Confrontation

Les Picantins

We now know the f&b manager, who you should make well aware of the issues in the MDR. If nobody says anything, how can things be improved? Seabourn is not a cheap vacation, and for the food in the MDR and patio to be poor, well that is unacceptable, but we still don't know who the chef is? Thanks

Just to clarify that I did complain about the service and the food. I will give the restaurant another chance - requesting to sit in a different section, advising that I will have cheese and can they can ensure it is served at room temperature and that we prefer a slower meal.

I did not receive a list of senior officers. Or if I did where should I find it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pavovsky, good, you must always complain. If there is a particular place with issues ie if MDR is still off after you try again, food and beverage manager is your no.1 port of call. In the past we have found it particularly useful to have a word in the ear of F&B Manager as they generally seem to really care. I have no knowledge or experience with this particular guy though. I hope things improve for you.

My two cents is that effective and constructive criticism is valued on Seabourn. Last year ( on the Odyssey in fact) we used one of the comment cards in our room to raise certain problems re food and service. Clearly, these cards are read by ship management, as the Hotel Director and others spoke with us that evening, apologized, and promised that things will improve. And, happily they did improve.

Tilly is right: if one does not effectively complain--not just to the server but to the manager in charge--things will not likely improve. Original poster, I hope it gets better for you!

Tilly is right: if one does not effectively complain--not just to the server but to the manager in charge--things will not likely improve. Original poster, I hope it gets better for you!

Counterpoint: Pax paying upwards of five figures pp should not have to be guinea pigs for staff training. At this price point and expected service level the proprietor should have checks and systems in place to ensure proper food service. The idea that if pax don't complain nothing will change is simply unacceptable on a 6-star line.

Counterpoint #2: If it's up to pax to police proper food and service perhaps pax should be compensated or fares should be set accordingly.

...adding, I don't offer this casually. We experienced several incidents on our recent SB cruise that shouldn't occur in any establishment at any price level. I don't want to be a complainer and I damn well didn't pay a SB-level fares to have to be one.

...adding, I don't offer this casually. We experienced several incidents on our recent SB cruise that shouldn't occur in any establishment at any price level. I don't want to be a complainer and I damn well didn't pay a SB-level fares to have to be one.

Can you describe the incidents? Very curious, thanks.

I think this is so difficult to navigate. I was totally underwhelmed by some wait persons at the patio grill during lunch on Ovation in June. It really had to do with specific crew members there. There was also a language barrier. You hate to be the person who always complains.

Here's what I think: the cruise industry is expanding quickly. There are not enough excellent crew members to go around. I know for a fact that SB is recruiting and training all the time--and probably having to take people on who are not ideal.

For the most part senior management does seem to care. Last fall (also on the Odyssey) we were on our way to dinner one evening and an officer approached us near the spa, introduced himself as the F&B manager and asked us about our experience with the food/service on the voyage - we had made no complaints. But since he asked....

We indicated that many servers seemed willing but were often missing that mark. He replied that was a good sign as it meant they could be trained. I mentioned that there was a lack of seasoning in many dishes and that a soup at lunch in the Colonnade that day had been billed as a spicy (Thai/Mexican/Asian/can't remember provenance) and was neither spicy nor reflective of the cuisine advertised.

The next day the F&B manager and Colonnade head chef showed up at our table at lunch and asked if the soup that day had been to my liking. Embarrassingly, I had chosen to have a salad rather than soup. A woman at the next table overheard the conversation and gave her opinion on the under spiced soup of the day (acknowledging that they were cooking for a varied audience and could not make things incendiary).

That evening they had a "market" night of whatever cuisine and I made a point of sampling the soup. It was indeed delicious and reflective of the advertised cuisine. I made a point of mentioning it to our server, upon leaving the Colonnade and to the F&B manager when I passed him in the hall the following day.

Give and take on both sides usually results in improvement and satisfaction. Looking forward to joining the Quest in about five weeks and hoping for some good Canadian seafood, so we shall see....

Can you describe the incidents? Very curious, thanks.

There was the chocolate souffle incident I posted about briefly w/photo starting in post 1051 in this thread. Both the dining menu delivered the prior night to suites and the menus distributed in the MDR listed a dark chocolate souffle dessert. Our waiter took our order for two chocolate souffles and in short order brought us what turned out to be Amaretto souffles. Long story short, the explanation was that there was a printing error on the menus. Quite frankly, this was a complete breakdown at every MDR level. Why couldn't the kitchen simply produce what was on the menu with 24hrs notice? How was wait staff allowed to take orders for something the kitchen wasn't producing? Or did they really not know there was a problem until diners pointed out the error?

Dinner at the patio one evening at a port side table near the kitchen. Our orders were taken, our first course delivered and then cleared in good order. And then nothing. Our waiter had to pass by us many, many times to serve other tables further down the port side, never once acknowledging our presence - we might as well have been two of the poolside potted ferns. Finally, after about 45 minutes waiting I flagged him and my inquiry about status our entrees was met with a blank stare, followed by shuffling through order tickets with someone who appeared to be a manager. Our food appeared shortly thereafter, but no visit from the manager with apology or explanation.

Patio service in general was worst of the three venues. There were other smaller things, mostly in the Colonnade. The listed 'Waffles with fresh fruit' always came without any fruit. Service was inconsistent - and in fairness, sometimes it was very good. Once I had to ask three times to have the bread delivered to our table and it didn't arrive until after our first course had been delivered. MDR service was generally better, though occasionally subpar, and the food was mostly excellent when they delivered what was listed on the menu.

Perhaps this was fated from the start. Embarkation day, Observation Bar at sail-away, our very first drink order of the cruise - two Whiskey Sours - arrive with lime wedges over the edge. Puzzlement. First sip, 'these are horrible.' One more longer pull, something is not right. One more sip rolled on the tongue, the distinct taste of cheap tequila, well you can guess the rest.

Robisan, I very much agree will you that we should not be guinea pigs. SB are well aware years ahead of any new ships coming on line and one would expect that to keep up standards staff would be trained well ahead of this time. Again, I agree with you that if standards are going to be lacking or lower then fares should be commensurate to this. I will report back in a few weeks, rest assured if things are amiss F&B will know about it!

I have 'banged on' about this one before. No doubt at present, with so many new high class ships coming on stream, it is difficult to recruit enough potentially suitable staff. However, Seabourn need to be willing to spend the money to recruit early and train recruits ashore which would weed out the unsuitable ones in advance, and not let them on board until they have some idea of what their job entails. As it is, the remaining experienced staff are doing the training ' on the job', which is unfair on both parties. Passengers will forgive the occasional lapse by one staff member, but when this happens constantly it is not good enough.

Here's a suggestion re: the best way to train new staff: GET KARL BACK FROM VIKING!

When the triplets were being phased out for the O class ships Karl was put in charge of training new staff and he seemed to do a terrific job. Wish he were back on Seabourn.

The being said, the poster who remarked that there are many new luxury ships coming on to the market (and many more due very soon, especially expedition ships) is correct. It's hard to find that many qualified people who are willing to spend their lives at sea for awhile.

There are many good points made above. I agree--I don't go on a cruise (or go out to a local eatery) to complain. And, in a perfect world, I would never have to complain about service or food, anywhere. Yet I live in this imperfect world. So sometimes a constructive complaint is necessary. Sometimes it is well received and at other times, in some venues, criticism of any sort is poorly taken.

In my above example, if I had not filled in the comment card raising concerns, then I bet things would not have improved (which, I agree, is sad) and my holiday would not have been as pleasant as it could have been. Yet by effectively complaining, things did improve for me and my wife. By the way, in correspondence to HQ after the cruise I made the point that the complaints should not have been required.

If I had had the experiences on the patio or elsewhere as others have described, darn tooting I would find a manager and tactfully point out the issues. I would rather do so than quietly seethe (which, knowing myself, I may well have done). Small stuff I shrug off, yet consistently poor service or food not up to par, I will address. That's just me and my choice, others may prefer not to.

It is to be hoped that, if others do choose to express their concerns to SB, SB will deal with issues pro-actively, so we can all relax and enjoy the ambience for which we are paying handsomely. Yes, it should "just happen", but it seems not to be.

I look forward to others reporting of their experiences on the ships. Hoping for the best for all!

I DID report our experience with room service not picking up dishes for THREE HOURS at a time my husband was ill and wanted to go to sleep, but was unwilling to do so until the dishes left our suite.

All in all, there was excellent service on the Ovation--with a few breakdowns. I do think it is as a result of so many new crew members needed and the availability of the best recruits being affected by the number of cruise lines needing new crew members.

There are many good points made above. I agree--I don't go on a cruise (or go out to a local eatery) to complain. And, in a perfect world, I would never have to complain about service or food, anywhere. Yet I live in this imperfect world. So sometimes a constructive complaint is necessary. Sometimes it is well received and at other times, in some venues, criticism of any sort is poorly taken.

In my above example, if I had not filled in the comment card raising concerns, then I bet things would not have improved (which, I agree, is sad) and my holiday would not have been as pleasant as it could have been. Yet by effectively complaining, things did improve for me and my wife. By the way, in correspondence to HQ after the cruise I made the point that the complaints should not have been required.

If I had had the experiences on the patio or elsewhere as others have described, darn tooting I would find a manager and tactfully point out the issues. I would rather do so than quietly seethe (which, knowing myself, I may well have done). Small stuff I shrug off, yet consistently poor service or food not up to par, I will address. That's just me and my choice, others may prefer not to.

It is to be hoped that, if others do choose to express their concerns to SB, SB will deal with issues pro-actively, so we can all relax and enjoy the ambience for which we are paying handsomely. Yes, it should "just happen", but it seems not to be.

I look forward to others reporting of their experiences on the ships. Hoping for the best for all!

We will be having a long conversation with the guest relations manager today on a variety of different issues. Disorganised, discourteous and well below reasonable expectations.

It should be happening and no one wants to have to chase down a manager or have any conflict - we have even contemplated whether we will have a nicer holiday just getting off the ship on one of the nice islands.

Edited by Pavovsky

We will be having a long conversation with the guest relations manager today on a variety of different issues. Disorganised, discourteous and well below reasonable expectations.

It should be happening and no one wants to have to chase down a manager or have any conflict - we have even contemplated whether we will have a nicer holiday just getting off the ship on one of the nice islands.

Not good to read this.

I always hope that new SB cruisers have a wonderful experience. I am disappointed for you. Disorganised I can just about handle and excuse. There is never any excuse for discourteous!

Let us know how it goes.

Out of interest, when an apology from his supervisor was given, was any explanation forthcoming?

I am neither condoning his behaviour nor defending him as only one side of the story - and there are two - has been given, so to name and shame him on a public forum is in my opinion unfair.

If his conduct was proven to be unacceptable or unprofessional then fair enough but at the moment it seems as if he is being treated as guilty until proven innocent.

I am not a loony left wing liberal and I detest unprofessionalism but to put things into perspective I have seen one ships officer sacked on the spot for one incident and another confined to quarters. He would have been sacked on the spot but there was a shortage of Certificates on board had he left so he was confined to his cabin and dismissed at the next port of call when a replacement had been found. Two careers gone.

Sorry to go against the grain but .....

Sent from the magic box!

MBP,

I *am* a "loony left-wing liberal", and fail to see what that has to do with a post about a dining issue. Believe it or not, some of us are educated, well traveled and quite sane. I know that must be hard for such a stable genius to believe, but it is true. That being said, the server's actions and attitude were certainly not what I would expect from any server, luxury cruise or not.

Kathryn

MBP,

I *am* a "loony left-wing liberal", and fail to see what that has to do with a post about a dining issue. Believe it or not, some of us are educated, well traveled and quite sane. I know that must be hard for such a stable genius to believe, but it is true. That being said, the server's actions and attitude were certainly not what I would expect from any server, luxury cruise or not.

Kathryn

It's fine with us. We are left wing liberals. That comment was not appropriate by the other poster.

Can I ask, what is main nationality Food and Beverage staff on Seabourn?

Multinational. Unlike some cruise lines that recruit heavily from one or two countries, Seabourn typically has 30+ nationalities represented among the customer-facing staff. We find that the majority are from Eastern Europe, South Africa, and South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile).

Pretty much everyone in a customer-facing position is either a graduate of a hospitality program (university or vocational) and/or has several years of experience on land.