Has anyone else missed fjordland in nz?????

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

Going back for a second crack on the solstice to nz in late March/April to hopefully see Dunedin and the sounds. Missed it all this February due to adverse weather conditions.

This will be another attempt to see these missed ports/places.

Has anyone experienced missing them twice and does early April weather wise give us a reasonable chance . I know we can't predict the weather but has anyone got similar experience.

CHEERS Bob.:)

Hi fellow cruisers.

Going back for a second crack on the solstice to nz in late March/April to hopefully see Dunedin and the sounds. Missed it all this February due to adverse weather conditions.

This will be another attempt to see these missed ports/places.

Has anyone experienced missing them twice and does early April weather wise give us a reasonable chance . I know we can't predict the weather but has anyone got similar experience.

CHEERS Bob.:)

Missing the sounds isn’t uncommon. We must have been lucky, got in first try.

I don’t think there is any rhyme nor reason as to when is better.

We are contemplating a cruise as part of our trip to NZ in 2019--haven't decided for sure on the cruise part. However, if we did book a cruise, I would definitely be annoyed at missing the fjords, as that would be our main reason for taking the cruise in the first place. Can anyone fill me in on what kind of weather prevents ships from sailing there and what do they do instead? Also, has anyone ever booked a smaller boat cruise in the fjords, booked through some of the smaller boat companies out of NZ? Is there better luck that way?

There is so much more to see in New Zealand than the Sounds where you might spend a couple of hours each weather permitting. If it is foggy or rainy you won't have a great experience. It is a long trip if you are from the US or Europe just to spend a few hours in the Sounds from a cruise ship if that is your main reason for going. You should go for the overall experience so you won't be disappointed if you miss the Sounds. Take it from me who did miss the Sounds. We still had a great trip! Or go land-only and get a tour guide to take you through the Sounds on a nice weather day.

We are contemplating a cruise as part of our trip to NZ in 2019--haven't decided for sure on the cruise part. However, if we did book a cruise, I would definitely be annoyed at missing the fjords, as that would be our main reason for taking the cruise in the first place. Can anyone fill me in on what kind of weather prevents ships from sailing there and what do they do instead? Also, has anyone ever booked a smaller boat cruise in the fjords, booked through some of the smaller boat companies out of NZ? Is there better luck that way?

We were on the Diamond Princess this past March. We missed Doubtful but sailed through Milford. The seas were really rough. The weather was windy and rainy. I’d think you’d have less of a chance going through on a smaller boat as they’re not as able to handle the elements. The cruise of NZ was pretty amazing in spite of missing one of the sounds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Done two NZ cruises both in early Dec. The first one we travelled through all 3 of the southern sounds. Weather was all over the place at the time in the sounds. Sun, rain, hail, wind, sun, calm. Was a great experience and Milford was the standout especially as there was still a fair amount of snow on the peaks. Second cruise to NZ we missed the sounds and instead overnighted in Dunedin. That was ok but disappointed to have missed Milford sound. However we were lucky to get a beautiful afternoon as we left Picton (Marlborough sound) which is quit pretty also.

• 3 months later...

We've been lucky on two Solstice cruises, hopefully we'll be lucky again in March/April.

It's not necessarily the weather though, it's the sea conditions. The lower part of the South Island gets some nasty stuff coming up from the south.

Kawagama, we did an overnight "cruise" on Milford Sound some years ago with Real Journeys. It was great. We had perfect Milford Sound weather - raining buckets the day we drove there so the waterfalls were magnificent, then blue skies the next morning. Apparently that only happens about six times a year though. Doing that sort of trip you only see Milford Sound which, although spectacular, isn't as pristine and remote as the other two sounds.

We did the crossing from Sydney to New Zealand this past Feb and were supposed to have some scenic cruising in Fjordland but couldn't as the crossing was so rough that the captain had to slow the ship down and we were twelve hours behind schedule and had to bypass Milford Sound. A lot of disappointed passengers but Mother Nature wins every time.

Barb:(:(