help choosing a cruise

I am new to this board and my husband and I have never been on a cruise, so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions! :confused:

We would like to go on a 5-7 day cruise in the caribbean next winter (sometime in late Dec thru early March). My husband is an avid golfer (with a 3 handicap) and would like to spend a lot of time golfing challenging courses while visiting the various islands. Typically when we are on vacation, I visit the spa while he is golfing and usually get 3-4 spa treatments. We are in our late 30's-early 40's and don't have kids, so we'd prefer a ship that isn't crawling with kids; definitely one with an "adults-only" pool area. Additionally, we are way past the party stage and don't drink at all so we are not looking for a party ship either. I'd like a decent gym as I plan to work out every day. We usually stay at 4 star resorts when we travel, but we're not looking for anything super-fancy. We're definitely not "foodies" and aren't looking for gourmet food. We will be celebrating our anniversary, so maybe a ship suited to honeymooners is an option. As far as cost goes, we're looking to spend around $3000-$4000 (including golf, spa and airfare), of course if we can get a deal, that's always a plus!

Finally, how far in advance should we book our cruise? Will I get better pricing if I book now versus waiting? Is it better to go through a travel agent or should I do it all on my own? Is online the best way to go (hotwire, expedia, etc) or should I go directly through the cruise line?

We haven't started doing any research yet - hopefully you can steer us in the right direction.

Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

There are soooo many options as far a ships go that will meet all your needs for your trip and depending on where you want to go, some fabulous golfing to be had!

As a travel agent, I would definitely recommend booking the cruise portion as early as possible, as many cruise lines offer discounted early saving rates. And since this is your first cruie, I suggest using a travel agent so that you do not have to spend soooo much time researching and taking the chance on an online booking engine...plus you will have the personal contact to help answer your questions and make special arrangements for you.

Tomorrow I leave for my 11th cruise.... I am 26 years old and ABSOLUTELY LOVE cruising....just one warning...you may get addicted!!! Let me kow if you ahve any questions; you can email me at mandym111@hotmail.com

Welcome to cruising Big Daddy's girl...like the other poster says...be careful...it is addictive!!

We're a couple in our early-mid 30's who are very active and don't have kids either so I can really relate. As far as the Caribbean goes...for golf I would say stick with a W. Caribbean cruise...my husband golfed in Grand Cayman and Jamaica and really enjoyed himself. Not so sure about St. Thomas/St. Maarten for an E. Caribbean. I've also been told that golfing in Bermuda is AMAZING...but I woudn't go there in the winter time because their weather isn't very nice then. That is definitely a spring/summer port (IMO).

I've been subjected to Disney...definitely not for you!! I can say that the Royal Caribbean cruise (Navigator of the Seas) we went on was very nice...lots of adult activities..and depending on the time of year you go (when kids are in school) you won't have to deal with them too much. However, I can tell you that eventhough there was an adult only pool they didn't do a very good job at keeping it adult only. The gym and spa were very nice on this ship...so I think that would be an appeal for you.

Carnival...don't waste your time...definitely not the crowd or atmosphere you're looking for.

We're doing NCL to Hawaii next February (7 day) and I've heard good things about that cruise line...as long as you're okay with freestyle cruising, but since you've never cruised before it probably wouldn't make a big deal to you.

If I were you...I'd definitely look into Celebrity...I've heard amazing things about them, the ships, etc. They may be slightly more expensive than some of the other cruise lines, but I've heard very good things. We're looking at a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity May 2011 (yes..I'm a planner) :-)

I hope that helps a little bit...and like the other poster...if you have any questions you'd like to ask of me in more detail don't hesitate to write...my email is tonianicole25@yahoo.com

Good luck planning!! You'll have an amazing time

Here is a link to NCL and an example of some specials. The use of a TA is good but make sure the TA is working with your best interest and knows the industry. We use a local TA that ONLY books cruises since they have special status with the cruise lines when it comes to perks given the agency's status.

Do not do Disney or Carnival given your requirements. Do buy trip and medical insurance and read/ask about issues like what if you miss a flight, missing golf clubs, etc.

Do stick with W. Carribbean for golf and go on-line to check out your ports and the available golf courses in those ports and the rules for booking tee times.

Do use the on-line registration with the cruise line to avoid having to fill out forms at the pier when you embark.

Do book as early as possible since your deposit is fully refundable until you have to pay the full amount about 2-3 months before depending on cruise lines.

Do look at the cruise air and cruise insurance for comparison with what your TA can offer. Be careful to ask the TA in cruise insurance needs to be bought at time of purchase.

Do go on-line and look a the deck layout and cabin layout. You do no want to be on a deck below the activities deck or food areas etc. Noise from them at night from the cleaning staff moving stuff etc.

http://leisure.southwest.travelpn.com/RealDeals/Details/0,2941,SWA_CRU_3170,00.html

Hope this helps. If you want more info e-mail me dboshman@live.ca.

Archived