Sugar free ice cream

fizzy1

Does Celebrity still offer sugar free ice cream ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my recent cruise, they referred to it as "no sugar added". I do not know if that qualifies as "Sugar free". I am not sure I would rely upon the interpretation provided by the server.

On my recent cruise, they referred to it as "no sugar added". I do not know if that qualifies as "Sugar free". I am not sure I would rely upon the interpretation provided by the server.

As you suspect it is two different things. Look at anything that contains fruit. It will naturally have sugar and will list on the container no sugar added, but the nutrition content lists sugar. Compared to a container that has added sugar it is less but still contains a lot if you can’t have it.

I think any dairy product will naturally have sugar unless it is removed and then would be sugar free.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Even plain yogurt has at least 4 grams per serving. Milk does have sugar in it naturally.

Read labels carefully. I picked up a can of fruit from a popular brand that said it was packed in water. I checked the label and they had added sugar to it. I'd rather stick with the no name brand and get it packed in fruit juice.

Ice cream is made with milk and milk as sugar so they offer "No Sugar Added" ice cream. I have been told that the sweetener they use in Splenda but it still bothers my stomach so I cheat a bit and get a small scoop of regular. The flavors of no sugar added vary from day to day.

They normally have one type of sugar free cookies on the ice cream bar each day. Other venues may or may not have them but I always find them at the ice cream bar. Celebrity seems to know the difference between sugar free and no sugar added when they are labeling things, even if the servers do not know.

As you suspect it is two different things. Look at anything that contains fruit. It will naturally have sugar and will list on the container no sugar added, but the nutrition content lists sugar. Compared to a container that has added sugar it is less but still contains a lot if you can’t have it.

I think any dairy product will naturally have sugar unless it is removed and then would be sugar free.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

Thanks . I have to watch my glucose level so when there is an alternative i try and have it otherwise i leave the sweet things out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks . I have to watch my glucose level so when there is an alternative i try and have it otherwise i leave the sweet things out

Hubby has to watch his glucose levels, so he gave into his ice cream cravings and had two scoops of the "no sugar added" ice cream most days of our 14-night cruise. There was only one kind of flavor each day on Eclipse. He didn't like chocolate, so had no ice cream on those days.

Anyway, his glucose level went up on the days he indulged in the "no sugar added" ice cream. He even tried having only one scoop, but his blood glucose would still rise. Frankly I don't think "no sugar added" ice cream is much protection for folks who have very sensitive response to sweet food, even so called "no sugar added" food.

Hubby has to watch his glucose levels, so he gave into his ice cream cravings and had two scoops of the "no sugar added" ice cream most days of our 14-night cruise. There was only one kind of flavor each day on Eclipse. He didn't like chocolate, so had no ice cream on those days.

Anyway, his glucose level went up on the days he indulged in the "no sugar added" ice cream. He even tried having only one scoop, but his blood glucose would still rise. Frankly I don't think "no sugar added" ice cream is much protection for folks who have very sensitive response to sweet food, even so called "no sugar added" food.

Interesting . Thanks for info

Milk naturally has a lot of sugar in it....Milk is a main ingredient in ice cream. Fruits also have natural sugar and there are lots of lots of other types of carbs in abundance on a cruise ship. Those carbs also turn into sugar. I have been dealing with type 2 for 18 years now so I have learned how to monitor what I eat, how to understand that no sugar added does not mean no sugar. I also look for breads and deserts with more complex carbs to convert to sugar slower so I don't get sugar rushes or spikes. All of that said, I am lucky that I can enjoy a single scoop of ice cream each day on a cruise without any issues. I make sure I walk a lot every day to help burn off the extra bit of sugar and help manage my daily numbers.

• Like 1

Milk naturally has a lot of sugar in it....Milk is a main ingredient in ice cream. Fruits also have natural sugar and there are lots of lots of other types of carbs in abundance on a cruise ship. Those carbs also turn into sugar. I have been dealing with type 2 for 18 years now so I have learned how to monitor what I eat, how to understand that no sugar added does not mean no sugar. I also look for breads and deserts with more complex carbs to convert to sugar slower so I don't get sugar rushes or spikes. All of that said, I am lucky that I can enjoy a single scoop of ice cream each day on a cruise without any issues. I make sure I walk a lot every day to help burn off the extra bit of sugar and help manage my daily numbers.

Indeed. I am the same. I don’t take meds for my type 2 but i just try and keep low carbs and very little , if any sugary food. I keep at a fasting level of 4.6 which i think it pretty good

4.6 is excellent for your A1C. Mine was over 9 when I was diagnosed and anything over 7 is bad. I do take meds to help me but according to my doctor my dosage is small and he is very happy with me keeping my A1C under 6. Over 6 is the yellow zone. Cruises are tough for keeping my numbers in line but I must be doing ok because both of last year's check ups were right after long cruise vacations and I passed :)

4.6 is excellent for your A1C. Mine was over 9 when I was diagnosed and anything over 7 is bad. I do take meds to help me but according to my doctor my dosage is small and he is very happy with me keeping my A1C under 6. Over 6 is the yellow zone. Cruises are tough for keeping my numbers in line but I must be doing ok because both of last year's check ups were right after long cruise vacations and I passed :)

Fantastic for you and thanks for the encouragement. I see a wonderful Sister at our GP surgery every 6 months so she keeps me focussed

I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic (6 months ago) and figured on our cruise next March I just have to be diligent and give up the wonderful breads and never indulge in desserts. I don't think there are many options for someone with diabetes in these categories on a cruise. At home I have a bite here or there without skyrocketing my glucose, but a cruise is another story, so I'll just have to stay tough!

My A1C level was at 13.3, but with strong willpower, eating right, exercise, and losing 40 lbs I had it down to 5.7 in 3 months and just tested at the 6 month mark and now it's 5.0. Gotta say I'm pretty proud of myself.

I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic (6 months ago) and figured on our cruise next March I just have to be diligent and give up the wonderful breads and never indulge in desserts. I don't think there are many options for someone with diabetes in these categories on a cruise. At home I have a bite here or there without skyrocketing my glucose, but a cruise is another story, so I'll just have to stay tough!

My A1C level was at 13.3, but with strong willpower, eating right, exercise, and losing 40 lbs I had it down to 5.7 in 3 months and just tested at the 6 month mark and now it's 5.0. Gotta say I'm pretty proud of myself.

Fantastic !!!!