Travel insurance question

shymedic

i Just got off of the Freedom where I broke my ankle on the first night of the cruise. I am not sure what to do. I called customer care and they responded saying I had cruise protection coverage and to contact them. Has this ever happened to anyone and what should I do? Should I go through them? I love carnival but should I get a lawyer? Please help!!

If you had cruise or travel insurance, the first thing you do is contact the insurance company to determine what your next steps are.

What exactly is it you're looking for?

You went on vacation, you broke your ankle, I assume you were treated by a medical professional, I assume you received copies of your medical chart or notes. I assume you got a copy of the bill you paid,,, call the insurance company and start the claim process!!

Where does "get a lawyer" come into play?

Klfrodo,

Thank you for your response. You are correct I have copies of everything. I am looking for all the medical bills to be paid by the cruise line and I am looking for a full refund of my cruise as I was stuck in my room the entire time. I was just asking if someone else had been through the same thing to see how responsive the cruise line insurance company really is.

If you were stuck in your cabin the entire time on medical orders, then your travel insurance will pay for that time under Trip Interruption portion of the policy.

Everything you do or are claiming is covered by travel insurance. To include your medical bills “up to the max amount” according to your policy. This will include any post cruise care required.

If you went thru your TA for insurance or if you went thru an insurance broker like insuremytrip or tripinsurancestore,,, call them to help you thru the process.

Thinking lawyer and how you can make Carnival pay for this is a mistake in my opinion. You haven’t said anything yet that would make me see their liability.

If , and I mean big IF, you decide to try to file suit,,,, you have to file in Miami and I believe it has to go thru arbitration in accordance with the contract you sign when you agreed to go on the cruise.

Edited by klfrodo

Klfrodo,

Thank you for your response. You are correct I have copies of everything. I am looking for all the medical bills to be paid by the cruise line and I am looking for a full refund of my cruise as I was stuck in my room the entire time. I was just asking if someone else had been through the same thing to see how responsive the cruise line insurance company really is.

The devil is in the details. Did the cruise line cause you to break your ankle? If not, why should they pay for your medical bills and refund your cruise? Accidents happen which is one reason why many folks purchase insurance, and the terms of your insurance policy will usually determine the extent of your benefits. If the cruise line was negligent and this caused your broken ankle, perhaps you might be able to get some kind of compensation from the cruise line...but this might involve a long an complicated legal battle or perhaps the cruise line might be willing to settle without a big hassle (we would not hold our breath).

We were recently through a similar situation when DW severely injured her leg in Vietnam. Her injury was too severe to be successfully treated on the ship so we had to spend a port day at a Japanese hospital where she had a procedure to stabilize her situation. The ship;s physician the talked to our insurance company and we all decided it was best (medically) for her to be evacuated home which was done from another Japanese port. The cruise line had no obligation to pay for anything but our insurance did pay the medical bills and the cost of getting DW back home (they also paid part of my cost). We were able to recover the cost of the unused part of our cruise, but this was paid by insurance...not the cruise line.

Hank

Did you not know you had the "cruise protection" when you were onboard? I'm guessing you paid for your treatment with a credit card? Did no one explain that you would need to file with the "cruise protection" company?

You say you were stuck in your cabin, did you have doctor's orders to stay in cabin? Many people have reported that they had a break shortly before a cruise but their doctor cleared them to cruise so they did not get any compensation for missing part of the cruise. The protection company will want that documented.

Good luck getting your losses compensated.