Ship/Cruise review.... really?

I just read a review from someone who recently cruised on the Pacific Jewel - the review said 'March, South Pacific'. Now as the Pacific Jewel did not go to the Pacific Islands in March I can only assume the cruise was either from Australia to NZ or the cruise around New Zealand. I will presume it was after the refurbishment but could have been the last cruise prior to this.

What made me laugh was the comment that "The route this specific cruise took was just stupid and unfair giving only the left side of the ship all day sun". Assuming they mean the cruise from Sydney to Auckland then yes, the starboard side would have been away from all day sun for most of the cruise but to say the route was stupid? How on earth else did the think the ship would sail this destination? Going in circles to allow everyone a fair go at the sunshine? They asked to be on the sunset side of the ship so I'm thinking that would be starboard? Otherwise they should have requested the sunny side.

These people were first cruisers and clearly hated everything about their time on board - good luck to them when they sail another line. I myself have always managed to love every cruise I have done - perhaps it's an attitude thing? Other reviews of the same cruise are very favourable so I suppose it's just a case of you can't please everyone.

ps. If this was your cruise review I'd love to know how else you feel the ship should have sailed to give everyone sun?

I just read a review from someone who recently cruised on the Pacific Jewel - the review said 'March, South Pacific'. Now as the Pacific Jewel did not go to the Pacific Islands in March I can only assume the cruise was either from Australia to NZ or the cruise around New Zealand. I will presume it was after the refurbishment but could have been the last cruise prior to this.

What made me laugh was the comment that "The route this specific cruise took was just stupid and unfair giving only the left side of the ship all day sun". Assuming they mean the cruise from Sydney to Auckland then yes, the starboard side would have been away from all day sun for most of the cruise but to say the route was stupid? How on earth else did the think the ship would sail this destination? Going in circles to allow everyone a fair go at the sunshine? They asked to be on the sunset side of the ship so I'm thinking that would be starboard? Otherwise they should have requested the sunny side.

These people were first cruisers and clearly hated everything about their time on board - good luck to them when they sail another line. I myself have always managed to love every cruise I have done - perhaps it's an attitude thing? Other reviews of the same cruise are very favourable so I suppose it's just a case of you can't please everyone.

ps. If this was your cruise review I'd love to know how else you feel the ship should have sailed to give everyone sun?

Maybe the Captain could have put the ship in reverse every second day so that both sides received equal amounts of sun.

Maybe the Captain could have put the ship in reverse every second day so that both sides received equal amounts of sun.

LOL... now why didn't I think of that!! I mean how rude to go one direction and not give equal sun?

Sounds like it could have been the 3 day relocation cruise from Sydney to Auckland for the NZ season.

Yes, I said it probably was that route due to the sun being on one side of the ship. The questions is how else could the ship have sailed? They said it was a stupid route!! I suppose as you get more experienced at cruising you learn to pick the side of the ship that suits that particular journey.

I’ve read reviews of cruises I’ve been on and you’d swear they were on another ship. I found it hard to fathom how someone could have such a poor experience when I couldn’t fault a thing.

Reading the review I actually worked out it was a passenger I came across whilst onboard. In the 15 minutes I had the displeasure of their company all they did was whine about the most petty things. There are just some people out there that live to find fault in everything no matter how petty or small.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve read reviews of cruises I’ve been on and you’d swear they were on another ship. I found it hard to fathom how someone could have such a poor experience when I couldn’t fault a thing.

Reading the review I actually worked out it was a passenger I came across whilst onboard. In the 15 minutes I had the displeasure of their company all they did was whine about the most petty things. There are just some people out there that live to find fault in everything no matter how petty or small.

Yep many times.

Was that my cruise?

When we did our Circumnavigation of Aus,I kept track of some of he implaints I heard.

The weather (too hot, too cold, rainy etc)

The ports (why didn’t that have this shop, or why was that shop closed)

The seas (too rough, stupid captain should have turned the waves off perhaps)

The itinerary (mustn’t bother reading it before they book)

Were all frequent complaints

Yep many times.

Was that my cruise?

Was a Voyager of the Seas cruise a couple of years ago.

While I was sitting with them the ordered drinks from one of the table waiters that I had got to know over the past few days, they spoke to him like he was beneath them. When he walked away they commented that he probably wouldn’t make it right...

I hadn’t asked for another drink so when he return with their drinks and 1 for me and said Andrew I noticed yours was nearly empty, the look of disbelief from the couple was quite amusing. When the waiter left they asked why I got such good service. I said I’m nice to them and got up and left.

This was Pacific Jewel and they were first time cruisers so not the cruise you were on?

Was a Voyager of the Seas cruise a couple of years ago.

While I was sitting with them the ordered drinks from one of the table waiters that I had got to know over the past few days, they spoke to him like he was beneath them. When he walked away they commented that he probably wouldn’t make it right...

I hadn’t asked for another drink so when he return with their drinks and 1 for me and said Andrew I noticed yours was nearly empty, the look of disbelief from the couple was quite amusing. When the waiter left they asked why I got such good service. I said I’m nice to them and got up and left.

When people talk of the great service they get by huge tips, or tipping at the start, I can honestly say I get equal service just by being nice. I certainly don’t pre tip, I have the soft drink package so there isn’t much coming, but I talk to them I tell them no rush if they’re flat out, I even share a joke with them if they’re quiet.

Usually by about day two, my Diet Coke is waiting before I’m too the bar.

When people talk of the great service they get by huge tips, or tipping at the start, I can honestly say I get equal service just by being nice. I certainly don’t pre tip, I have the soft drink package so there isn’t much coming, but I talk to them I tell them no rush if they’re flat out, I even share a joke with them if they’re quiet.

Usually by about day two, my Diet Coke is waiting before I’m too the bar.

Respect is a two way street, and while some say it must be earned, I find that if you give it to everyone until they lose it, you get much better relationships. That automatically means better service.

Now if the cruise lines can just figure out how to have sunshine on both sides of the ship :)

I too read reviews and think OMG, it will be terrible, but when I board I just love it all!! We were just on Ovation of the Seas and loved it - others on the same cruise hated it. I just think some people are not suited to cruising. I can't wait for my next time on a ship (8 weeks and counting...)

Yeah, I'm sure most readers can see that the comments are completely unrealistic. Negative ratings like that do have an effect though, for the many who don't bother reading and just do the easy comparison of numbers.

People do like to complain! Before our last cruise on Golden Princess, I read reviews which were very negative. Just as well I don't take notice of them as we had a great cruise. It's the same when cruisers complain about the chaos they experience at the OPT and even at Melbourne, We've never had a problem - we may have had to wait a while at the OPT but the lines moved fairly quickly. Our embarkation and dis-embarkation at Melbourne were very quick and efficient.

Just go with the flow and enjoy your cruise.

Leigh

Now if the cruise lines can just figure out how to have sunshine on both sides of the ship :)

I too read reviews and think OMG, it will be terrible, but when I board I just love it all!! We were just on Ovation of the Seas and loved it - others on the same cruise hated it. I just think some people are not suited to cruising. I can't wait for my next time on a ship (8 weeks and counting...)

If the ship was heading east from Sydney, then would the sun go over it from now to stern? So the sun wouldn’t favour either side would it?

To be fair the reviewer also complained about the food and service. It wasn’t all about the lack of sun.

Maybe their expectations were too high. They are maybe suited to luxury cruising, but not mass market cruising.

Edited by Toryhere
typo

If the ship was heading east from Sydney, then would the sun go over it from now to stern? So the sun wouldn’t favour either side would it?

The sun would shine more on the Port side of the ship because it is not directly overhead, but to the north. At the summer solstice (22nd December) it is overhead at local noon at the Tropic of Capricorn (latitude of Rockhampton and Noumea) and in winter, much further north.

The sun would shine more on the Port side of the ship because it is not directly overhead, but to the north. At the summer solstice (22nd December) it is overhead at local noon at the Tropic of Capricorn (latitude of Rockhampton and Noumea) and in winter, much further north.

Thanks for that

To be fair the reviewer also complained about the food and service. It wasn’t all about the lack of sun.

Maybe their expectations were too high. They are maybe suited to luxury cruising, but not mass market cruising.

I needed more than a grain of salt for that review, but then you often do. Many things are very subjective and you really need to read about what isn't listed as bad as well as what is complained about. i.e if they complain about nearly everything but not about the décor or the coffee, then you can take it that they must have been good.:D