Free Public Wi-Fi in Downtown Vancouver

eeeerm... in what context? Is it true? yes. Is it really free? yes. is there really no cap? yes - but speeds do slow down with many users, so don't ever expect to be able to stream videos usefully and you'll be fine.

Despite the date on that article it's been running for several years and had already expanded from the downtown core to well beyond - Shaw have just expanded it faster than usual in the last year-ish as they also sponsor the Mobi Bike scheme, so every rack of bikes they install also comes with an expansion the city free WiFi network (the racks can communicate with home base so they seem to have figured two birds, one stone). After the pilot year went well, city approved a big expansion of Mobi Bike includ9ing into multiple Stanley park sites, which is why there has been a similar expansion of VanWiFi.

It's city approved, I've yet to hear of any hacking incidents, but like all free WiFi not a bad idea to run your own VPN to keep you separated from all the other users with an extra layer of security.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you, martincath. I was hoping you would weigh in.

No problemo, glad to help. Plus, the more folks who think 'Vancouver = teh bestest' means the more tourist bucks we get! Plus Plus: extracting monies is always most satisfying when the folks paying also think it's a good deal not a rip-off-) Free intrawebs means more folks doing more than just reading CC, Tripadvisor etc. and generally spreading their love among more than just the biggest bus-stop-advertising restos, sites etc.

If you really want to give some payback, spend your visitor monies in a few 'mom & pop' small businesses - I don't want to push you into violating CC guidelines so I won't name names, but do a little Googling and it should be pretty obvious who is a big corporation and who is a small local concern;-)

In addition to this service you will also find that Starbucks, Benz Coffee, McDonalds, Tim Hortons and a host of others also offer free Wi-Fi. Lots of options.

YVR as well is all free WiFi.