Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

On board the first Antarctica cruise of the season now. Currently heading towards the Falkland Islands on the first full sea day; left Montevideo yesterday at 2pm.

The weather has been set fair since leaving Buenos Aires, with clear skies in Montevideo and a temperature of around 75F. Today the temperature has varied around 60F but is heading south like we are!

The parka is great quality, as was the Alaska parka. There’s a nice little rucksack, a penguin beanie, a small Antarctica book and today a laminated wildlife leaflet arrived. The boots appeared on our bed today but we’ve yet to try them for size. There seemed to be much swapping of parkas at the exchange today but we knew they ran big so ours were ok.

Today there was a good talk from the excursions team about what to expect in the Falklands, with the Antarctica kayaks, Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. This included decent information for doing it yourself too. Unfortunately we left only to hear the Captain’s announcement at midday where he said the chances of stopping in Stanley are now looking unlikely due to some forecast gales in the area. This is really disappointing but we know to be flexible and open minded about this. Hopefully seabourn will do everything they can to make this scheduled stop keeping the safety of everyone in mind.

On a brighter note, chef Jes is proving to be a star in the kitchen, as we fully expected from our previous cruises with him.

That’s all for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to see you are posting about your trip. We did an expedition cruise about 10 years ago and it was fabulous. We also when to Antarctica on the Regent Mariner as part of their 2011 Circle South America cruise. We almost made it to the Falklands on that one. The ship had anchored and let down a tender and then the stop was called off as the weather started to go south big time! Hope you get a better break!

This cruise is one like Alaska...we could do it over and over! Can't wait to read about your experiences!

Carolytn

Looking forward to your continued reports. Thanks for taking the time to post! This cruise is on our list of must dos in the future. Enjoy your cruise.

Also think that RallyDave is on board but have not heard from him yet?? If you are reading this it would be great to hear your thoughts since I know you have previously cruised Regent (yes I know Regent doesn’t do Antarctica) but would like to hear thoughts on how to 2 lines compare in general.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

......If you are reading this it would be great to hear your thoughts since I know you have previously cruised Regent (yes I know Regent doesn’t do Antarctica) but would like to hear thoughts on how to 2 lines compare in general.

Don't think this was directed at my post. But we do cruise both Regent and Seabourn. We were on Seabourn in Sept on the last Alaska cruise of the season and will board the Regent Navigator on Jan 8 for her World Cruise.

We like them both, but think Seabourn edges out Regent by a little, especially the cabin arrangement and food. Service is great on both lines.

We like ships with less than 500 passengers. Seabourn has 3, Regent has 1.

Regent is generally more expensive due to the included excursions. Normally we don't care for ship tours, but on long cruises like the 71 day Circle SA (use to include Antarctic) and a 137 day World Cruise, we like the fact that, if we want, the port day activities are already planned and included in the price.

For places like the Med or shorter cruises, the included tours offer no real advantage for us as the ports are easy to do on our own.

Regent's included air and hotel night is usually a bonus.

Bottom line, we carefully compare a interesting itinerary on both lines and go with the best price.

I am eager to hear about galeforce's Antarctic cruise because this is one we would love to do....again!

Carolyn

Hi galeforce9,

Hopefully will be following you along on this trip has this is one we would like to do and Alaska , hope you get to see lots of wild life and weather not to bad for you , can you take your own boots to wear or do you have to wear theirs , look forward to the rest of your review. Sandra

That's a good report! My husband has said he does not want to go to Antarctica. I look forward to seeing your full report in hopes of changing his mind.

SLSD my wife hates the cold, I had a hard time conviincing her to come on Quest's first cruise of the second season (Dec. 2014). She absolutely loved it, there is not one photo of her on that cruise where she isn't smiling. After 18 cruises with Seabourn she still refers to it as our best cruise ever :)

Hi galeforce9,

can you take your own boots to wear or do you have to wear theirs.Sandra

Sandra, I took my sons snow boots with me on our Antarctic cruise, the Expedition Team suggested that I NOT wear them ashore as "your son will never forgive you, as he will never be able to get the smell of the penguin poo out of them".

So I wore the (very comfortable) hired boots instead.

Heard from Rally Dave a few weeks back and dave said this SB cruise was the their best yet. He mentioned they already planned to book another SB cruise on board. Dave has sailed Regent, Azamara and done a HAL World cruise so his conclusion is noteworthy.

We board on Dec. 20 when you disembark. I’m very curious as to the temperatures pre- and post-Antarctica. I have my Antarctica clothing figured out but haven’t thought about the other ~18 days! Plus we’re going to Iguazú Falls afterwards.

I’m also wondering if there is an unlimited WiFi plan and what it costs.

Edited by LadyVol1

Hello all. Thanks for all your positive comments so far. I’ll try and update you all as far as time and my meagre internet package allows!

Today is a lovely sunny day. The tv says 7 degrees Celsius but it feels warmer. Light winds, sheltered decks and calm seas. We sat and had a pre lunch drink outside with bare arms (husband) and legs (me). Some people are dining at the patio grill but we headed down to the main restaurant and had more fantastic food on a Russian /Baltic theme.

To look at some passengers you would think it’s already freezing. Wrapped up in full length furs (2), many in woollen hats and full parka ensemble already! There’s really no place to go when it gets really cold! As my mother used to say, “you won’t feel the benefit”

The captain is bjarne Larsson (forgive my spelling). He’s danish and is very young but also very experienced so we are in good hands! We are off for a bridge visit this afternoon, which will be a nice experience whilst at sea. We just signed up when it appeared in today’s newspaper last night.

We’ve taken the plunge and purchased kayak tickets for Antarctica day 3. We appreciate there is only a slim chance of getting the opportunity.

Last night another lovely surprise awaited us in our cabin. There was a hardback book by the British Antarctic survey published by the national history museum, with many facts and pictures on the Antarctic peninsula. There was also some binoculars to borrow whilst on board.

Now to the boots. We pre hired as we didn’t want to cart them half way around the world. They arrived, were the correct size for wearing some thick socks (order up) and we deposited them in the boot lockers by the club deck 5 at the allotted time today. There’s one locker per cabin. Now, with regards to penguin poo and the stories.... we’ve been and stayed in the Falklands on two occasions. Penguins do smell but you grow to love it and it’s part of the experience. All the clothes I’ve worn on past visits, which included sleeping in a shipping container at the neck on Saunders island for three nights (right above a penguincrowded beach) and above the beach on sea lion island for as many days, i still have. They don’t smell. Penguin poo washes off!! The boots look to be a neoprene type upper with plastic foot and sole with a good grip

Re the internet package. Full cruise unlimited use is $399. I e opted for four hours to start with at $40 but will need more. The speed is generally ok for quick e mail and message updates but best to have stuff ready then log on, log off. Rubbish for pictures so that’s why there’s none so far.

The captain today at lunch said he’s going to do his best to get in Stanley and that’s all we can ask. The forecast is for high winds but I think they’re due to drop during the morning so we’ll see. We should be getting there around 6. At least we are still headed in the right direction and we haven’t given up yet.

Update - just had bridge tour. Captain said sea will now be rough to very rough tonight so they are picking up speed to allow them to reduce it through the worst.

That’s all for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi galeforce, I am keeping everything crossed you manage to get into Stanley. Having sailed with Captain Larsson I know he will do his utmost to achieve this as long as it is safe to do so.

I hope your brother and the rest of you manage to get lots of amazing photos. The ones you shared from Alaska were wonderful.

I am glad Chef Jes is onboard and giving you lots of great food. Since I know you were disappointed you missed him on your previous cruise.

Enjoy your cruise, Julie

Hello galeforce9 - I'm following you with great interest and I'm getting on when you get off in Santiago. Here's hoping you make Stanley and also hoping you won't need to re-name yourself galeforce10!

Edited by Fletcher

Oh Fletcher that is a good one!

But yes Gayleforce I also have my fingers and “toers ” crossed that you make your landing in Stanley. And thank you for keeping us updated with your cruise. Oh you are bring back memories from our cruise just over a year ago. And to have Jes, what a bonus! Speaking of crew - you mentioned Larsen, who is your second Captain and is Iggy your expedition leader?

Hi SKP946

Thanks for replying to my question when I think about it they would take up a lot of room in the suite case and as you mentioned the penguin poo smell I shall be using theirs , it will be great also to hear what expeditions are best if that's aloud ,were looking to book one for 2020 for special occasion .Thanks all , Sandra

Looking forward to your continued reports. Thanks for taking the time to post! This cruise is on our list of must dos in the future. Enjoy your cruise.

Also think that RallyDave is on board but have not heard from him yet?? If you are reading this it would be great to hear your thoughts since I know you have previously cruised Regent (yes I know Regent doesn’t do Antarctica) but would like to hear thoughts on how to 2 lines compare in general.

Reporting for duty Sunprince. Just heading out from Stanley Falklands. Weather turned out great and we had a wonderful day at Volunteer Point with literally thousands of Penguins including Kings,

Absolutely wonderful to cruise with Seabourn. No comparison with Regent, heads and shoulders better. Regent firmly on our never cruise list. Food and staff wonderful, no cold meals and the menus have been absolutely wonderful the past 4 weeks now. Have another Seabourn booked for next year and buying a future cruise certificate since only early 2019 available now.

Hard to describe how much better Seabourn is than Regent. Staff well trained and plentiful/ More later, rocking and rolling as we head for Antarctica at max speed with weather expeced to be good in the Drake Passage. First of 6 stops in Antarctica Tuesday. More later.

Forgot to mention entertainment which has been great beyond belief. Really good shows almost every nite and sometimes pre dinner and jpost dinner. On our 4th group of entertainers with at least one more after Antarctica. And the 4 singers have been beyond belief. It doesn't get any better!!!!

Edited by rallydave