Buying pre-cruise wine in Seattle......

Qstrom

I seem to remember Washington state having an expensive 25% tax on wines and liquors when I was up there in 2016. We're considering purchasing a couple of bottles of wine to take on board, are we going to pay that much more as to not be a reasonable option and just pay for a bottle on board....? We have a beverage package however I'd like to have a full bottle of wine for our group of six for dinner. Thanks

The liquor tax is what you're thinking of, not wine - there's a fixed fee per litre plus a whopping 20.5% sales tax, so depending how big and expensive the bottle is that can certainly end up at ~25%.

Wine is taxed much less heavily - regular sales taxes, a <$1 per gallon excise tax, and if it's a fortified wine or just brewed to a hefty ABV (~15% IIRC) the excise does increase to little over $2.50 a gallon. It's still cheaper compared to buying wine in BC or on board. As an example, a nice $30 bottle with 13.5% ABV will have ~10% total added ($29.99 > $33.12 with all taxes applied). Shelf pricing includes the excise already, it's just Sales (10.1%) on top at the checkout for wine).