Where to stay in Sydney

Doing a cruise out of Sydney January 31, 2019. Planning on staying in Sydney for 3 nights before cruise. Any suggestions where to stay that is reasonably priced and close to the downtown area?

HI ''The other Tom"' one board is ports of call ( ie land based ) Australia and New Zealand

The other board Australia and New Zealand cruisers is for people Cruising in and around Australia like the "'ÜK cruising"'

Since some of cruise line do different things in Australian waters if the cruise starts and ends in Australia.

I hope this explains for you.

Cheers Don.... oh almost time for a G&T

You will need a couple of days to get over your flight.

Your ship will probably leave from circular quay,thats next to the opera house and a historic area called the rocks.

Also at circular quay is the main ferry terminal the best kept secret in Sydney.

Around that area hotels are EXPENSIVE.

Sydney has a fantastic and safe train system and there’s a train station at circular quay,a few minutes walk to your ship.

So if you don’t want to spend the big bucks around the harbour all you need is a train station near your hotel.

For something cheaper I would look around

Darling harbour

China town

Haymarket

HI ''The other Tom"' one board is ports of call ( ie land based ) Australia and New Zealand

The other board Australia and New Zealand cruisers is for people Cruising in and around Australia like the "'ÜK cruising"'

Since some of cruise line do different things in Australian waters if the cruise starts and ends in Australia.

Thanks, Don

There many options, but to get you started, some commonly mentioned hotels off the top of my head:

Holiday Inn Old Sydney (The Rocks)

YHA The Rocks

Marriott Circular Quay

Travelodge Wynyard

Shangri-La

InterContinental

Four Seasons

Swissotel

The Tank Stream

I didn't know this other board existed until I accidentally clicked on it recently when trying to find my way back here. I could see the names of familiar posters but all the posts were different ... I thought I was in The Twilight Zone. It took me a few minutes to figure out it was a different board altogether!

Holiday Inn Old Sydney gets my vote having stayed there a few times even though I live in a Sydney suburb. It is extremely handy to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. If that is where your ship is going from you could not get one any closer. It is a very short and easy walk to the terminal - maybe 200 metres. If you are leaving from White Bay Terminal that is another story altogether as there is no nearby accommodation.

we stay at north sydney harbourview hotel, they have a cruise package...room breakfast and they transport you to the cruise port ...yes it is on the other side of the habour but the hotel prices are so expensive in sydney so it saves money staying on the other side

We booked an apartment at oaks goldsborough at darling harbor. Don’t know how it will work out, but I always try to use apartments rather than hotels. Three adults, so it requires two rooms. Price wise it’s also a little cheaper. Booked apartments in Barcelona and Venice, both worked perfectly for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out Napoleon on Kent apartments good price very central no bells and whistles Aussie

This is an excellent choice. ..great price approx $144 night for studio with kitchenette, very close to Wynyard station, Circular Quay, Barrangaroo etc. Definitely worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

we stay at north sydney harbourview hotel....they have a cruise package....room breakfast and transfer to the pier on your day of departure....it is above a railway station so you will be able to acess sydney during your stay

Doing a cruise out of Sydney January 31, 2019. Planning on staying in Sydney for 3 nights before cruise. Any suggestions where to stay that is reasonably priced and close to the downtown area?

Australia Day is January 26th, the public holiday is January 28th, you may find prices more expensive particularly on the 27/28th Due to the public holiday...

I always stay at the Rydges on Pitt Street (Cnr Liverpool Street)

There is a train station a couple hundred meters walk away.

Check pricing though, as I am not sure what it cost me as I used loyalty points for a free night.

Check pricing though, as I am not sure what it cost me as I used loyalty points for a free night.

Rydges are good but can be a bit expensive.

Yes their 'Priority Guest' loyalty program is worth joining, best room prices and points for a stay, meals, drinks. You also get 20% off meals and drinks and a free drink on arrival. Rydges at Sydney International Airport is fantastic for an early road, just across the road from check in at the Terminal. The one on World Square, Sydney is also good, North Sydney one is rubbish.:evilsmile: Join Seniors Club on Line or National Seniors and most Rydges will give us Dinosaurs complimentary brekkie.

Yes their 'Priority Guest' loyalty program is worth joining, best room prices and points for a stay, meals, drinks. You also get 20% off meals and drinks and a free drink on arrival. Rydges at Sydney International Airport is fantastic for an early road, just across the road from check in at the Terminal. The one on World Square, Sydney is also good, North Sydney one is rubbish.:evilsmile: Join Seniors Club on Line or National Seniors and most Rydges will give us Dinosaurs complimentary brekkie.

North Sydney was the first Rydges I stayed at, but that was a loooooooong time ago.

North Sydney was the first Rydges I stayed at, but that was a loooooooong time ago.

Having stayed there 4 times in the past 5 years, let me tell you mate, it is now a dump, well past its use by date.:evilsmile:

Having stayed there 4 times in the past 5 years, let me tell you mate, it is now a dump, well past its use by date.:evilsmile:

Sad to hear, it was that hotel that lead to many nights with Rydges

Don’t know why you need to stay in “downtown area”,look up

Glenferrie Lodge in Kirribilli .Its 2 minutes from the ferry which is a pleasant 17 minutes ride to circular quay,very clean and reasonable,breakfast option if you want it,hope you have a wonderful holiday

Cheers Carole

Sad to hear, it was that hotel that lead to many nights with Rydges
Yes mate, I stay there when visiting my son at Riverview, he always has a heap of South Americans staying with him, so we have to camp out at Rydges North Sydney, 1975 time warp hotel, cockroaches and all.:o:(