LIVE!!!!! From the REFLECTION TRANSATLANTIC - CHICAGOPAUL -

chicagopaul

Hello Everyone! It has been a few months since I've been on here but it is that time again for me to start another live blog and I am thrilled to be doing so.

Today is Thursday April 12th and Edward and I will be flying out this evening to FLL in order to join the Reflection tomorrow morning for her Atlantic crossing.

This will be our 3rd transatlantic cruise and 2nd one going eastbound. In total this makes our 14th....I think 14th...Celebrity Cruise. For what it is worth, we are Elite Plus on Celebrity. For those of you who do not know us, we are in our 30s which would make us on the "younger" end of the age spectrum with regard to transatlantic cruises. We're from Chicago so even though it might be a little cool towards the end of the cruise in Europe it will definitely be better than the weather we're currently having here.

If you followed my last cruise blog in December you would know that we stayed in a Royal Suite. Unfortunately that was not in the cards for us this time and we're staying in a regular verandah cabin :eek:

Add Ons Purchased

Premium Drink Package for both of us

9 Night Specialty Dining Package

Once on board we will purchased the unlimited internet for both of us

We have not eaten in the MDR in quite some time, but we definitely will this cruise and we will be sure to report back and give you our unbiased opinions. We also haven't stayed in a standard balcony cabin in a couple years so it will be interesting to see if we notice any changes.

As usual my goal is to post 10 photos each day along with the daily program as well. I'll also be posting photos and video more instantly to my Instagram account, so if you have Instagram you can follow me. My name on there is PaulKBlackburn if you see a guy in a suit as a main photo and then a bunch of photos of liquor and food you've found the right profile!

I want to encourage all of you to ask as many questions as possible! What I have really enjoyed about writing these live blogs is it forces me to sit down and recount my previous day. I find that in doing so I appreciate my vacation more and find that I "slow down" just a little bit to take a look around and realize how lucky we are to be on such an amazing holiday. So please ask away! If you want to know what type of merlot they have by the glass, just ask. If you want to know who is working at a certain venue just ask.

If you're reading this and you are going to be on the cruise PLEASE STOP BY AND SAY HELLO! We love talking to everyone and I really enjoy gaining everyone's insights into cruising and of course life in general.

Below is a quick little youtube video of me explaining what I wrote above and a good way for you to put a face and voice to this live blog. Thank you to everyone who follows along!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Paul and Edward:

You have Got to stop following us! This has got to be the 5th cruise you have followed....No stalking! :):):hearteyes:Hahaha. Glad to see you are once again onboard.....I am hopeful for better weather though with what this year brought.....we are ready for a wild ride.

Cheers! ERF

Thank you everyone for the well wishes! So do you think we over pack much? ebda7c24015586526cd8f5bfd7b763e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we packed that much for a 7 day cruise. I might need to join overpackers anonymous...

Sent from while daydreaming I am in Luminae

We have done a bunch of cruises and have not done a transatlantic yet, but are thinking of booking on on-board our next cruise in May. I'm looking forward to reading your blog and reading the questions/answers. So I'm going to start things off with this question for you:

Since you have done transatlantic cruises in both directions, what is your pro/con list for east vs. west? I know benefit of going west-bound to get the extra hour each day, but I wonder if the weather/seas would be worse for west-bound cruises because they tend to be in the fall? What is your experience with each, and what made you decide to take an east-bound this time? Itinerary?

Sue

Ahhhh just what I need to take my mind off taxes, another fabulous chicagopaul live review:D I hope you guys have a wonderful crossing. We’ll board Reflection again later this year, so I’m following your review with great interest.

We have done a bunch of cruises and have not done a transatlantic yet, but are thinking of booking on on-board our next cruise in May. I'm looking forward to reading your blog and reading the questions/answers. So I'm going to start things off with this question for you:

Since you have done transatlantic cruises in both directions, what is your pro/con list for east vs. west? I know benefit of going west-bound to get the extra hour each day, but I wonder if the weather/seas would be worse for west-bound cruises because they tend to be in the fall? What is your experience with each, and what made you decide to take an east-bound this time? Itinerary?

Sue

Great question Sue. So for us both of our past two TAs were very calm. No weather issues at all. I suppose doing a westbound could technically run into some hurricane weather at the end of hurricane season. For us the biggest advantage of the westbound was the extra hour and the shorter flight home after cruise when we were tired. We ended up booking this one mainly because we wanted a longer cruise at this time of year and we wanted a lot of sea days. For us we will enjoy some warm days to start and then can enjoy some slightly cooler weather as we get closer to Europe.

We have heard that the winds have been stronger this year so it will be interesting to see if we feel a difference.

Ahhhh just what I need to take my mind off taxes, another fabulous chicagopaul live review:D I hope you guys have a wonderful crossing. We’ll board Reflection again later this year, so I’m following your review with great interest.

Haha, thank you! Just filed mine the other day and it will be much easier seeing such a large withdraw out of my account if I’m sitting at a bar on a ship as opposed to sitting at the office.

We were on Reflection TA eastbound 2 years ago. They had a 30% off sale on the Classic drink package not too many days after leaving would you advise if that shows up on the Daily?

Thank you, we will be on the Sihouette leaving Sunday and wondering if they will be doing similar.

We will be glad to meet you on board! [emoji1303]

We will be hanging at Martini bar at night... one of our favorite spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is ours too. You’ll see us there!

So Edward was working today and if you know Edward he believes I never work, so it was my job to lug the luggage (pun intended) down to the lobby and into the Uber. We had get an SUV for all the luggage. We had a very nice driver and Escalade who had no problem doing a little shoulder riding around traffic. We arrived at the airport in great time. We’re flying Southwest so we self tagged our bags and dropped them in under a few minutes. TSA pre check took us only about 7 minutes which is very quick at Midway for a Thursday afternoon.

We’re sitting at the bar now with our first drink. Boarding is just over an hour away and our flight is on time. So far so good!

7b48ee2fc6a470c39fd448408860ff12.jpg

I get in the Uber and then get a text from my neighbor. Apparently he spied me leaving.

a44637fc206e0f89b342d0381544fd7c.jpg

Hello Everyone! It has been a few months since I've been on here but it is that time again for me to start another live blog and I am thrilled to be doing so.

Today is Thursday April 12th and Edward and I will be flying out this evening to FLL in order to join the Reflection tomorrow morning for her Atlantic crossing.

This will be our 3rd transatlantic cruise and 2nd one going eastbound. In total this makes our 14th....I think 14th...Celebrity Cruise. For what it is worth, we are Elite Plus on Celebrity. For those of you who do not know us, we are in our 30s which would make us on the "younger" end of the age spectrum with regard to transatlantic cruises. We're from Chicago so even though it might be a little cool towards the end of the cruise in Europe it will definitely be better than the weather we're currently having here.

If you followed my last cruise blog in December you would know that we stayed in a Royal Suite. Unfortunately that was not in the cards for us this time and we're staying in a regular verandah cabin :eek:

Add Ons Purchased

Premium Drink Package for both of us

9 Night Specialty Dining Package

Once on board we will purchased the unlimited internet for both of us

We have not eaten in the MDR in quite some time, but we definitely will this cruise and we will be sure to report back and give you our unbiased opinions. We also haven't stayed in a standard balcony cabin in a couple years so it will be interesting to see if we notice any changes.

As usual my goal is to post 10 photos each day along with the daily program as well. I'll also be posting photos and video more instantly to my Instagram account, so if you have Instagram you can follow me. My name on there is PaulKBlackburn if you see a guy in a suit as a main photo and then a bunch of photos of liquor and food you've found the right profile!

I want to encourage all of you to ask as many questions as possible! What I have really enjoyed about writing these live blogs is it forces me to sit down and recount my previous day. I find that in doing so I appreciate my vacation more and find that I "slow down" just a little bit to take a look around and realize how lucky we are to be on such an amazing holiday. So please ask away! If you want to know what type of merlot they have by the glass, just ask. If you want to know who is working at a certain venue just ask.

If you're reading this and you are going to be on the cruise PLEASE STOP BY AND SAY HELLO! We love talking to everyone and I really enjoy gaining everyone's insights into cruising and of course life in general.

Below is a quick little youtube video of me explaining what I wrote above and a good way for you to put a face and voice to this live blog. Thank you to everyone who follows along!

On the Reflection now — last day of the cruise :( There are about 50 people sailing back to back for the transatlantic. The crew seem to be excited for the crossing. Have fun!

Enjoying your blog once again! We did the TA from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale last October and had a wonderful time! Loved the Sunset Bar and of course all the others as well. We had a Concierge Stateroom and it served us fine. Weather was great and seas were calm. Can't wait to see your photos!