DIsembarking in Seward - Help needed from those who have sailed Sojourn Northbound

envirochick

Hello,

Can anyone who has sailed Sojourn nothbound and disembarked in Seward tell me what time disembarking is generally allowed?

The itinerary states we disembark at 7:00 am, yet when I called Seabourn they told me not to expect to leave the ship until 8:30 am due to customs boarding. This just doesn't sound right to me.

We disembarked around 8:30 or 9, but we were on the shuttle buses to the airport. There were shuttles to the airport and to the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage. We picked up a car rental at the airport, it was cheaper than renting in Seward and later returning it at the airport.

Thanks for the information. Were others leaving the ship before you? We have a driver picking us up to catch a small plane on the other side of the Kenai, spending a couple of days at a remote lodge after the cruise. I've never seen actual disemarkation be hours after a posted disembark (unless something unusual ocurred).

Are you sure that you are not seeing an arrival time and assuming it is a disembarkation time? I've not cruised in Alaska, but know that on our cruises, the ship may arrive at the disembarkation port at 7am with the actual disembarkation not starting for an hour to an hour and a half later.

Here's what I see on the SB website---a 7am arrival in Seward:

DAY 11:

September 11, 2018 Arrives 07:00 AMSeward (Anchorage), Alaska, US

\

That's true. That is what it says. I was thinking disembark wouldn't be long afterward. Now I need to ponder what to do about this...even the lodge was certain we'd be off at 7 (based on past experience, perhaps with other cruise lines?).

While we have not taken an Alaskan cruise (yet), on all of our previous cruises, the actual disembarkation time has varied. This is due to several things--one of them being various port technicalities. On our last cruise (disembarking in Stockholm), there was a delay in disembarking due to a malfunction of the apparatus taking the luggage off of the ship! I think you have to assume that the actual disembarkation COULD be as late as 9:30am. Meanwhile, you can relax on the ship, having a leisurely breakfast and saying your goodbyes to your new friends.

envirochick -

go to the website to "book your excursions" and see at what time they offer the day of disembarkation excursions and extended trips. The Denali excursion will be there.

Only one excursion listed: Kenai Fjords. It is a 9 am excursion. I’m going to call the vendor today and attempt to reschedule for the following morning. That seems to be my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call Seabourn first and ask at what time the Denali post cruise extension is scheduled to leave.

We did say goodbye to some people the night before because they were leaving "early" on that Denali extension.

Thanks for that advice, marazul. I will calm them this morning.

Tides are an issue on this itinerary. Today we couldn't doc before 8am because of tides and as I write this at 8:50am only early birds + 1 group have been called to disembark.

... and 2nd group just called.

Which port are you in currently?

When we disembarked in Seward last year, Seabourn was working hard to keep everyone moving along. With Anchorage a significant distance away and many guests taking flights on the same day, there were definitely many passengers that needed to get off quickly and onward to the airport.

We were told that the most significant delay there is getting all of the luggage off and passengers through the terminal. It seemed like one of the typical US ports where how quickly things move depend on how many other ships come in that morning. We seem to have stayed close to on time though and took the Kenai Fjords tour/transfer booked through Seabourn.

It is, or at least was last year, a port where they have planned crew changeovers. Having the privilege to observe a manifest/crew change over with US immigration last year (for a much larger ship), its definitely a point of stress because for the US, they can't allow the new crew to come on and get to work until they've disembarked every passenger, cleared every crew member staying on board, and cleared off all of the departing crew members. Its something they want to get done quickly and so getting passengers cleared out is a priority.

I have just sent a note to our lodge asking if we can bump back one day. We were so looking forward to this part of the trip, so we’ll see what we come up with. Truly wish I wouldn’t have misconstrued arrival time for disembark time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry should have mentioned - Vancouver.

Wow. I wouldn’t think tides would be an issue in Vancouver. Interesting.

Robisan, I have to ask, what is your dinner attire on this cruise? I saw some of your posts on the dress code thread, so I’m wondering.

Wow. I wouldn’t think tides would be an issue in Vancouver. Interesting.

Robisan, I have to ask, what is your dinner attire on this cruise? I saw some of your posts on the dress code thread, so I’m wondering.

Dress shirt & slacks mostly, polo occasionally in Colonnade or Patio. MDR hued pretty closely to the code, though some shirts weren't strictly dress shirts. Col/Patio was more relaxed but still 50%+ were within code. Honestly, nobody cared what others were wearing.

... Adding, interestingly there was much wider variation in women's dress, from quite formal to IMO (and DW's) very casual.

Dress shirt & slacks mostly, polo occasionally in Colonnade or Patio. MDR hued pretty closely to the code, though some shirts weren't strictly dress shirts. Col/Patio was more relaxed but still 50%+ were within code. Honestly, nobody cared what others were wearing.

... Adding, interestingly there was much wider variation in women's dress, from quite formal to IMO (and DW's) very casual.

Thanks for the info. I understand re: ladies. I’m usually dressed beyond casual on casual nights, but I don’t do much more than that on formal nights either. I don’t attend galas any longer and have no real formal attire to speak of. More power to those who do and enjoy wearing it.

Surprised the patio was even comfortable considering the temps. All very good to know. Much thanks.

I have found an easy way to dress for some formal nights---a simple black dress with a scarf with some sparkly metallic threads. Works for me! AND, I felt comfortable even with those in formal gowns. However, I'm contemplating taking my favorite black tie dress next time--which will require pressing.