What is an appropriate tip for a shore excursion?

Muggle1969

Really varies with where you are, also perhaps who is giving or running the tour. Is it an owner-operator who sets his/her price and value, or is it an employee of a tour company. Also did the driver/ guide go out of their way to do something extra, customize the tour on the fly, find a special spot, etc. Tips can vary from zero, bad guide-poor tour to 20+% for exemplary service beyond the usual call of duty. No set rule.

I agree with what has been said. I wait to see how it goes and what kind of effort is put into the experience and equipment. I have done none, to more than I probably should have because I had so much fun.

By the way, I also try to leave a review and explain good or bad my experience. Just to help others.

I work backwards, figuring how much extra the work the tour guide warrants in total, and then I figure my share of that. That prevents silliness like a rate of gratuity that, if everyone gave it, would garner a ridiculous windfall for the guide.

My approach adjusts for how many ways the tour guide's attention is divided; more personal attention, greater gratuity. If the "tour guide" is providing "personal attention" to 52 people on a bus, then whatever I would give for one on one attention would reasonably get divided by 52.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

While what we tip for excursions (note,we do private tours only, or almost only) is fluid, depending on the length and quality of the tour, we 'usually' tip $5-$10 per person.

This varies a lot, depending on circumstances, but that is our normal tip. A three hour tour, maybe the $5. A n 8 hour tour, probably the $10. A superlative guide or extra long, complicated tour, might up it some.

I agree with $5 pp for a shorter excursion, and $10 for an "all day" thing....assuming it was more than simply transportation, which is what you paid for. We don't tip for simple transportation. If there's a guide that enhances the experience, then we tip. If they do nothing, or there is simply a driver from point A to point B...no tip.

On a few occasions, we've had guides that were so fabulous, that we did tip more...about $30 (for both of us) for a couple hours...the guide is what MADE the tour memorable!

People running tours are well paid there is no need to tip, but if you do certainly not more than $5 per person. Tipping is an American custom, nto worldwide, but people love to see Americans coming so that they can get extra money.

I'm puzzled by the "20% gratuity rule"...is this law in some countries, or a suggestion from government, or what?

A tip is usually a small thank you for exemplary service, not a rule, so it's always completely up to you. Some tip, many don't.

People running tours are well paid there is no need to tip, but if you do certainly not more than $5 per person. Tipping is an American custom, nto worldwide, but people love to see Americans coming so that they can get extra money.

Actually, if you go on boat based tours (fishing, snorkeling, sailing, etc) it's fairly typical that the mates work for tips, not wages.

$5-$10 per person for a good private tour. The larger the tour, the smaller the tip as less individual attention.

Of course, for really special personal attention, tip more.

Agree with the above! Much depends on the personal attention.

I'm puzzled by the "20% gratuity rule"...is this law in some countries, or a suggestion from government, or what?

A tip is usually a small thank you for exemplary service, not a rule, so it's always completely up to you. Some tip, many don't.

In the US servers and waitstaff at restaurants are typically paid well under minimum wage in most states, this is because they are expected to be paid tips.

It used to be 15% of your bill when I was younger, then it became 18% and now the "expected" tip is 20% of your total bill. All the while the total bill gets bigger so they percentage actually grows exponentially.

I have booked several private tours - what would an appropriate tip be - the tour is going to end up being private because there's 8 of us - do I use the 20% gratuity rule?

As strange as this may seem I was on an Alaska cruise .Our tour director was a college professor who refused to accept any gratuities .:)

I have booked several private tours - what would an appropriate tip be - the tour is going to end up being private because there's 8 of us - do I use the 20% gratuity rule?

As strange as this may seem I was on an Alaska cruise .Our tour director was a college professor who refused to accept any gratuities .:)

It used to be 15% of your bill when I was younger, then it became 18% and now the "expected" tip is 20% of your total bill.
I don't see the same evidence of the bump from 18% to 20% that I saw of the evidence of the bump from 15% to 18%. I think what we're seeing is a disparity growing between the expected tip in more expensive areas versus less expensive areas. I've even heard rumblings that the expectation is 25% in Manhattan. But here in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, 18% remains the standard.

When you're talking restaurants the question is before or after sales tax is added. I guess I'm cheap, but I still usually give 15% of the bottom line, or about 17% not including sales tax. To the non-Americans, it all comes out in the wash. When I've been in countries where waiters get a "living wage" (whatever that is!), the meals are always more expensive and it comes out about the same for the same quality meal, restaurant, adjusting for currency exchange.

When you're talking restaurants the question is before or after sales tax is added.
It makes no "sense" to tip servers for tax, but I do it anyway because it's typically the larger/bolder number on the slip and therefore easier for my eyes to see.