Visa requirements

rhsjr

• 2 weeks later...

I"m still a bit confused. When I completed the purchase of our plane tickets on Qantas, the Visa ETA link took me to the US Government site for a Visa, saying anyone traveling in, to, or from the USA needed one. As US citizens don't we just need the AU visa?

I'm still a bit confused. When I completed the purchase of our plane tickets on Qantas, the Visa ETA link took me to the US Government site for a Visa, saying anyone traveling in, to, or from the USA needed one. As US citizens don't we just need the AU visa?
I don't know who Qantas shows that link to, but as a US citizen you definitely won't need a US visa for travel from the US to Australia or vice versa. Possibly something has got lost in translation.

A US citizen will need an Australian ETA, though. My consistent advice is the same as GradUT's: If you don't already have an alternative reliable source, use the official Australian government site and you won't go wrong. The link (which he has already posted above) is https://www.eta.immi.gov.au.

I don't know who Qantas shows that link to, but as a US citizen you definitely won't need a US visa for travel from the US to Australia or vice versa. Possibly something has got lost in translation.

A US citizen will need an Australian ETA, though. My consistent advice is the same as GradUT's: If you don't already have an alternative reliable source, use the official Australian government site and you won't go wrong. The link (which he has already posted above) is https://www.eta.immi.gov.au.

Thanks. That had been my understanding until that link. It just put a bit of doubt out there. I will absolutely use the link you provided!

• 3 weeks later...
I used the EasyETA.com website and got approval within 12 hours. It was only US $10. The site seemed very solid and I liked the way it worked.

We go Down Under every year and for 9.95 this is the only way to go.

Are all or most visas this inexpensive?
It varies from issuing country to issuing country, and it varies by passenger nationality.

For example, I get my Australian document for free because I can get an eVisitor instead of an ETA.

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 10:43 AM, Etta1213 said:

Are all or most visas this inexpensive?

I know this thread is a little older now, but I thought I would answer this.

The very inexpensive ETA (electronic Travel Authoriziation) is like an electronic visa.  It gives you legal authorization to enter.  You get to use the cheap ETA as long as you don't have any issues such as I had.  If you are denied the ETA then you must go and apply for a Visa, which then does cost more.  Depending on the type of visa you apply for determines the price of it.  Different countries have different prices. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2018 at 6:55 AM, rhsjr said:

I just read that U.S. citizens need a Visa for Australia, but not New Zealand. Is that really true if staying less than 3 months?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Actually this is not true any longer if you are traveling to New Zealand after October 2019. Check out this website for details.  https://www.etanewzealand.com/

My hubby and I are doing a back2back out of Brisbane in February 2020. The first 14 days is New Zealand and the next 7 days is all Australia... Great Barrier Reef ports. We have to get both ETAs but We already got the Australian one for $20 or something like that... in just a few moments online it was approved. We will be getting our New Zealand ETA application filed in July as soon as it is available.

I hope this adds clarification.