Seabourn and Pritikin diet

During the last few years on our way to accumulating 100 days on Seabourn I have watched my a1c numbers spike after each long Seabourn cruise (20-32 day avg). Consequently, once at home, I follow a somewhat rigorous veggie diet and am able to lower my a1c numbers considerably. The end result is bouncing from pre-diabetes when I am home to full blown type 2 diabetes while onboard. I realize that I succumb to most all of the gastronomic temptations and that is the primary reason for the rise in numbers. In an effort to get back to “normal” a1c numbers I have booked 2 weeks at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami following our upcoming 24 day Seabourn cruise. They have amazing success with their diet and exercise program even getting people off their BP and Type 2 diabetes meds. Therefore I would like to better manage my eating on board so my question is “has anyone ever tried to get a Pritikin Meal Plan on Seabourn”? My Pritikin advisor says she has other clients on Seabourn that have been able to do this? If so I wonder how they go about it? I am listed this trip as low sodium and diabetic and will meet with one of the Chefs(?) on board supposedly. I searched this forum for “Pritikin” but found nothing. I can’t imagine going on a Seabourn cruise and eating so healthy that my numbers do not go up. lol

While Seabourn will try to accommodate a specific diet regime, it’s not realistic to expect a busy kitchen to either understand or offer exactly what you want. I too have to keep an eye on my blood glucose level and while cruising I try to avoid carbs like our old friends bread, rice, pasta, potato and anything obviously packed with sugar and it seems to work OK.

Just boarded the Quest and met with the maitre d and he advised they are very prepared as to low salt and fat meals. He said we will meet with the night before to plan my meals. I asked where he wanted to meet and he said he would find me and not to worry. He also said he will be happy to take care of my food needs. Ahhhh Seabourn ... like no other cruise line. If there is any interest I would be happy to share my first time “diabetic” experience onboard Seabourn.

Just boarded the Quest and met with the maitre d and he advised they are very prepared as to low salt and fat meals. He said we will meet with the night before to plan my meals. I asked where he wanted to meet and he said he would find me and not to worry. He also said he will be happy to take care of my food needs. Ahhhh Seabourn ... like no other cruise line. If there is any interest I would be happy to share my first time “diabetic” experience onboard Seabourn.

As someone who has dealt with diabetes for nearly 20 years, and has undertaken considerable research I can assure you that “low salt and fat” meals will have zero impact on your A1C readings. Salt and/or fat intake does not affect blood glucose.

As someone who has dealt with diabetes for nearly 20 years, and has undertaken considerable research I can assure you that “low salt and fat” meals will have zero impact on your A1C readings. Salt and/or fat intake does not affect blood glucose.

I know just trying to limit weight gain. So far so good on my glucose levels by staying away from sweets, pastry and breads. Just had a great Dover Sole and heirloom tomato salad skipping desert. BTW this may be the stupidest thread ever started in the history of CC.

I know just trying to limit weight gain. So far so good on my glucose levels by staying away from sweets, pastry and breads. Just had a great Dover Sole and heirloom tomato salad skipping desert. BTW this may be the stupidest thread ever started in the history of CC.

I actually first thought this thread was spam, started to plug a certain diet and Miami clinic...

I actually first thought this thread was spam, started to plug a certain diet and Miami clinic...

No ... I was told several people who attend the center have kept their weight and a1c in check while on board and thought maybe it was true. Obviously not. Sorry for the thread as I was misled about “Seabourn cruisers” being in their program. Just a little embarrassed if that was how it came across when the real purpose was how to stay healthy and still enjoy acruise. lol

I think this is a very good thread. I still remember the "spa menu" on a Silversea cruise years ago. I gained NO weight on that cruise! I would love an ultra healthy menu on Seabourn.

I think this is a very good thread. I still remember the "spa menu" on a Silversea cruise years ago. I gained NO weight on that cruise! I would love an ultra healthy menu on Seabourn.

Thanks, l am working on gaining NO weight on this 24 day cruise and enjoying my cruise as well. So far so good as my glucose numbers are remaining under control even after dining at Thomas Keller tonight.

Thanks, l am working on gaining NO weight on this 24 day cruise and enjoying my cruise as well. So far so good as my glucose numbers are remaining under control even after dining at Thomas Keller tonight.

I have to ask, what did you eat at TK which didn't add mass? I want that menu.

Well, until you have experienced health issues related to diet, the topic is very funny. Once you have, it gets serious. There is room for all. I encourage the original poster to keep on working on their diet. And I appreciate the information that they are sharing. Thank you.

I have to ask, what did you eat at TK which didn't add mass? I want that menu.

OP did not refer to mass, rather to blood glucose which is measured by A1C. Much of the TK offering is fine Caesar salad with dressing, cheese and anchovies, Nigerian shrimps, consommé, steaks, Dover sole, etc.

Need to avoid totally the bread and desserts which spike blood sugars and any sauces and creams where you cannot be certain there is no sugar incorporated.

Forget the rubbish talked about butter and full fat cream - they are absolutely fine; as is alcohol!

I fully understand staying away from sweets, pastry and breads to help with glucose levels. That makes complete sense.

What I'm curious about, is that Pritikin is known to be a low fat diet. Can you tell me if the chef in TK did a good job with the sole dish on the menu which is Sole Meunière, given that dish is cooked in butter, as butter is off limits for the Pritikin diet?

I may have misunderstood your posts and the Dover Sole you refer to may have been eaten elsewhere,therefore prepared in line with the Pritikin Diet, and may not have actually been sole meuniėre but the way I'm reading your posts, it does seem that it was eaten in TK.

Curious to know how much flexibility the chefs in there have when it comes to cooking items differently than Mr K would have specified!

Is the 7-layer Chocolate cake at TK allowed?

Not sure I could live without that.

You can do what my husband does when having to closely watch his A1C levels... convince your dining companion to order it (while you do a cheese plate) and then steal a tiny bite when they aren't looking. :cool:

I'm also following this thread and taking notes. Our goal is to return home from our month-long honeymoon (which includes 22 nights on Seabourn) without any negative ramifications to health. My DH will take his BS readings every day but its really A1C that we want to watch when he returns.

The best advice I can give is make friends with the gym, use the stairs and do plenty of walking when ashore.

This year I’ve lost 21kg, a bit over 45 lbs and brought myself back into a normal BMI. For me it has been cycling and I managed to keep up my regime on a fitness bike whilst at sea.

Rather than seek out special meals I work the menu and the Colonnade provides a wealth of healthy eating opportunity.

By burning lots of calories any improvement in diet is amplified greatly. Getting ready for a 100km - 60 mile ride with a bit of climbing at the weekend :)

Congratulaitons to you Able Seaman--your regimen is to be admired. I agree that healthy food can be found in the buffet at the Colonnade, but I do wish that there was a special menu in the MDR to make it easy. THAT would make me happy!

First of all thank you for your replies as I was beginning to think all I was going to get was sarcasm and ridicule for trying to eat healthy on a cruise and see if anyone had any success without ruining there cruise. Hence the reference to “worst post”. I am no longer trying to not gain weight and have given up on following Pritikin because until I go there I really would not know much other than what I read. Besides I am going there after this cruise so plenty of time then to lose weight gained on board. Instead I am taking BG (blood glucose) reading about 4 times a day and so far so good. We will be getting off the ship the day after tomorrow and doing some hiking so that should help getting some exercise in the meantime planning on using the treadmill and rowing machine. So far staying away from pastry but that bread basket has some multi grain in it so I am seeing what effect it has on BG and so far so good.

So far today had breakfast at the Square. Coffee with milk, muesli, strawberry smoothie and a bran muffin. Lunch at the patio was Caesar salad and uh-oh pizza. Dinner in the restaurant caviar, red lettuce salad and lobster tail followed by berries and whipped cream for desert. Don’t feel denied and BG doing good. Maybe it is possible to keep things under control and still enjoy meals on board. However, have not heard from the Matre d regarding any special meals so am “winging it”.

I fully understand staying away from sweets, pastry and breads to help with glucose levels. That makes complete sense.

What I'm curious about, is that Pritikin is known to be a low fat diet. Can you tell me if the chef in TK did a good job with the sole dish on the menu which is Sole Meunière, given that dish is cooked in butter, as butter is off limits for the Pritikin diet?

I may have misunderstood your posts and the Dover Sole you refer to may have been eaten elsewhere,therefore prepared in line with the Pritikin Diet, and may not have actually been sole meuniėre but the way I'm reading your posts, it does seem that it was eaten in TK.

Curious to know how much flexibility the chefs in there have when it comes to cooking items differently than Mr K would have specified!

You are absolutely correct as any changes to the menu would be defeating the purpose of the cuisine served. As stated I think the gal at Pritikin sold me some BS about getting Pritikin meals on board so I have abandoned that idea. Now I am just trying to keep my blood glucose numbers in line so I don’t raise my a1c by the end of the cruise like I have so many times before. BTW This is our 5th Seabourn cruise and I would rather not give them up because of health reasons. I really envy people who can eat and drink anything they want without harming their health but I am not one of them. I have however learned how to eat healthy, exercise and use a limited amount of meds to achieve pre-diabetes levels before going on a cruise. The challenge this cruise Is trying to keep those levels while on the ship. The Pritikin thing is now a whole other ball game I will address after the cruise.