Evening dress code on Encore in Mediterranean

cece50

Our very first cruise is a few weeks away & I think I have a good idea of what to expect regarding dinner dress. We enjoy dressing for dinner, however my husband would prefer not to wear a tux or a business suit. Is the classic blue blazer with dressy trousers, nice shirt with or without a casual tie appropriate? No gowns for me.....just a nice dress or two & dressy pants & tops......hope this works. :cool:

Blazer, dress trousers, dress shirt & tie.....I assume that would work for formal night optional in The Restaurant which is, if I understand correctly, the most formal of the events. I know I can make the simplest dress or silk top & dressy pants look pretty semi or formal.

Blazer would be good for non formal nights. Formal dress which is dark suit or tux is optional, but dining options would be narrowed for you.

Sorry, but that's not what the official dress code says, and it's not what people wear. I wore exactly what the OP said, nice pants (khakis), blue blazer, long-sleeve button shirt, no tie, on formal night and lots of other men were dressed the same in both the Keller Grill and The Restaurant.

:rolleyes: Why ask if you are just going to do what you think anyway?[/quote

Just a discussion to clarify.....:rolleyes: didn’t know the “critic” on this board meant just that.....Wow....have a nice day😎

Sorry, but that's not what the official dress code says, and it's not what people wear. I wore exactly what the OP said, nice pants (khakis), blue blazer, long-sleeve button shirt, no tie, on formal night and lots of other men were dressed the same in both the Keller Grill and The Restaurant.

Thank You.....that was very helpful👍

My husband takes a nice jacket which he tends to wear every evening as the restaurant can be a little chilly. He wears a dress shirt each evening but on formal nights just adds a tie. Don't worry about taking an additional suit, it is not necessary but a jacket and tie definitely if you want to eat in the MDR on formal night.

Just as an aside, on our Caribbean cruise in February a guy came into the MDR wearing shorts and flip flops! This was the last night and we suspect his excuse was that he had packed but he certainly got looks from people! Really he should have gone elsewhere to dine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well good for you, the other percentage of people haven't worn that for formal. Not for the three hundred days I have on SB anyway!

:rolleyes: Why ask if you are just going to do what you think anyway?[/quote

Just a discussion to clarify.....:rolleyes: didn’t know the “critic” on this board meant just that.....Wow....have a nice day😎

Nobody is criticising anyone, but you rather answered you own question didn't you? Anyways take your advice from someone who has been on one SB cruise, they are bound to have all the answers!

As with so many Seabourn dress code discussions, the above is mixing up what the dress code is vs. what some Seabourn regulars would like it to be. A dinner jacket or blazer with dressy trousers (not jeans) is perfectly acceptable in The Restaurant on formal nights (or formal optional nights as they are now called). There is no need to pack a tuxedo, suit or tie for a Seabourn cruise should you not want to.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last September and October on the Encore, my husband wore his navy blazer with gray dress slacks, dress shirt and tie on formal night. I wore a simple black dress with jewelry. We dined in the Thomas Keller Grill and fit in just fine with other passengers that evening. In June, we will sail on the Ovation. My husband will pack a dark suit if there is room in his suitcase. I MAY take a slightly dressier black dress. Undecided.

Thank You to all who posted positive & helpful interpretations of the Seabourn dress code. Seems to me the gents will be fine with a nicely put together blazer, dress trousers, dress shirt, tie & pocket square. We are extending our trip beyond our cruise, so one suitcase each is imperative.

Thank You to all who posted positive & helpful interpretations of the Seabourn dress code. Seems to me the gents will be fine with a nicely put together blazer, dress trousers, dress shirt, tie & pocket square. We are extending our trip beyond our cruise, so one suitcase each is imperative.

Bravo!!! Enjoy your cruise. It’s your cruise and holiday. Enjoy it the way you want and how you want. If it’s within the Seabourn dress code that’s all that matters. We are packing the exact same things for the same reasons. And you won’t be the only one. There are 600 cruisers, assuming half of each sex, statistically you won’t be alone in your choice of attire.

Re: shorts and flip flops - fairly poor training not to have politely declined the gentleman entry to MdR!

My husband takes a nice jacket which he tends to wear every evening as the restaurant can be a little chilly. He wears a dress shirt each evening but on formal nights just adds a tie. Don't worry about taking an additional suit, it is not necessary but a jacket and tie definitely if you want to eat in the MDR on formal night.

Just as an aside, on our Caribbean cruise in February a guy came into the MDR wearing shorts and flip flops! This was the last night and we suspect his excuse was that he had packed but he certainly got looks from people! Really he should have gone elsewhere to dine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Recently, Same here on the last night on the Caribbean trip on the odyssey we saw jeans (also figured because they packed and had put their luggage out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I don’t want to be the only woman in pants.....????

You absolutely will not be, rest assured. In fact, more women wore pants than dresses on our Med cruise formal night last fall on Odyssey. My wife wore a "Chico's" outfit and fit in just fine.

I do not pack a cocktail dress just because I don't want to take up that much packing space. I do wear a dress most every night though---but that's just me as I am not a pants person. I take a couple of different black dresses that can pass muster for the formal night. I would love to take a cocktail dress if it could teleport itself onto the ship bypassing my suitcase!

carol what you are suggesting sounds fine. I am doing the Med this July and I for one night will be wearing nice pants and a dressy top.

I am now intrigued as to the definition of cocktail dress.....sorry to make a dress thread go longer.:)

For my other formal night I am taking a slim line, black knee length dress with silver beading around the neckline. Now I would classify it as a cocktail dress but because it doesn't take up that much room......should I classify it as a little black dress?

I am not trying to be cheeky, I am really curious as I am wondering if the definition for a cocktail dress is different in the USA as opposed to Perth. I mean we are isolated over here:D.

Julie

By the way Happy Mother's Day to All.

Edited by frantic36

Julie

Your dress is both - a LBD and a cocktail dress. It can be both depending on material and bling, just like your silver beading.

You will be just fine both evenings . I am a great fan of black silk pants and a couple of fancy silk tops for the trip. They pack down to almost nothing and look great.

And Perth may be a bit remote, but certainly not isolated, I know...

Edited by marazul

Oh, a cocktail dress can fold down to nothing--it just happens that my favorite one doesn't pack well and takes up more room. I am considering taking a black dress that does have beading around the neck, but I often just take a plain black dress and wear sparkly earrings and such.

Thanks marazul and SLSD for answering. I was just a bit confused, must have been the lack of morning coffee. I've fixed that now :D.

Before any cheeky friends reply.......I am saving my Mother's Day Champagne for this evening.:cool:

Julie

Thanks marazul and SLSD for answering. I was just a bit confused, must have been the lack of morning coffee. I've fixed that now :D.

Before any cheeky friends reply.......I am saving my Mother's Day Champagne for this evening.:cool:

Julie

Trying a new approach Julie [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I thought as I get closer to 60 it was about time I got more responsible. Though I could say that I learnt from some of the best, hey Mr L.:D

Julie

Being in our 30s ... the LBD that is 'an evening cocktail dress' doesn't often leave much to the imagination. Especially with a few complimentary champagne. I see a risqué number of two under the Ready to Wear "cocktail dresses" tab on the Agent Provocateur website. :halo:

We'll be sure to pack something appropriate but enjoy reading this thread as we're sailing Encore in August (most CC cruisers seem to avoid the August peak season in the Med but alas it coincided with our work schedules)