Preception of Celebrity to a possible new cruiser to the line

airlink diva

Hi everyone!

I've sailed primary on Carnival for my short cruises and Holland America for my longer cruises. I decided to try another cruise line for 2019 and Celebrity is one that I was looking at.

For the past few weeks been on this board reading reviews and other threads and noticed something.

It seems if I travel in an inside or outside cabin, just the basic and non of the classes like "Aqua", just eat in the MDR not to expect much.

Now this is just my perception from reading threads on this page. Still curious about Celebrity but asking those who don't do suites or any of the packages,etc, those who just cruise to enjoy the ports and ships how is it for a solo cruiser who happy with an inside or outside cabin??

All cruises are what you make if them. Expect a comfortable room. Expect a lot of activities to choose from. No smoking anywhere inside or on balconies. No constant stream of announcements on the PA. Other solos to meet on board if you choose. A buffet with a huge variety of options. Good food in the dining room. Friendly staff. Make that very friendly staff. A covered pool area free of screaming children. Expect to have a good time and you will.

It seems if I travel in an inside or outside cabin, just the basic and non of the classes like "Aqua", just eat in the MDR not to expect much.

What else were you expecting? Suite and Aqua guests have their own dining room. And suite guests have their own lounge. That's about the only difference when it comes to your ship board experience compared to theirs. And there are other dining options besides the MDR.

I traveled solo on Celebrity Equinox for the first time in December and had a wonderful time. I met a lot of very nice people, ate great food in the MDR, had a lovely cabin and balcony all to myself.... good entertainment, nicely appointed lounges and common areas... what more can you ask for?

The main thing you're seeing (IMHO) is a bunch of long-time Celebrity cruisers bemoaning how the Celebrity of today doesn't measure up to their (possibly hazy) memories of the (supposed) "golden age" when they began sailing Celebrity. Take the current product on its own, and it's still very good.

I compare this to people who fly coach and don't like the fact that the people in Business/First class get bigger seats, better meals and free booze. In a perfect world we'd all fly First Class but the reality is we have budgets and live within them.

I'm a long time X cruiser (who has also cruised HAL, Princess, RCCL and NCL). I've always just booked a basic verandah or oceanview and have no complaints. I feel X is good value for the money and a step above the other cruiselines I have sailed. Read some of the complaints with a grain of salt... and expect to enjoy X if you choose to sail on her.

how is it for a solo cruiser who happy with an inside or outside cabin??

Since you're about my age, here's my take. Yes, Celebrity is not as elegant or luxurious at it used to be. However, it still is very enjoyable. The food in the MDR ranges from good to poor. It really depends on your taste. For example, there are two nights I can't stand the MDR menu (the night they serve turkey and the night they serve drum fish). Other people (even those in my party of 20 about three weeks ago) enjoyed those nights.

The layout of the ships are excellent (talking about S-class) and most passengers are friendly. You'll be surprised how often you run into the same people on a ship of 3000

If you enjoy beverages (of any kind) see if the rate on an outside (which may include perks such as a beverage package) is just a few dollars more than the inside. It really makes the vacation more relaxing, as you can get a great variety of mixed beverages (and specialty coffees) without an upcharge. And every once in a while, splurge for something extra :)

Go to trivia and other events if you want to meet people. Or read in the library or relax in the solarium if you want a quieter venue. And don't miss the Ensemble lounge in the evenings for relaxing live music!

Having gone on a few Carnival cruises (as well as HAL), I keep coming back to Celebrity. It has the service and decent food like HAL without the stuffiness. It doesn't have the large number of kids like Carnival.

As others have said, the cruise will be what you make of it... but relax and ENJOY!

The main thing you're seeing (IMHO) is a bunch of long-time Celebrity cruisers bemoaning how the Celebrity of today doesn't measure up to their (possibly hazy) memories of the (supposed) "golden age" when they began sailing Celebrity. Take the current product on its own, and it's still very good.

Of course it does not measure up.. just because you did not get to experience the transition from the golden age to the present product is a reflection of your lack of cruising not our hazy memories...

You are really getting good at insulting frequent cruisers. Whatever happened to the hosts like Andy and Anne who never stooped so low as to insult people on these boards..:mad:

Hi everyone!

I've sailed primary on Carnival for my short cruises and Holland America for my longer cruises. <...> It seems if I travel in an inside or outside cabin, just the basic and non of the classes like "Aqua", just eat in the MDR not to expect much.

I don't have personal experience with either Carnival or Holland America, but in addition to Celebrity, we have sailed with Norwegian, Princess and Royal Caribbean. We have been sailing the S-class Celebrity ships and have not tried M-class since 2003. That said...

My personal opinion is that the food in Celebrity's MDR has been almost always very good to excellent, and typically better than the other cruise lines that we've tried. The others have had very good food at times, but not as consistent as is our experience on Celebrity. I've also found the Celebrity dining menu to be more interesting, similar to French cuisine. The food is one of the reasons we keep going back to Celebrity, and we rarely eat in the specialty restaurants.

I haven't personally tried an inside/outside cabin. We book regular veranda rooms on s-class which have also been more spacious than the regular balcony rooms on the other lines we'd tried, and the bathrooms are the nicest. My daughter stayed in an inside cabin across the hall from us once: I recall that the cabin was just slightly smaller, with a chair instead of a couch, but the bathroom was just as nice.

I think you will also find a lot of nice public areas to hang out in during the day. We also like that the Celebrity ships have rarely felt crowded.

Sue

Celebrity is our line of choice after sailing with many other lines. It has most of what we enjoy cruising for. You may feel differently after your first cruise with them, but you won't know until you try. Re 'those experiencing change over time'....when we all first cruise it's exciting, new, fun for the most part (as is everything else in life when experienced when you're young or for the first time). After many cruises the expectation may be higher; I think we become inured by the 'I know what comes next' syndrome'. IMHO there's nothing to dislike about cruising with Celebrity, especially on the S class ships, whether inside, verandah, or cabin category of your choice. As another poster said, "it's what you make it". Starting out with poor expectations might not work for your vacation attitude...or...you'll be so surprised by how much you're enjoying your time onboard that you'll book with X again. Hope this helps.

Edited by oceangoer2

These boards (not just Celebrity) are awash with balcony and suite snobs who (I hope) unintentionally make you feel of a lower class or lacking in judgment if you sail in an inside or OV. I've sailed solo on Celebrity in inside to Concierge class, and with my sister we did a cruise in Aqua. We are died in the wool traditional dining so much prefer the MDR at a large table. Because of that, we won't do aqua again, nor a suite, even if we could afford it. EM

These boards (not just Celebrity) are awash with balcony and suite snobs who (I hope) unintentionally make you feel of a lower class or lacking in judgment if you sail in an inside or OV. I've sailed solo on Celebrity in inside to Concierge class, and with my sister we did a cruise in Aqua. We are died in the wool traditional dining so much prefer the MDR at a large table. Because of that, we won't do aqua again, nor a suite, even if we could afford it. EM

I never sailed in suites years ago, but being older with a travel account has allowed my DH and I to enjoy some of the suite life. I have never been called a snob and have always been taught to share. It is all about opportunity cost. One has the opportunity to choose what money is spent on and what it is not used for...thus, the opportunity to choose. I will agree however, that suite prices have gone through the roof and that I may return to my roots with Celebrity, but time will tell. You are either a snob or you are not a sob...I have worked hard all my life and am still working part time to not deplete my savings for those rainy days that may come...I enjoy a larger cabin and great view that I share all the time with others. Why would you share such a generalized post accusing so many of us unfairly? I hope you can understand my comment and appreciate the fact that life is all about resilience, temper and loving oneself enough to enjoy the little things and help your friends! We all endure things that are difficult, but how we handle those things is what makes us who we are,..you are certainly no different than the rest of us...money does not make you happy unless you share! You certainly can't take it with you, although I would venture to guess that some will try! So, when you have the chance, I hope you dance in the cabin you choose!

Edited by Lastdance

All cruises are what you make if them. Expect a comfortable room. Expect a lot of activities to choose from. No smoking anywhere inside or on balconies. No constant stream of announcements on the PA. Other solos to meet on board if you choose. A buffet with a huge variety of options. Good food in the dining room. Friendly staff. Make that very friendly staff. A covered pool area free of screaming children. Expect to have a good time and you will.

2nd this. Can’t describe it any better.

When we started sailing we were exclusive to Carnival and Princess loved all of those cruises and had fabulous times. Got to the highest loyalty level in both.

Tried Celebrity and the rest is history. We were really impressed when we walked on the ship and were given that complimentary glass of bubbly and then when we walked into the atrium we went WOW and have mainly sailed X since. It was actually a lot of other things and I think you know and decide after you sail with them.

We have now sailed over 20 cruises with Celebrity.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Read this thread. It is a 22 yer old solo cruiser sailing now

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2624169

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

After reading a few of the lastest posts it seems as if he has different expectations, outlook, and attitude than what other younger solo cruisers have told me.

We are all different and that is what makes the world, and life interesting.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Of course it does not measure up.. just because you did not get to experience the transition from the golden age to the present product is a reflection of your lack of cruising not our hazy memories...

You are really getting good at insulting frequent cruisers. Whatever happened to the hosts like Andy and Anne who never stooped so low as to insult people on these boards..:mad:

Have you read this thread? The constant carping is turning off new customers! Is that what you want–for Celebrity to go broke? Just because it doesn't measure up to the old days doesn't mean new customers like OP won't have a good time moving over from another mainstream cruise line [which also isn't as good as it was in its 'golden age'].

Excellent summary - the only other thought I had was that the welcome champagne is a nice touch and a bubbly way to start a vacation ;)

My personal opinion is that the food in Celebrity's MDR has been almost always very good to excellent, and typically better than the other cruise lines that we've tried. The others have had very good food at times, but not as consistent as is our experience on Celebrity. I've also found the Celebrity dining menu to be more interesting, similar to French cuisine. The food is one of the reasons we keep going back to Celebrity, and we rarely eat in the specialty restaurants.

I agree - even though food is subjective, I have never had 'poor quality' food on Celebrity.

When we started sailing we were exclusive to Carnival and Princess loved all of those cruises and had fabulous times. Got to the highest loyalty level in both.

Tried Celebrity and the rest is history. We were really impressed when we walked on the ship and were given that complimentary glass of bubbly and then when we walked into the atrium we went WOW and have mainly sailed X since. It was actually a lot of other things and I think you know and decide after you sail with them.

My background is similar. I tried princess, Holland America, and Carnival before finding celebrity. I was hooked on Celebrity after my first experience with them.

Another poster mentioned - the bathrooms are very nice.

If you would be happy in an inside cabin on any of the other Cruise Lines you've already tried, you will certainly be just as happy, if not more, on Celebrity. Even though I have never sailed in a suite category, I have never felt that the class of stateroom affects my experience on Celebrity.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise if you choose celebrity!

This is really an unfair and insulting comment to our very fair-minded host who is well appreciated by many of us.

By the way- I'm still waiting for somebody to define the Golden Age of cruising. When was it actually? As for me, I believe we are in it right now with well designed and safe ships of all sizes loaded with things to do, numerous dining and entertainment choices for every type of passenger, interesting destination itineraries or just laid back itineraries, and overall prices (adjusted for inflation) lower than many years ago.

q - I never took hj's post as an insult, as opposed to a statement of fact as they view it and quite possibly others.

I know that often times many 'long time' guests of X, on this board, frequently write about 'how it was before such and such a change or President or cut backs' etc.

Quite possibly there could be a sticky here titled 'The Way X Was When I Started Sailing Them in 18xx and What It Is Not Today In 2018'... LOL

It is not ones 'lack of cruising' I believe it is ones' acceptance of change and appreciating it as such, good or bad and understanding there are other lines to choose if we do not. Those who experienced the change, their memories are not hazy just the acceptance of change makes them grizzle with resentment instead of moving on, if necessary.

Those of us who did not experience the 'transition', those past experiences are not lost on us as opposed not relevant to us. Can you not accept this point of view? New age of sailing, new demographics in sailing, new experiences on board, and the future of sailing yet to arrive (Edge and beyond).

I will accept that others may go kicking and screaming with the new age of cruising being introduced which is not like it used to be. Some of us do not want it like it use to be, as well.

Sorry if you believe the post was an insult, I did not.

bon voayge

We’re in our 30’s and I too was a little leery of our first X cruise. I will say the impression you get from some people on this board is totally different from the real life onboard experience. Most of the negativity and extreme criticism stems from people comparing every aspect of the cruise to a prior experience on a different cruise. On every line you’ll encounter a few people who start every statement with “this is my 197473th cruise” followed by something completely unrelated to the number of cruises they have taken. Ignore them and enjoy it. It’s a great cruise line that offers an excellent product and experience. Your choice of cabin will make no difference in how you are treated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had reservations of sailing with Celebrity the first time but mine was more due to concern of it being too formal and stuffy. I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. Having sailed other lines, NCL being a favorite primarily due to freestyle and not needing to dress up, I am now booked on my third (in a row) with Celebrity and a fourth to be booked on board. My last NCL was not a fond memory as service was really bad, it was crowds of angry people everywhere (elevators were a nightmare) and smokey main areas just too much.

For me the most notable difference is that there is a more laid back elegant feel to Celebrity which can be loved or hated but you give up something to get another. There are definitely less activities and I feel their entertainment is lacking but other than my Epic cruise, no other cruise I've sailed has had entertainment that I would call outstanding (my Carnival one was sad in the theater too). The food is very good on Celebrity but I can't say I disliked food on other lines so made no difference in comparison.. it is certainly not 'inedible' on Celebrity as some seem to inquire about ... as if. I really love the no smoking anywhere inside! And lastly I find the ships do not feel so push and shove, they feel more spacious with regards to passenger numbers and interior main areas. If I could add one more thing I wish Celebrity had on their ships, it would be a neighborhood pub type place, they attempt it but I am talking something like Schooner bar on RCL, rustic chairs and tables with a 'cheers' type feel to it. Oh well, can't have it all.

It really comes down to what you value when on a cruise. Ships/cruiselines are more alike than different, and the differences are what should be your focus and decide what is most important to you. I personally do not need a lot of things to entertain me so Celebrity is great, though I would welcome better evening shows but meanwhile you will find me in the NO SMOKE casino entertaining myself :)