Sydney or Melbourne embarkations

Considering 2019 NZ cruises from Sydney and Melbourne. Last year’s Sydney embarkation was extremely taxing...very hot and very disorganized and I prefer to not experience that again. Anyone have an opinion as to which port is more organized (cruising Princess Feb 2019)? Thanks!

I always sail from Sydney and have never had any real issues even when the OPT was in total disarray due to the renovations.

On the other hand the kids sail from Melbourne and say it is horrendous.

So it may just be the luck of the draw.

I mostly sail from Sydney but have done a couple from Melbourne , can’t say either troubled me at all. I’d go with whichever is the most convenient to you. It’s only a small part of the whole cruise, as once onboard it’s time to relax [emoji18]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my experience, Sydney has better facilities and has been much better organised than my one time in Melbourne. Melbourne is much more likely to be cooler at any time of the year though. I would pick the cruise for the itinerary and if you want to avoid the crowds, board after 1.30pm (if possible).

Sydney is far more beautiful and interesting. The Harbour is one of the great sights of the world. Even if embarkation is slow, you shouldn’t let a little delay prevent you from enjoying one of the most spectacular things you ever will see. Surely that is part of the holiday.

On the scale of different reasons to choose a cruise, port terminal facilities are way down the list.

One other thing is Sydney has two primary cruise ports, which Princess operate out of both and there are differences between the two which make it not a simple comparison. As it hasn't been pointed out which Sydney terminal is being compared, it's not possible to be definitive.

On the scale of different reasons to choose a cruise, port terminal facilities are way down the list.

One other thing is Sydney has two primary cruise ports, which Princess operate out of both and there are differences between the two which make it not a simple comparison. As it hasn't been pointed out which Sydney terminal is being compared, it's not possible to be definitive.

Or which ship and or cruise.

Some ships have two or three times the number of passengers trying to embark.

Some cruise embarkations are delayed by a few hours due to having to do a deep clean after a NORO virus outbreak. This causes a backlog of people and can make it so much busier for embarkation.

Had no problems with Melbourne; Got there at 2:00, most people where already on board; the only bad thing was i had my 1.25Lt bottle of soft drink taken. Got this when i departed Newcastle at 6:00, drove to Sydney & flew down to melbourne, But was taken at boarding only 1/3 full.. Lol

Sydney no problems. In 14 cruises...

Had no problems with Melbourne; Got there at 2:00, most people where already on board; the only bad thing was i had my 1.25Lt bottle of soft drink taken. Got this when i departed Newcastle at 6:00, drove to Sydney & flew down to melbourne, But was taken at boarding only 1/3 full.. Lol

Sydney no problems. In 14 cruises...

Bringing fluids on can be an issue as some people are trying to smuggle revenue lessening substances onto the ship..

Mic; I still don't understand Carnival letting 12 (up to 600ml) of soft drink per passenger on board... Plus if you can restock in Noumea if you want. I never been pulled up restocking.. LOL. I must be a cheap stake; they sell it for$2,75 per can with ice on board. Most other cruise lines charge about $4.00.. I do like seeing the bottles of wine tring to get on-board with themm. Lol

Mic; I still don't understand Carnival letting 12 (up to 600ml) of soft drink per passenger on board... Plus if you can restock in Noumea if you want. I never been pulled up restocking.. LOL. I must be a cheap stake; they sell it for$2,75 per can with ice on board. Most other cruise lines charge about $4.00.. I do like seeing the bottles of wine tring to get on-board with themm. Lol
I was more having a go at some lines who won't even allow one bottle of water on. It is hardly going to cut into their profit margin. The main reason they claim is security but we all know it is to stop people smuggling alcohol on for themselves in the guise of water or softdrink.