Starriott changes

buggins0402

I was looking at hotels for a long pre cruise stay early next year. It looks like I picked the day that some of the combined program changes were announced. Arghh...was exploring whether to book Starwood or Marriott or transfer to an airline program for a flight, but it looks like all the rules are changing.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/04/16/marriott-rewards-spg-changes-effective-august-2018/

Had focused on some Marriott properties because I would be gold and the breakfast was a freebie. Looks like that's gone with the merger. I haven't even started to dig into category changes...but I guess as long as I decide how long I want to do the land portion and book prior to August, I should be fine...I think.

Does anyone have any good links to what is happening on the Starwood Amex?

Thank you very much for those links. They are very comprehensive and help immensely.

My Starwood Card will move to the front of the wallet for just the next few months and then it will probably be history. The charts have me rethinking hotels that I had focused on just last night and when to book! Gold’s will not have Lounge status at Marriott...which was a nice loophole for Starwood golds in Marriotts.

Under the old Starwood rules, I was gold until February 28 2019. I won’t repeat this year....we’re just leisure travelers. Does anyone know how the Marriott program runs....if you made a certain tier in 2017, does it end December 31 or February 28?

I may just throw in the towel and replace the Starwood card for the Platinum Amex. At least that will get us into Delta clubs in our home airport.

Thanks again, you’ve given me a lot to chew on.

Note that the Plat Amex allows for the card holder to have access to SkyClubs. There is a $29 charge for your first two guests. In addition, the Plat Amex currently gives hotel elite status as well - IIRC, it gave Hilton gold and Starwood gold. What will happen in the future is still up in the air with those programs and the Plat card.

One other benefit of the Amex is membership in Priority Pass, which extends the reach of the SkyClubs. And, of course, it gives you the Centurion Lounge - now in SFO, DFW, LAS, SEA, LGA, IAH, PHL, MIA and HKG. And coming to DEN and eventually to LAX.

IIRC, it gave Hilton gold and Starwood gold.

The latter of which can be matched into Marriott Gold....which will now be Marriott Platinum, which entitles you to United Premier Silver (which admittedly is useless) but it shows how these things unravel :D

I'm a big fan of the Amex Platinum. The $550 easily pays for itself and the $175 for supplementary cardholders is a bargain. Each gets Global Entry credit (we have used this for friends too) plus the hotel elite status benefits. Pretty much everything except the airline fee and Uber credits are open for supplementaries..

One caveat on the Amex Plat -- it is not one of the better cards for putting your spend on. Exceptions may be for airline tickets (5x points) and certain hotel and other travel purchases. And for charges over $5k, you get bonus points. In some ways, the card is acquired for the benefits, not for charging. Unless you really have use for MR points through transfers.

We already have a Sapphire Reserve housed with DH. So there is some redundancy for Priority Pass on the Amex Platinum. The DL lounges would be nice...but come at a $30 fee for second person (although the $200 credit would negate and I could drop my DL Card at the same time with the credit).

Gold benefits have been severely downgraded at Starriot. Don’t have a clue on what they are at HH. Also thinking the Chase Freedom might be a good mix for non bonus spend...if I can transfer credits via also having a preferred in my name. The Chase cards are great...but I live in DL land, which makes the decision making more difficult. I guess I could get off my ass and sign up for Flying Blue and book through that website??? Would that work? DL redemptions are expensive...but, I always find a way to use them.