Incident on Pacific Dawn

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/woman-overboard-from-pacific-dawn-liner/news-story/54a4109235d78dbaeeb2f2d98327ebd1

Reportedly a female went overboard at 4pm today, somewhere near New Caledonia. Search is in progress.

Really hoping for a good outcome, though concerning that it's been a few hours now

the water is warm to survive if you can stay afloat,and have the will.i read a book a man wrote how he fell overboard in Indonesia,and somehow stayed afloat for 2 nights,in rough seas.

just imagine being overboard,and watching the ship rapidly go out of sight

,at 20 knots,and being at ocean level,it would quickly leave you very alone in the deep blue sea.

I would suspect that most anyone falling off a cruise ship would, unless they were experienced divers, be easily concussed due to the height of the fall so therefore the chances of surviving would be very slim.

Interesting (the emphasis is mine)

Passengers told News Corp the woman had gone outside to vomit and was thrown overboard when a wave hit the ship, with one saying her husband saw the whole thing. P&O said there was nothing to support that version of events.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/search-called-off-for-woman-overboard-from-pacific-dawn-cruise-ship/ar-AAvNzA0?ocid=ientp

Interesting (the emphasis is mine)

Passengers told News Corp the woman had gone outside to vomit and was thrown overboard when a wave hit the ship, with one saying her husband saw the whole thing. P&O said there was nothing to support that version of events

I have heard this as well from a P&O source - there is more to this than they can obviously disclose at present

I have been on P&O Arcadia in the Bay of Biscay in 12 metre seas and gale force 11 ( gusting into Hurricane Force 12 ) winds . Who knows what would have happened if anybody was outside on the promenade or upper decks in that - but we were not because all of the doors were locked and it was extremely difficult to even move around the inside of the ship.

For some reason unknown to me , the media seems to just love beating on cruising and cruiseships - everytime somebody gets norovirus, somebody "falls" overboard or somebody has a whinge of some kind!!! The media's unwritten motto - is "NO NEWS - IS BAD NEWS" - so I guess some news is better than no news???

Very conflicting news stories.

AS the Pacific Dawn makes a sombre voyage back towards Brisbane, a passenger says the ship was not listing at the time a woman fell overboard on Thursday afternoon.

Ms An told AAP suggestions the woman was knocked overboard by a wave were incorrect — although she was unsure how the incident occurred about 4pm on Thursday near New Caledonia.

Queensland Police have confirmed the victim is a 47-year-old Brisbane woman

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/woman-overboard-from-pacific-dawn-liner/news-story/54a4109235d78dbaeeb2f2d98327ebd1

This one says top deck, fall of 40m :( no way could a wave wash her off from there.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/04/12/19/15/woman-overboard-from-pacific-dawn-liner

My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

Edited by CupcakeSusie
typo

For some reason unknown to me , the media seems to just love beating on cruising and cruiseships - everytime somebody gets norovirus, somebody "falls" overboard or somebody has a whinge of some kind!!! The media's unwritten motto - is "NO NEWS - IS BAD NEWS" - so I guess some news is better than no news???

Not just cruiseships; it's just a big vehicle, that gets interest.

If a bunch of people on a train got sick, it would be similarly reported. And obviously the same thing happens if anything happens on a plane.

There are only three ways you can fall of a cruise ship.

1.) suicide

2.) murder

3.) deliberate/negligent/skylarking behaviour.

Just heard on the radio that P&O has disputed the version of events and that police will begin an investigation when the ship docks in Brisbane. Police are to meet the ship. The coroner has ordered the police investigation and they will not speculate further at this stage.

Went over the side at 4:00 pm now dark in the area. Sorry she is no longer alive. "A spokesperson for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said that the ship faced three-to-four-meter swells and high winds (55 kph winds)."

High winds big seas overnight lost at sea with nothing means bad news. Report about it:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/04/articles/disappearances-1/passenger-reported-overboard-from-pos-pacific-dawn/index.html

Hello from the Pacific Dawn

I have only just got satellite internet access…, to be able to post this message…

On Thursday 12th April 2018 at Approx 5pm Noumea time (a hour ahead of Brisbane).

I heard a couple of passengers from deck 14 ( I was on deck 12 next to the Edge desk at the time) calling out “Man overboard” “Man overboard” and a couple of other passengers also called out the same thing….

I and quite a few other passengers walked/ran up to deck 14 to see if they could see anything….

I saw two life boys in the water and a few minutes later the officer of the watch came on and said “Man Overboard” “Man Overboard”.

After that the Pacific Dawn turned around and started heading back to where the “Man Overboard” happened to search for the passenger who has gone missing….

Pacific Dawn spent from 5pm 12th April 2018 till 8am 13th April 2018, searching for the passenger who fell overboard.

Pacific Dawn will be docking late in to Brisbane; we now won’t be docking till 6am Sunday 15th April 2018.

For the respect of the family and friends of the missing passenger, I won’t be posting anymore then this….. And I won’t post any more on this event, unless there is a press release on this event.