interesting Bill but my definition of a colon sandwich is much different..:o

At any rate, we did East to West the first time. We'll be going West to East in February.

It continues to amaze me that so many folks do the transit again and again. I know that the canal is an engineering marvel, and I'd like to experience the wonders, but most of the ports don't seem all that interesting to me. I guess I'll find out, since I'm planning to do the cruise in early 2020 (east to west).

It continues to amaze me that so many folks do the transit again and again. I know that the canal is an engineering marvel, and I'd like to experience the wonders, but most of the ports don't seem all that interesting to me. I guess I'll find out, since I'm planning to do the cruise in early 2020 (east to west).

One reason is the new additions to the Canal. We have sailed the Canal 4 times, but only our last (we transited last Nov 1) had the completed and operational new locks.

If you do some research on the history, you will get the idea just how remarkable the Canal is (and was for it's time). And that 100+ year old design and equipment is still extremely efficient and functional.

When we were planning our first transit (which we did last year, Miami to LA), I too thought that some of the ports did not seem that they would be all that interesting, especially along the "Mexican Riviera." Happily, I was quite wrong! (Except for Puerto Chiapas.)

While Canal cruises don't have the same itineraries, in case this is of help to you, here's the link to my very detailed trip report, including what we did in each of the ports. (I'm sorry that you can longer see most of my photos; PhotoBucket is holding them [and those of many other posters here on CC] hostage to huge $$$ demands].)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

Enjoy your planning!

That was interesting Bill but my definition of a colon sandwich is much different..:o

At any rate, we did East to West the first time. We'll be going West to East in February.

Just to put things in perspective and not a play on words, the city known as Colon is part of two towns one named Cristobal and the other Colon. They were twin cities of sorts and shared the same streets. Cristobal was eventually absorbed by Colon, however the area where the piers are is still known as Cristobal. The naming the area Cristobal Colon is for the gent who first landed there on his fourth voyage to the New World. We all know him as Christopher Columbus.

English speakers pronounce the name as "coal-lon", not like the punctuation mark : or the part of the anatomy. Spanish speakers on the other hand pronounce it like "co lone" and spell it Colón accenting the second o.

No attempt at double entendre :D.

Many thanks for the responses.

Ok, so now for the "which side" question: If we're transiting east to west, which is best side for viewing?

Attached is something I put on some of the more prominent sites to see. It's not intended to be all inclusive, but just to give an idea and a place to start looking. Please don't use this as a reason to homestead the balcony, save that for a sea day!

I think it is quite common for those cruisers who have enjoyed the Canal, enjoy it more than once. Every time you make a transit you seem to get a little more out of it. While some of the port calls may not be the 5 star attraction, I think by and large most of them are completely enjoyable and worth the stop.

Atlantic to Pacific Transit.docx