Anzac day onboard

Hi all,

Just a quick question re Anzac Day onboard (us this year!!). Is the dawn service the only service held? Or is there something later as well?

Also, whilst the dawn service is on, is the ship still moving, i.e. how cold will it be on deck? We have a 7 year old with us and just need to know if she will need a really warm jacket? Don't want to hear 'I'm cold Nan'!!!

P.S. Have I told you we sail Thursday:pclear.png?emoji-tongue-1703:D

Thanks

Jenny

Hi all,

Just a quick question re Anzac Day onboard (us this year!!). Is the dawn service the only service held? Or is there something later as well?

Also, whilst the dawn service is on, is the ship still moving, i.e. how cold will it be on deck? We have a 7 year old with us and just need to know if she will need a really warm jacket? Don't want to hear 'I'm cold Nan'!!!

P.S. Have I told you we sail Thursday:pclear.png?emoji-tongue-1703:D

Thanks

Jenny

Which ship.

We’ve been onboard Princess a few times for ANZAC day and they’ve had a few observances.

Dawn Service has always been on deck, and unless you’re in Port the ship is moving (a stationary ship at sea, isn’t usually a good experience).

Will it be cold is hard to answer, and will depend on the weather in the region you are sailing, I’d certainly take some gear you can wrap the little one in, remember that you could have a substantial wind chill, if your sailing into say a 20 knot breeze at 29 knots you’re going to have an effective 40 knot wind.

In 2005 we cruised on Pacific Princess, Sydney to Osaka - 'Theatre of War cruise.'

Anzac Day fell whilst we were in the Coral Sea. We hove to and had a very memorable service, wreaths thrown into the water, ships band playing the hymns and a big turnout with the Captain and a RC Priest in attendance. A few days later we hove to and anchored off Iwo Jima for another service. There were quite a few US Marine Corp Vets from WW2 on board. as we called in at Rabaul, Saipan, Guam, Hiroshima, Okinawa etc.

'We Will Remember Them - Lest we Forget.'

Which ship.

We’ve been onboard Princess a few times for ANZAC day and they’ve had a few observances.

Dawn Service has always been on deck, and unless you’re in Port the ship is moving (a stationary ship at sea, isn’t usually a good experience).

Will it be cold is hard to answer, and will depend on the weather in the region you are sailing, I’d certainly take some gear you can wrap the little one in, remember that you could have a substantial wind chill, if your sailing into say a 20 knot breeze at 29 knots you’re going to have an effective 40 knot wind.

Thanks for your reply. We'll be on Sun Princess

Hi Jenny:)

We were on the Dawn Princess on ANZAC day as we sailed into Milne Bay PNG.

There was a march, which met on promendade and made their way into the Vista lounge, where a service was held.

Later the Captain threw a wreath over the side, it was such a beautiful morning and one we will remember.

I think being in PNG made it more special as some of us onboard had family that had served there and never came home.

I really think it depends on the Captain and staff as to how the day is remembered.

Chez

We had the amazing opportunity in 2015 to experience Anzac Day Dawn Service from the deck of a ship offshore from Gallipoli itself. Unforgettable, amazing, beautiful ........we needed coats.

Bucket list recommendation is a visit here and the Battlefields in France.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Jenny:)

We were on the Dawn Princess on ANZAC day as we sailed into Milne Bay PNG.

There was a march, which met on promendade and made their way into the Vista lounge, where a service was held.

Later the Captain threw a wreath over the side, it was such a beautiful morning and one we will remember.

I think being in PNG made it more special as some of us onboard had family that had served there and never came home.

I really think it depends on the Captain and staff as to how the day is remembered.

Chez

Thanks Chez, great to 'chat'.

Jenny

Thanks Chez, great to 'chat'.

Jenny

Been years Jenny, I remember the day I met you......at the Observer Hotel for our CC sailaway party for the Pacifc Dawn's first ever cruise out of Sydney, must have been 2007?

Time flies.......4 grandchildren later haha!

Been years Jenny, I remember the day I met you......at the Observer Hotel for our CC sailaway party for the Pacifc Dawn's first ever cruise out of Sydney, must have been 2007?

Excuse me for butting in Chez and Jenny, it would have been October or November 2007, after Pacific Dawn's changeover from Regal Princess which was mostly done in Singapore and between LA and Sydney, I know, because we were on the last cruise of Regal, got smashed in the big 12 metre seas off NZ South Island.

Carry on !!:o

Excuse me for butting in Chez and Jenny, it would have been October or November 2007, after Pacific Dawn's changeover from Regal Princess which was mostly done in Singapore and between LA and Sydney, I know, because we were on the last cruise of Regal, got smashed in the big 12 metre seas off NZ South Island.

Carry on !!:o

Les, that woud be right.

A large group of us CCers did a tour of the ship the day before, had dinner out, they did a laser show on the Pacific Dawn that night then we had a Sailaway party at the pub.

That was when we only had one ship sailing from Sydney;p it was big deal!!

Les, that woud be right.

A large group of us CCers did a tour of the ship the day before, had dinner out, they did a laser show on the Pacific Dawn that night then we had a Sailaway party at the pub.

That was when we only had one ship sailing from Sydney;p it was big deal!!

How time flies when you are having fun Chez.:halo:

Megagirl Jenny

You're obviously keen to observe Anzac Day so I suggest you get involved with the ship's preparation. They'll ask for interested people to come forward a day or two beforehand. Please do. It's such an important day to Australians and New Zealanders. We had ours on the Sun Princess railroaded by Pommies and you can guess how badly that turned out.

Megagirl Jenny

You're obviously keen to observe Anzac Day so I suggest you get involved with the ship's preparation. They'll ask for interested people to come forward a day or two beforehand. Please do. It's such an important day to Australians and New Zealanders. We had ours on the Sun Princess railroaded by Pommies and you can guess how badly that turned out.

Good advice, I cannot understand why the pommies would be involved. ANZAC is Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, nothing to do with the English apart from them organising the slaughter.

Good advice, I cannot understand why the pommies would be involved. ANZAC is Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, nothing to do with the English apart from them organising the slaughter.

I hope every Aussie and Kiwi reading this realises the importance of stepping up. I've been responsible for organising many Anzac Services at home but didn't think my input would be necessary onboard a cruise ship. Please, even if you think you have nothing to offfer, go along to the meetings to make sure our ANZAC sacrifice is honoured appropriately.

We were on the Constellation two years off Greece for ANZAC Day. As a returned serviceman from NZ I took it upon myself to organise the Dawn Service and received great cooperation from Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Activities Manager. All the staff went out of their way to make the day great for us. There were only about 50 ANZACs onboard but we had a great turnout from other nationalities and a great sprinkling of senior ships officers. My local RSA provided me with poppies for all attendees and it was great to see them worn during the day. We were in Santorini the day before ANZAC Day and we were discussing the morning service with the Hotel Director and CD at the pier head and we mentioned the gunfire breakfast after the service. We could see both having kittens until we explained what a gunfire breakfast was. It was especially pleasing that rum for the coffee was even supplied at no charge to those without a drinks package. Thanks Nina and Maarten you made our day even more special

We were on the Constellation two years off Greece for ANZAC Day. As a returned serviceman from NZ I took it upon myself to organise the Dawn Service and received great cooperation from Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Activities Manager. All the staff went out of their way to make the day great for us. There were only about 50 ANZACs onboard but we had a great turnout from other nationalities and a great sprinkling of senior ships officers. My local RSA provided me with poppies for all attendees and it was great to see them worn during the day. We were in Santorini the day before ANZAC Day and we were discussing the morning service with the Hotel Director and CD at the pier head and we mentioned the gunfire breakfast after the service. We could see both having kittens until we explained what a gunfire breakfast was. It was especially pleasing that rum for the coffee was even supplied at no charge to those without a drinks package. Thanks Nina and Maarten you made our day even more special
Great work.

Yes, Chez, that was it, and we had lunch at circular quay. Fond memories!! We've only cruised together once and that was on Dawn Princess 2 nighter to Melbourne and we stashed our luggage at your hotel room for the day.:D:D

We were on the Constellation two years off Greece for ANZAC Day. As a returned serviceman from NZ I took it upon myself to organise the Dawn Service and received great cooperation from Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Activities Manager. All the staff went out of their way to make the day great for us. There were only about 50 ANZACs onboard but we had a great turnout from other nationalities and a great sprinkling of senior ships officers. My local RSA provided me with poppies for all attendees and it was great to see them worn during the day.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am sailing on Pacific Explorer next week and we will be a day out from Sydney on ANZAC day. I will inquire at my RSL sub-branch for any advice and assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Pacific Jewel last Anzac Day and everything was organised by the crew and there were readings by passengers.

It was a very special and emotional experience that I will cherish.

️[emoji568]️[emoji925]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A cruise downunder on ANZAC Day is more likely to have a Commemoration than one in other parts of the world. We were off Greece in 2016, had a Belgium CD, American Activities Manager and a Norwegian Hotel Director and about 100 Kiwis and Aussies on board so ANZAC Day took a little more organising. But we did it and hopefully those staff members who by the way knew nothing of ANZAC Day will remember for this year