"Press Reader" complimentary newspaper downloads on Seabourn ships

Donaldm

I found this buried in some of the Seabourn documents I received:

"Before you leave home, download our complimentary PressReader app from pressreader.com

to access a selection of popular newspapers delivered right to your mobile smartphone or

tablet daily."

Can we really read any of their daily newspapers without costs? Are there any restrictions?

In the past, there had been an app you could download which allowed you to read certain major newspapers on your personal device without using up your internet minutes. However, we needed assistance from Seabourn Square to download the app, as it was not intrinsically easy to install. Also, as I recall, on my more recent cruise or cruises, it was being upgraded or changed and was not available.

Once, last year, the press reader (the actual device or the mobile phone app) wasn't working on board. Also, not all major newspapers were available - New York Times, which I really wanted, was not.

Normally, full copies of newspapers are available in SB Square to borrow, except when their printer is out of service.

In the "good old days" I recall cruise ships having a 4 page newspaper filled with 2 to 3 days old news. I will be delighted with any improvement over that.

That is usually available, in various versions, e.g. French, Spanish, Australian, US, International, etc., at SB Square as well as by delivery to your suite daily, as per your request.

This is good news. I would encourage people to download the PressReader app (before the cruise, since downloading apps can be too much while using the ship's internet) if you like to read a newspaper in the morning. We enjoyed PR while on a Crystal cruise this past fall and were disappointed when we were on a RSSC cruise in February and found it was not something they supported. So thrilled to know that we will have PR on our Seabourn cruise in May. We read NYT and Washington Post on our ipads and phones on a daily basis (not just on cruises), but sometimes when the internet is down on the ship, it is nice to find out what is going on via a good newspaper. On the Crystal cruise, we could get the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune and several others (and not the NYT as said above). Also, the PR was used on Crystal to provide an electronic copy of the daily activities (in addition to the paper one) and also to have the restaurant menus available. Does Seabourn use it this way as well?

In addition to PressReader Diamond and Diamond Elite members can have a full sized newspaper printed each day. My DH, is very old school (we pay a fortune for home delivery of The NY Times in Arizona) and was delighted to have this option.

As to your question re: online access to menus etc. there is an app you can download called the Source and once on board it will have daily info on menus, your onboard account, tours, etc. that pertain to your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As to your question re: online access to menus etc. there is an app you can download called the Source and once on board it will have daily info on menus, your onboard account, tours, etc. that pertain to your cruise.

That's new, hadn't read about that before. However I can't find the app on the iOS app store anywhere, anyone know where to find it? Since iOS doesn't allow sideloading apps, it has to be on the store to be installable (unless it's really just an internal web page)

In addition to PressReader Diamond and Diamond Elite members can have a full sized newspaper printed each day. My DH, is very old school (we pay a fortune for home delivery of The NY Times in Arizona) and was delighted to have this option.

I, too, have this option but can't bring myself to wasting the paper and ink, when my news info needs can sufficiently be met via the press reader, the communal full papers in SB Square, the abridged printed news feed, and free internet.

That's new, hadn't read about that before. However I can't find the app on the iOS app store anywhere, anyone know where to find it? Since iOS doesn't allow sideloading apps, it has to be on the store to be installable (unless it's really just an internal web page)

Search on “PressReader”, it's there.

Search on “PressReader”, it's there.

Wasn't talking about Pressreader, was talking about the Seabourn daily-on-board app which gives you menus and happenings mentioned by a previous poster.

However some more research indicates it's a web app so no download required, just hit the page when on board. Looking forward to that, it's inevitable that at some point during a day someone has to go back to the room to pick up the activity list we left behind.

The app works but the selection of newspapers that participate in press reader is limited. Washington post yes. Ny times no

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PressReader doesn’t provide access to any newspapers that operate via a paywall, I.e. NY Times, The Times or the FT.

Just to add to the "printed copy preference" as Diamond members we qualify for the printed "old school" copy which I also like (as does Chairsin's DH - a very smart gentleman) as I can take it anywhere on the ship or off, NY Times. (as a devoted recycler I admit the paper usage is not good and have to take it on the word of SB they really do the proper recycling). If the internet was better I could read it on my tablet while on the ship and only request it printed when going to a port with a beach, but that internet speed topic needed for downloads has been beaten to death elsewhere.

However, in my experience more often than not it cannot be printed as the printers are malfunctioning. I have heard from multiple crew that the issue is the printers are leased on a Carnival corporate contract and the maintenance can only be done by a tech from the leasing corporation. And they rarely arrive with the necessary parts.

Given the ship may be in a remote part of the globe, acquiring parts may mean no printers capable of printing the papers are working until it arrives several weeks later at a "major" city. Ironically only once, and only for one day, on al of my cruises were the printers for the Herald not working, I can only assume they are not part of that Carnival contract and were fixed by the on-board technical folks.

The whole thing is ridiculous IMO, Seabourn should procure their own printers and allow their very competent folks to maintain / repair them and order parts.

Just to add to the "printed copy preference" as Diamond members we qualify for the printed "old school" copy which I also like (as does Chairsin's DH - a very smart gentleman) as I can take it anywhere on the ship or off, NY Times. (as a devoted recycler I admit the paper usage is not good and have to take it on the word of SB they really do the proper recycling). If the internet was better I could read it on my tablet while on the ship and only request it printed when going to a port with a beach, but that internet speed topic needed for downloads has been beaten to death elsewhere.

However, in my experience more often than not it cannot be printed as the printers are malfunctioning. I have heard from multiple crew that the issue is the printers are leased on a Carnival corporate contract and the maintenance can only be done by a tech from the leasing corporation. And they rarely arrive with the necessary parts.

Given the ship may be in a remote part of the globe, acquiring parts may mean no printers capable of printing the papers are working until it arrives several weeks later at a "major" city. Ironically only once, and only for one day, on al of my cruises were the printers for the Herald not working, I can only assume they are not part of that Carnival contract and were fixed by the on-board technical folks.

The whole thing is ridiculous IMO, Seabourn should procure their own printers and allow their very competent folks to maintain / repair them and order parts.

The printer was broken on our Antarctica cruise. That’s about as remote as it gets.