Dress Code

eliana

Napria - I imagine a large part of the silent majority agrees with you - as stated above it tends to be the vocal minority trying to make issues. I mean honestly, does a jacket take that much room in a suitcase? (Ironically it is called a SUITcase). I wish SS was more strict as I would prefer jackets required in all public venues, but now the flaming will really start :cool:. (Those of us in Houston are thinking of y'all in that area with Irma)

• 2 weeks later...

So I am new to luxury cruising, (will be going on my first next June) and have a question regarding dress code. I read earlier in this thread that someone was made to put on a sport coat while in a bar on board, so does dress code need to be followed even if not in the main dining room? I know there are venues where dress code is more relaxed, so I'm just curious as to how that works exactly. If we choose to stay in our room for dinner, but wish to venture out later, would we be expected to be dressed in accordance with the dress code for the night? We are fairly young for luxury cruising I've been told, (I'm 28, he's 34) and we definitely don't want to "offend" or upset any more seasoned cruisers. Don't want any of those "these stinkin' millennials" looks :)

I can understand why people prefer not to bring formal dress on a cruise. What I don't understand, considering that there are alternatives to the MDR (which is the only venue where Formal is expected), are those that recognise that a dress code is in place but try to circumvent or even ignore it. This is really just plain rude to those that enjoy the formality. On any cruise fewer than 20% of the nights are designated formal. Is it really too much to ask, if you wish to ignore the formal dress, to go to one of the other venues on those nights? Is it? Is it really?

It is not all inappropriate to expect people who wish not to dress formally to expect them to use a dining alternative that does not require formal dress. It is rude of people who do not want to dress formally to try to visit a venue that requires formal dress. There are alternatives. We elect to make reservations in the Grill for formal nights. That is our choice, and because it is available it is clearly acceptable to SS. We would never think of trying to visit a venue requiring formal dress without being dressed appropriately. We say shame on people who don't want to dress formally yet don't take advantage of the alternate dining venues on formal nights

So I am new to luxury cruising, (will be going on my first next June) and have a question regarding dress code. I read earlier in this thread that someone was made to put on a sport coat while in a bar on board, so does dress code need to be followed even if not in the main dining room? I know there are venues where dress code is more relaxed, so I'm just curious as to how that works exactly. If we choose to stay in our room for dinner, but wish to venture out later, would we be expected to be dressed in accordance with the dress code for the night? We are fairly young for luxury cruising I've been told, (I'm 28, he's 34) and we definitely don't want to "offend" or upset any more seasoned cruisers. Don't want any of those "these stinkin' millennials" looks :)

Easiest reply is a quote from Silversea website.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual

all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and

Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to

dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Evening Dress Code* Number of

Cruise DaysFormalInformalCasual4121513161327133814391531025311263122641327414374153841638517395183105193106203116*This information is for your guidance only and is subject to change.

• 8 months later...

Very much appreciate everyone's comments here, thank you! We are currently Seabourn travellers but a recent itinerary on Silversea caught my eye. Rather than read reviews etc. I went straight to this thread. I have no problem with formal in MDR, just avoid it, but to be ejected from a bar because I don't wear a jacket tilts the scales. Not for me.

It seems as if Seabourn are the only 'luxury' line that continues with the rather antiquated semi-formal as well as smart casual and formal (now increasingly called optional and tuxedos and long evening gowns seem endangered species).On all our recent cruises on the other three luxury line everyone, except for one or two, looked smart on all evenings in virtually every restaurant. Eating out in very good restaurants in London,

many men no longer wear jackets and ties are very rare.

Most 3 star Michelin restaurants do not “require” ties. SS certainly does seem antiquated in this regard. The dresscode just feels like too many complications considering the PAX are the ones paying the price.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
misspelling

Wow, I can't believe that this thread started in 2016 and people are still verbalizing their desire to dress formally or not. However, the post that hinted at those who do not like to drag tuxedos and long gowns along on a cruise, should consider lines such as Carnival or NCL is unfair. Since I have never cruised with those lines, nor would I ever, all I can say is that those of you who like to dress formally, please continue to do so. In the mean time, my husband and I have found two lines that we feel comfortable with and will continue to sail with --Seabourn and Regent!

This whole discussion is getting old! Really there are multiple options so people can do what works best for them. Is there really any need to make every cruise line homogeneous. I think NOT! Go with what works best for you and let everyone else do the same, please!

This whole discussion is getting old! Really there are multiple options so people can do what works best for them. Is there really any need to make every cruise line homogeneous. I think NOT! Go with what works best for you and let everyone else do the same, please!

Spot on!

Wow, I can't believe that this thread started in 2016 and people are still verbalizing their desire to dress formally or not. However, the post that hinted at those who do not like to drag tuxedos and long gowns along on a cruise, should consider lines such as Carnival or NCL is unfair. Since I have never cruised with those lines, nor would I ever, all I can say is that those of you who like to dress formally, please continue to do so. In the mean time, my husband and I have found two lines that we feel comfortable with and will continue to sail with --Seabourn and Regent!

Unfortunately, this discussion will continue ad nauseum because many people simply cannot accept that others may prefer to dress differently from them. Best thing to do is ignore these threads. Most of the people you'll meet onboard have never even heard of CC.

That is absolutely true. The great majority of passengers have never heard of this site. They just read the published SS dress code and dress accordingly. In my experience everyone figures it out and has a good time. Those who have any level of poor experiences, from a few very serious problems, to incredibly trivial complaints, ALL post. Of course there are a lot very interesting questions and responses..that’s what keeps me coming back and tuning in.

For the record: Dress Code; I like it

Smoking; I hate it...anywhere

Tipping; CREW FUND

Owners’ “Charity” .,,,donate to your own charity choices

What else?? Be grateful we have so many choices and the funds to travel.

Cruisin Pashmina,

Thanks for your thoughtful, common sense response. I know that there are many people who are unaware of Cruise Critic and I, also, know that you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. Everyone's entitled to their opinion as that is what makes life more interesting. However, many comments on this site have been invaluable. So many positive, helpful comments regarding ports, excursions, tipping, etc. have been extremely helpful. The Meet and Mingle gatherings have introduced us to some very lovely people. So, I will continue to sift through the messages to learn about things that are pertinent to my travel plans and ignore the trivial posts. Again, cruising like all travel is a personal thing and I have learned that one's experiences while traveling do not always translate the same way for another. As you said, we should just be grateful that we have the opportunity to travel this wonderful planet.

• 1 month later...

This is not a debtate post, just trying to get a feel for normative range:

Never having been on Silversea, lots of questions. As I read the code, it appears that daytime dress is supposed to be appropriate for a 5-star hotel.

Our prior luxury-line experience is with Seabourn, and we tend to go to the Colonnade (buffet) for breakfast after our morning workout in our (not dripping in sweat) workout attire. Sort of like a tennis player at Aviara heading for breakfast in his/her tennis outfit. Never raises an eyebrow on Seabourn.

Would this work on Silversea? If so, at which restaurant locations? FYI, we will be on the Shadow

Many thanks.

Never having been on Silversea, lots of questions. As I read the code, it appears that daytime dress is supposed to be appropriate for a 5-star hotel.

Our prior luxury-line experience is with Seabourn, and we tend to go to the Colonnade (buffet) for breakfast after our morning workout in our (not dripping in sweat) workout attire. Sort of like a tennis player at Aviara heading for breakfast in his/her tennis outfit. Never raises an eyebrow on Seabourn.

Would this work on Silversea? If so, at which restaurant locations? FYI, we will be on the Shadow

Many thanks.

It will work ok on SS. You can have breakfast (buffet) in La Terrazza or full service in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many thanks.

Yes, it will work. I just returned from my 2nd cruise with Silversea and loved it:D Daytime is casual......I did a tour almost every port and was in shorts/top/my walking shoes for breakfast...….my tour was in the morning (after breakfast:))

I felt totally comfortable. If I wasn't touring? I would be in a bathing suit and I have a cute cover up that is sort of like a very casual dress...…..I would wear that to breakfast and got compliments on it....it is really a bathing

suit cover up;) And yes, you can have breakfast in La Terazza or the main dining room.

Interesting that the new Ritz Carlton ships will not have formal nights or any requirement for ties. I guess I’ll just have slum it over there.
[emoji849] Have fun! And, enjoy those buffets with kids touching / sneezing / coughing on the buffets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Taking our first Silversea cruise in January 2019 to Australia/New Zealand. Would prefer not to take my tuxedo but do not want to feel underdressed. Any thoughts on the relative proportion of men wearing tuxedos versus dark suits on formal nights?

Just got off the Spirit cruise in Baltics a few weeks ago. Did not see any tuxedos. I only brought sports jacket and slacks and the 1 formal night put on a tie. You will be fine with suit.

Happy Sailing

Neilio