Singapore to Shanghai

Hey all,

I'm travelling on the Celebrity Constellation 20th January - Singapore to Shanghai. I have friends on the cruise but there could be some time I have alone in Singapore (maybe) and definitely in Shanghai.

Any suggestions of locations to stay in both locations that are safe and also reasonably priced would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a number of recommendations on the Asia Ports of Call board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70 for the Royal Plaza hotel on Scotts Rd in Singapore. This is in the heart of the shopping district and close to the Orchard MRT station. I've done a number of trips to Singapore in the past, tagging along on DH's business trips, and always felt safe wandering around by myself even at night.

I've only been to Shanghai once, again on one of DH's business trips and we stayed in fairly expensive hotels, so probably not what you are looking for. However if you can find a reasonable hotel near the Bund then that would be a good location. I felt comfortable wandering around by myself during the day.

I've seen a number of recommendations on the Asia Ports of Call board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70 for the Royal Plaza hotel on Scotts Rd in Singapore. This is in the heart of the shopping district and close to the Orchard MRT station. I've done a number of trips to Singapore in the past, tagging along on DH's business trips, and always felt safe wandering around by myself even at night.

I've only been to Shanghai once, again on one of DH's business trips and we stayed in fairly expensive hotels, so probably not what you are looking for. However if you can find a reasonable hotel near the Bund then that would be a good location. I felt comfortable wandering around by myself during the day.

Thanks heaps for the link and suggestions.

I will definitely look into all of them [emoji4]

Have a great day and safe cruising ️[emoji925]️[emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed recently in the Ritz Carlton but while it is a beautiful hotel the location is a bit out of the way (great views though). We have stayed on Orchard Road in the past and would stay in that location again. We admired the Marriot on our last trip. I felt very safe wandering around Singapore, often only with my teenage daughter and if we were there longer I might have been comfortable letting her shop by herself in the day time in the Mall that was close to our hotel.

We stayed recently in the Ritz Carlton but while it is a beautiful hotel the location is a bit out of the way (great views though). We have stayed on Orchard Road in the past and would stay in that location again. We admired the Marriot on our last trip. I felt very safe wandering around Singapore, often only with my teenage daughter and if we were there longer I might have been comfortable letting her shop by herself in the day time in the Mall that was close to our hotel.

Thanks heaps I’ll have a look into it ️[emoji925]️[emoji568][emoji1215]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Ritz Carlton connects directly to both the Marina Square and Millenium Walk shopping malls, by an above ground walkway, and both of these connect to MRT stations so it's not really out of the way. I've stayed in this area a number of times and found it very convenient.

Singapore is extremely safe with no dangerous areas. Locals all speak English with a few exceptions.

Shanghai will be very safe but unlikely any locals except in tourist areas will speak English.

Have never stayed in Shanghai but found hotels in Beijing much less expensive than Singapore.

For hotels - just google accommodation Singapore / Shanghai & use one of the booking sites.

I prefer Booking dot com as I find it easy to use & the maps are good.

The secret to a good hotel in Singapore is it's nearness to the MRT which is easy to use & has AC.

A 3/4 star that is over Lavender MRT is V Lavender hotel. Another is Park Hotel Farrer Park beside Farrer Park MRT.

Near City Hall MRT is 4 star Penninsular.

To get away from touristy Orchard Road the 5 star hotels at Marina Bay area are all good but expensive.

Good deals do come up on the booking sites.

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions. I keep on looking and getting confused 🤷*♀️.

Will look at Lavender hotel [emoji1215] ️[emoji568]️[emoji925]

Sent from my iPad using Forums