cruise line or private insurance in case of family death

Iamcruzin

We will be a group of 5 traveling on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas in June 2019. We booked this cruise in March of 2018 and our final payment is in February 2019. We are a group of 5 traveling in 3 different rooms. My wife and I will be in one room, My son and a friend are booked in the second room and his friends mother is booked as a solo in a solo balcony room. During the past few months both my mother and my mother in law have had major health problems so I'm looking for advise on where to purchase my travel insurance from. My main concern is that we can cancel the trip if something should happen to either parent after final payment and we won't be able to sail.

1. Can I purchase the cruise ship insurance for just my son (he and his friend are paying their own way for the cruise) if the cruise ship insurance is my only option?
  2. Since we already booked the cruise and are past the 14 day pre existing condition clause will cancelation of the cruise due to a parents death or hospitalization be covered under either plan?

I really don't want a cruise credit from the cruise line and prefer a full refund. Please advise.

We will be a group of 5 traveling on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas in June 2019. We booked this cruise in March of 2018 and our final payment is in February 2019. We are a group of 5 traveling in 3 different rooms. My wife and I will be in one room, My son and a friend are booked in the second room and his friends mother is booked as a solo in a solo balcony room. During the past few months both my mother and my mother in law have had major health problems so I'm looking for advise on where to purchase my travel insurance from. My main concern is that we can cancel the trip if something should happen to either parent after final payment and we won't be able to sail.

1. Can I purchase the cruise ship insurance for just my son (he and his friend are paying their own way for the cruise) if the cruise ship insurance is my only option?
  2. Since we already booked the cruise and are past the 14 day pre existing condition clause will cancelation of the cruise due to a parents death or hospitalization be covered under either plan?

I really don't want a cruise credit from the cruise line and prefer a full refund. Please advise.

Contact

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them, don't just read the summaries online; the fine print matters.

They have at least one policy that will cover pre-exisitng conditions if insurance is purchased no later than within 24 hours of *final* payment (defined narrowly, obviously).

BTW, if it is for non-traveling family members' health, for some other policies, the pre-existing condition clause might not be a factor anyway.

But to be safe, the type of policy I mentioned above is probably best.

Let them help you choose a policy after you explain the entire family situation... who is traveling AND would anyone want to go if one of those named people got sick, or is it just some of you, etc.

Good luck.

Hope all remain well.

GC

Iamcruzin/Mike, you probably will have a better selection of policies (and options) to choose from by going through a broker rather than through the cruise line, so it's best to check out both.

A popular travel insurance broker site often mentioned here is https://www.insuremytrip.com/

They have a wide range of products online and very helpful phone agents.

Best of luck!