New Cuba Itineraries

galeforce9

Looks like an interesting selection of Sojourn 2019 Autumn voyages has just been released. Trips are from 11 days and include at least three Cuba stops with overnights in some.

E.g.

4-NovMiami, Florida, US

5-NovHavana (La Habana), Cuba

6-NovHavana (La Habana), Cuba

7-NovAt Sea

8-NovAntilla (Nipe Bay), Cuba

9-NovSantiago de Cuba, Cuba

10-NovSantiago de Cuba, Cuba

11-NovPort Antonio, Jamaica

12-NovWest End, Cayman Brac, Cayman Island

13-NovCienfuegos, Cuba

14-NovCienfuegos, Cuba

15-NovAt Sea

16-NovMiami, Florida, US

Are people interested?

Not sure if interested. I looked at Cuba for a holiday a couple of times before and not sure that a cruise would be preferable to a multi centre land holiday which can be arranged for much less expense

US citizens may be more interested. Can someone clarify if US citizens are now free to visit Cuba?

Hi Isklaar. Yes we are unsure too. My main interest would be in Havana. I know someone who took a two week land tour there in March and they said that they found much of the itinerary very similar, whereas they thoroughly enjoyed land tours in many other countries.

Hi Isklaar. Yes we are unsure too. My main interest would be in Havana. I know someone who took a two week land tour there in March and they said that they found much of the itinerary very similar, whereas they thoroughly enjoyed land tours in many other countries.

I think that it will hold more interest for US citizens - if they're still not allowed to visit Cuba except by special arrangement eg on a cruise such as this.

I know at least one other luxury line (Regent) had Cuba lined up, with US citizens expressing enthusiasm for the itinerary, although I'm not certain if/when the cruise will operate.

Interesting. When I originally looked at the itinerary on Quest for this year, Miami to Santiago, it included Cuba. It very quickly disappeared after release.

At least the itinerary negates the use of internal flights, which puts me off touring some countries thoroughly.

We visited Havana when NCL had their inaugural sailing to Cuba last year. We quite enjoyed it and are seriously contemplating the November 16 sailing for next year.

If we return, we will likely once again make our own shore arrangements within OFAC guidelines. I know many Americans are concerned with compliance and perhaps unwilling to undertake the steps for self-documentation. We felt like we had a much better and more immersive experience by getting away from the state-run tours that the cruiseline offered.

We visited Havana when NCL has their inaugural sailing to Cuba last year. We quite enjoyed it and are seriously contemplating the November 16 sailing for next year.

Are you able to visit Cuba freely now or are there still restrictions on travel apart from arriving on a cruise?

Are you able to visit Cuba freely now or are there still restrictions on travel apart from arriving on a cruise?

You still cannot visit Cuba freely if you are a US citizen. You just have to comply with OFAC regulations (which has been the case since the Obama administration lifted the travel restrictions).

What was eliminated by the new administration is the OFAC exception for "people-to-people" travel. You can still visit under the exception for "support of the Cuban people". This is the same exception that the cruise lines will use for their tours.

The category "support of the Cuban people" can include several types of activities including: engaging in conversations and cultural exchanges with locals, eating in privately owned Cuban restaurants, observing cultural performances (things like a Buena Vista Social Club performance or Copacabana show) or artisan demonstrations (cigar rolling, rum distilling, visual arts, etc.), taking classes (cooking, salsa dancing, etc.).

Two things to be mindful of:

1. You cannot spend any money with businesses that have ties to the military or government (which can get tricky since they own many hotels and transportation services), but it is possible to travel and only spend money with establishments run by Cuban citizens (which is allowed).

2. You need to keep records for 5 years after your return to show you met the requirements. These should include your itinerary/schedule for each day, at minimum, and if you traveled independently it is wise to keep notes on your activities.

The reason cruise travel there is popular is that it takes the guesswork out for the average travel as to whether they are complying... if they stay onboard the ship, only go on cruise line tours, and only shop where the cruise line takes them, then it is very easy to comply with the regulations. You also eliminate the risk of transportation accidents (most of the private cars from the pre-Castro era do not have seatbelts or airbags), rolling blackouts hitting your Casa Particular, or sanitation issues.

We both speak Spanish (my husband fluently, me enough to understand tour guides and get by) so it definitely helps with our comfort level traveling with just a driver or independent guide (we did both on our last trip). But there are also English-speaking private guides readily available.

The cruise line will no doubt have great expeditions for those who want a bit more guidance (or comfort) when traveling. But we were so glad we did these privately - after two days on the NCL inaugural, we talked to many other guests back on board and we saw quite a bit that they did not.

This could be of interest to some SB cruisers.

For any Cuban Americans there are restrictions traveling to Cuba on a cruise.

First, Cuban-Americans may travel to Cuba on their U.S. passport but must apply for an HE-11 visa from the Cuban Embassy. The visa requirement depends on when the person departed Cuba.

Second, and most important, all Cuban born persons whether or not they are American citizens, are subject to Cuban law and treated as such. The personal risks can be significant.

Edited by marazul

You still cannot visit Cuba freely if you are a US citizen. You just have to comply with OFAC regulations (which has been the case since the Obama administration lifted the travel restrictions).

What was eliminated by the new administration is the OFAC exception for "people-to-people" travel. You can still visit under the exception for "support of the Cuban people". This is the same exception that the cruise lines will use for their tours.

The category "support of the Cuban people" can include several types of activities including: engaging in conversations and cultural exchanges with locals, eating in privately owned Cuban restaurants, observing cultural performances (things like a Buena Vista Social Club performance or Copacabana show) or artisan demonstrations (cigar rolling, rum distilling, visual arts, etc.), taking classes (cooking, salsa dancing, etc.).

Two things to be mindful of:

1. You cannot spend any money with businesses that have ties to the military or government (which can get tricky since they own many hotels and transportation services), but it is possible to travel and only spend money with establishments run by Cuban citizens (which is allowed).

2. You need to keep records for 5 years after your return to show you met the requirements. These should include your itinerary/schedule for each day, at minimum, and if you traveled independently it is wise to keep notes on your activities.

The reason cruise travel there is popular is that it takes the guesswork out for the average travel as to whether they are complying... if they stay onboard the ship, only go on cruise line tours, and only shop where the cruise line takes them, then it is very easy to comply with the regulations. You also eliminate the risk of transportation accidents (most of the private cars from the pre-Castro era do not have seatbelts or airbags), rolling blackouts hitting your Casa Particular, or sanitation issues.

We both speak Spanish (my husband fluently, me enough to understand tour guides and get by) so it definitely helps with our comfort level traveling with just a driver or independent guide (we did both on our last trip). But there are also English-speaking private guides readily available.

The cruise line will no doubt have great expeditions for those who want a bit more guidance (or comfort) when traveling. But we were so glad we did these privately - after two days on the NCL inaugural, we talked to many other guests back on board and we saw quite a bit that they did not.

Nice summary, Jenni. Thanks! A Cuba cruise remains on our radar screens.