Opinion needed

lenquixote66

I am supposed to only eat gluten free .However ,on a recent 12 day cruise I decided to eat regular food .After 7 days I became ill and went to the infirmary . The doctor told me that I must stay with gluten free .I spoke to one of the Head Waiters in the MDR and for the remaining 5 days of the cruise he chose my food for every meal .On days that the MDR was closed he spoke to a Buffet Chef and worked out a menu for me as well.

On the last night I wanted to tip him $100.My wife said that was crazy and $10 is what I should tip.I gave him something in between.

I told him that I will be on another cruise with the ship and he said he will take care of me from day 1.This will be a 12 day cruise.i would like opinions on what amount i should tip him.

Thanking you in advance ,I am

That was considerate and customer focused service, which (of course) is his job. In all honesty, however, I don't see how that is "above and beyond" the call-of-duty.

That said, a personal letter to the ship's hotel manager commending the head waiter's work (copy to him) will be far more supportive for his advancement than a one time tip (even an overly generous one of $100)

^^^^ Exactly what LHT28 said. Well before your next cruise, notify your cruiseline's Special Needs dept. that you require a GF diet. Remind your waiter on your first night in the MDR. Then there will be no need for the head waiter to put in so much extra work. In the buffet, speak with one of the chefs. One of them should be able to point out your options. No need to involve the waiter.

Tip him whatever you think is the most appropriate, since it is your health he is helping you with.

One of my sons has celiac disease and there is no way he would have made it 7 days before getting sick.

I have Ulcerative Colitis .If I had celiac or Crohn's I would never try anything other than gluten free.

I also have ulcerative colitis but don’t need to eat gluten free. I can’t eat potatoes, tomatoes, pork or shellfish and I can’t eat anything with a lot of fiber or foods that contain nuts or seeds. Of course every person with UC reacts to different foods though. Did you GI doc test you for gluten intolerance?

How much is up to you. And how much you feel they did for you.

I would not say that $100 was excessive.

It sounds like a lot of personal service, and working with you. While that is part of their job, I would still give them a good tip.

I am supposed to only eat gluten free .However ,on a recent 12 day cruise I decided to eat regular food .After 7 days I became ill and went to the infirmary . The doctor told me that I must stay with gluten free .I spoke to one of the Head Waiters in the MDR and for the remaining 5 days of the cruise he chose my food for every meal .On days that the MDR was closed he spoke to a Buffet Chef and worked out a menu for me as well.

On the last night I wanted to tip him $100.My wife said that was crazy and $10 is what I should tip.I gave him something in between.

I told him that I will be on another cruise with the ship and he said he will take care of me from day 1.This will be a 12 day cruise.i would like opinions on what amount i should tip him.

Thanking you in advance ,I am

Money is great, but for marital harmony, I think you should determine the amount by balancing your desire to express gratitude and your wife's lack of enthusiasm. What I think would be even more appreciated, in addition to the money, is a letter to mgt. expressing your gratitude for the individual's desire to take care of your special needs. Let him know you praised him to his bosses.

On you next cruise, assuming your waiter is just as good and responsive, make sure you also write a recommendation for him/her before you depart the cruise. I know Princess (and I would guess other lines) has commendation cards to fill out on the ship plus a section of their on-line survey sent to you after the cruise asks for the name of staff who made a difference on your cruise. These go into their personnel files for both special awards and promotions.