Pan Pacific Hotel / Canada Place Parking ---- What could be better?

Okay, lets's put the budgets aside for the sake of this question.

We plan to drive up to Vancouver in our own car the day prior to sailing and will arrive around 7:00pm.

We will get a room at Pan Pacific. Wife will be using a wheel chair for this cruise. This is only the 2nd time we have needed to use a chair and we are learning the need to plan well. She can walk for very short distances.

We will pre-book parking at Canada Place too.

So, do I park the car first and then check into the hotel with all our luggage? Or go to the hotel first and then move the car?

Is this the easiest option for a 1-night stay prior to boarding?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as I need to finalize this pretty soon.

Yes, I am obsessing in my older years over the "details".

Thanks folks for your suggestions and comments.

Easiest? I think that it's pretty obvious that it doesn't get any easier than both parking and sleeping right above the pier, so budget-aside yes indeedy this is your best option.

As to what to do - I'd check in at the hotel first myself, that way you can get bell staff to take bags right from the car and not need to worry about schlepping 2 peoples bags and pushing your wife's chair from parking! No doubt the PP also offers Valet parking - even easier since we're not worried about budget than for you to park the car yourself... But assuming budget does become relevant at some stage, still worth considering in case you can score a Room & Cruise Parking deal - though probably more than the still-not-cheap self-park rates!

Easiest? I think that it's pretty obvious that it doesn't get any easier than both parking and sleeping right above the pier, so budget-aside yes indeedy this is your best option.

As to what to do - I'd check in at the hotel first myself, that way you can get bell staff to take bags right from the car and not need to worry about schlepping 2 peoples bags and pushing your wife's chair from parking! No doubt the PP also offers Valet parking - even easier since we're not worried about budget than for you to park the car yourself... But assuming budget does become relevant at some stage, still worth considering in case you can score a Room & Cruise Parking deal - though probably more than the still-not-cheap self-park rates!

Thanks!!! I was hoping you would weigh in with a reply. I have been reading all your comments on these boards and really appreciate all your insight. Going to call the hotel now and check to see if they have any Room & Cruise packages as I don't see any online.

Follow up question...

I see a package for Washington guests that include 1-night of parking. And, another package that includes luggage transfer directly to the ship. Can I trust the "luggage transfer". I usually get up early and explore the area on foot, so it is not an issue for me to take the luggage down to the ship and come back to pick of my wife. What would you do?

The hotel does not offer any cruise and park packages. She said most of the parking around Vancouver is actually owned by the city and they pay a discounted fee to secure parking.

The city does own many of the lots - and since PP uses the same structure as 'Canada Place' parking I guess they don't feel their discounted rates are cheap enough to offer a week+ parking 'free' in a package. Can't help on how trustworthy the PP bellstaff are, since I walk to the pier - I would imagine the odds of your bag going missing are very, very slim, but it's still a non-zero risk. Lots of other travelers have done it, everyone posting on here seems very happy with the 'bag disappears, and reappears in my room' PP service.

You have to trust not just that minion does not lose your bag somewhere inside the hotel, but also that they hand it over to the correct ship if it's a 2+ ship day... doing it yourself you literally hand it over to the guy running the conveyor belt headed down to your vessel, not just a generic bag drop or even by cruiseline, so it's the safest possible option.

I've only heard a couple of tales of bags ending up on the wrong ship at Vancouver - and there's enough shared ports that odds are even if it does happen you can get it back again while up in Alaska (Princess/HAL ships literally follow each other port to port to port sometimes!). With a spouse in a chair to worry about, I'd probably take the very small extra risk for the convenience of being able to get bags taken right from your room to the ship... but as a fully able-bodied traveler, I would not.

Okay, All booked... I will probably walk the luggage down myself and then go back to get my wife. Thanks for the input. If time allows, I might make a YouTube video since this port is unique to most other ports I have experienced in the States. Now it is time to start fretting over shore excursions. Cheers!

Okay, All booked... I will probably walk the luggage down myself and then go back to get my wife. Thanks for the input. If time allows, I might make a YouTube video since this port is unique to most other ports I have experienced in the States. Now it is time to start fretting over shore excursions. Cheers!

Sounds like a good plan. The elevator can bring you down to the drop off & check in level, there were free luggage carts last time there, so you can wheel your bags to check in. I think the elevator is just inside the street level entrance on the right. Or maybe a Porter will take the bags and you go along with the paper work.

You are handy to many restaurants in Gastown. Some by the Waterfront Station too, a block away. Liquor Store and $ store across the street from the Station.

We stayed at the Pan Pacific last summer for two nights prior to the cruise - and it was wonderful! Anyway, we first drove up to the front door of the hotel and had the bellman take the luggage. We then drove down the ramp and parked the car and took the elevator up to the check in desk. Our luggage was on a cart in a secure area and was delivered to our room after check in.

Like some others, we are more comfortable taking our luggage down to the cruise check in area ourselves rather than letting the hotel do it. Since check out time at the hotel was at noon, we took our luggage down to the longshoremen at about 10 am and went back up to our room for an hour or so to kill time until cruise check in time which began about 11 am. Then we grabbed our carry-ons, went down the elevator (note that you have to change elevators at lobby level) and walked up to the cruise check in desk. Every thing was very easy and hassle free.

Follow up question...

The hotel does not offer any cruise and park packages. She said most of the parking around Vancouver is actually owned by the city and they pay a discounted fee to secure parking.

The ramp going down to the cruise ship terminal has several lanes, some go to the parking level other the cruise terminal.

The parking at Canada Place is $26.00 CDN per day, around $20 US per day. Elevator access from the parking level with take you to either the cruise ship terminal or the hotel. Like below, including the one to pre-reserve a spot.

Directions: https://canadaplace.westpark.com/cruise-ship-parking.html

Rate: http://www.canadaplace.westpark.com/rates.html

This is probably the most convenient option. Cheaper options may be available with some of the other downtown parking lots or hotel packages out in Richmond but that would involve a taxi ride. There are wheelchair accessible taxi cabs in Vancouver.

The ramp going down to the cruise ship terminal has several lanes, some go to the parking level other the cruise terminal.

The parking at Canada Place is $26.00 CDN per day, around $20 US per day. Elevator access from the parking level with take you to either the cruise ship terminal or the hotel. Like below, including the one to pre-reserve a spot.

Directions: https://canadaplace.westpark.com/cruise-ship-parking.html

Rate: http://www.canadaplace.westpark.com/rates.html

This is probably the most convenient option. Cheaper options may be available with some of the other downtown parking lots or hotel packages out in Richmond but that would involve a taxi ride. There are wheelchair accessible taxi cabs in Vancouver.

YVR has long term parking and the train is there to the airport or Waterfront Station but not easy with a wheelchair and luggage.

You can book a HandyDart Cab at YVR to pick you up.

https://www.translink.ca/Rider-Guide/Accessible-Transit/HandyDART.aspx

If driving from the US to Can. or Can. to US check the Border Crossing wait times ahead, as it can be a LONG wait depending on the time and day of the week. If you are planning on boarding the same day, then it could be stressful.

http://www.news1130.com/2018/05/21/planning-ahead-picking-right-line-keys-border-crossing-success/

Edited by CVU

YVR has long term parking and the train is there to the airport or Waterfront Station but not easy with a wheelchair and luggage.

You can book a HandyDart Cab at YVR to pick you up.

https://www.translink.ca/Rider-Guide/Accessible-Transit/HandyDART.aspx

If driving from the US to Can. or Can. to US check the Border Crossing wait times ahead, as it can be a LONG wait depending on the time and day of the week. If you are planning on boarding the same day, then it could be stressful.

http://www.news1130.com/2018/05/21/planning-ahead-picking-right-line-keys-border-crossing-success/

HandyDart is a special transit program for people with disabilities that charges about the same cost as taking a bus or Skytrain. A visitor from outside of BC would probably not want to apply for the service and book ahead of time. During peek periods they priorities that server around medical appointments etc.

As a tourist your probably better off with the taxi services.

Parking at the airport is an expensive option. An alternative would be something like this from Hampton Inn that provides a hotel for the night, transfer and parking for the week...

http://www.hamptoninnvancouver.com/park-and-cruise-hotel-package

• 3 months later...

Stayed at the Pan Pacific last year, and it was a treat to have our luggage picked up from our room at 9:00 AM the day the ship left, not have to go outside to check in, and find our luggage waiting for us in the cabin/stateroom. A hotel like the Pan Pacific will be sure your luggage is safe. But, if you do not trust others then, for your own peace of mind, you probably have to lug the cases yourself. Whatever you decide, be sure to have a great cruise. The hotel is superb, by the way.:)