Balmoral Norway in July

SpicyRed

Hi everybody, Myself and hubby are going on our first cruise in July 22nd to Norway on the Balmoral. Really looking forward to it as it is a 50th Birthday prezzie to ourselves.

I am panicking about a few things which hopefully you can all put my mind at ease.....

Would we be better booking excursions on board/ via brochure we received or ashore?

What currency should we take?

Is it a good idea to get a credit card suitable for abroad that doesn't charge so we just withdraw from an ATM ? Or Travellers cheques( if they`re still done)

Do we take a mix of warm weather & cold weather clothing?

I`m sure there were more questions but they have gone from my head :D

Norway is a truly beautiful country and the fjords in particular are spectacular. We tend to book the excursions before we sail but if you are first timers then there may be no advantage in doing so apart from guaranteeing your tour tickets. There are always tours available on shore and they will be cheaper but just as good. If you use an official ship tour then if the tour is late getting back, the ship will wait. If you book on shore then the ship will not wait. If your itinerary includes Oslo there is a Hop-on-Hop-off bus service that will take you absolutely everywhere you could wish to see in the city. Norway prefers its own currency as they are not part of the EU but they accept all cards. Pay in local currency rather than UK. Everything is incredibly expensive so don't expect to pick up many bargains. Although the shops do have sales and you might be lucky enough to buy a jumper or coat. In July the weather could be baking hot but take some warm clothing just in case. Don't expect to see northern lights in July as it doesn't really get dark at that time of year.

A lovely country and most friendly people. The weather can be changeable. The locals boast of four climates per day. Wear layers of clothes. Take local Krona with you. It's a place for sightseeing not shopping. Most things are expensive, especially alcohol. Some of Fred. Olsen's excursions are excellent. The most popular often fill up quickly so it can be better to book before you sail - you can do this on line. Have a great trip.

We have been to Norway twice, the first time on Balmoral. The scenery is beautiful, but weather can be changeable, so take layers plus waterproof jacket.

Everywhere takes CC, so get one like Halifax Clarity which doesn't make any charge for using abroad. If you order online it arrives within a week.

Almost all the excursions can be booked direct with the supplier for about half the price charged by ship. There is lots of information on the Baltics and Northern Europe Forums or Tripadvisor. The Norwegian tourist board website is another good source.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our first cruise (not Fred) was to the Caribbean, but Norway is an excellent choice for a first timer. Apart from the splendid scenery almost everybody speaks English and in the extreme unlikelihood of missing a ship it's very easy to get to the next port of call by public transport.

Things are very expensive in Norway as it is, without having to pay double the cost by doing ship excursions. Nearly all are available direct from local supplier online.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have a few stray euros or dollars from other holidays, they're accepted in many places, especially souvenir shops; also several will take pounds- not a good rate of exchange, but handy for small purchases.

We were on Balmoral to Norway last autumn, and loved it that the captain spoke about the sights as we cruised along the fjords...and the Norwegians seemed to love Balmoral, as she's a Norwegian ship! We found her a very relaxed, friendly ship, with amazingly good food, compared to most of the other lines we've used. We're on her again this summer.

Enjoy! :)