Live, Terry/Spirit: Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany; Pix’s!

TLCOhio

From the London/UK Daily Mail earlier this week, they had this headline: Tapas in San Sebastian, Lonely Planet reveals the world's 500 best meals with these highlights: Pintxos (tapas) in San Sebastian have been named as the top food experiences in the world by the travel experts at Lonely Planet. They come top of a mouth-watering list of the world's best 500 culinary experiences that Lonely Planet has ranked for a new tome titled the Ultimate Eatlist - a foodie bucket-list that takes into account not just the taste, but the atmosphere that dishes are eaten in.

YES!! We super loved both the setting in and around San Sebastian, plus the excellent tasty foods we enjoyed there. Below are a couple of visuals featured with this story. Brings many great memories from visiting there last year. More on my full live/blog connected below.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6031797/The-500-food-experiences-ranked-Lonely-Planet-tapas-San-Sebastian-No1.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. Now at 22,551 views. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From San Sebastian, below are a couple of the visuals that Lonely Planet used to illustrate this story and show what is there to see and enjoy in this scenic NW Spain location.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-19%20at%209.09.40%20AM_zpsmnygbsrw.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-19%20at%209.09.16%20AM_zpsie75vypn.png

Got to admit Lonely Planet certainly is in the right neighborhood with their assessment. Terry great pics. We stayed at the Maria Cristina which was within easy walking distance of the Old Town and all its bars/cafes and therefore spent two evenings sampling the fare. There were many other good options and for any one who makes SS try to get a tour and lunch at the Food Academy.

There is so much useful info in your threads, thank you for your generosity but I must say, this thread is so confusing! Why are there pictures from Asia and all the ads to go to other completely unrelated threads?! All the clutter makes it hard to actually read through the itinerary which seems oddly out of chronological order.

There is so much useful info in your threads, thank you for your generosity but I must say, this thread is so confusing! Why are there pictures from Asia and all the ads to go to other completely unrelated threads?! All the clutter makes it hard to actually read through the itinerary which seems oddly out of chronological order.

Got to admit Lonely Planet certainly is in the right neighborhood with their assessment. Terry great pics. We stayed at the Maria Cristina which was within easy walking distance of the Old Town and all its bars/cafes and therefore spent two evenings sampling the fare. There were many other good options and for any one who makes SS try to get a tour and lunch at the Food Academy..

Appreciate the nice comments and follow-up from new london. For Gourmet Gal, I plead "GUILTY" to having a "live/blog" that can be at times "oddly out of chronological order" and "confusing!".

Why? A large part of the challenge is that it is being written and prepared as a live/blog. As we travel from port to port!!! And on this Lisbon to Rouen sailing, we had no sea-days. Some cruises have more sea-day flexibility to keep most all of the post up-to-day and very current. And, I am somewhat of a "victim" of having, unfortunately, only 24 hours in each day.

When you are busy each day in getting ready for the day's activities, doing breakfast, lunch and dinner, visiting the ports, etc., time is limited. It also takes effort to go through ALL of the pictures, pick the best images, do fine-tuning on these visuals, write up the details on the activities on and off the ship, respond to good questions and suggestions from those following the live/blog, etc., etc., etc. As a result, there were key highlights and details that did not get fully shared and reported each and every day as we traveled. That is why, after returning from Europe, I did go through my pictures and post added visuals and details from the various locations and port stops. Things were not put together in a clearly, 100% orderly manner. In my view, that is part of what happens with such a live/blog process on a busy, port-intensive cruise. It's pretty much physically impossible to report and post everything in "real time" as we travel. Wish I had 28 hour days during such travel and/or could get by on only three hours sleep a night. BUT, I am not that good or skilled.

Another "trade-off" factor is that a number who have followed along for my live/blogs have been interested in what other travels, pictures, etc., can be seen or shared from earlier and/or upcoming travels. Much as others do with a "signature" at the bottom of their Cruise Critic posts, I share links on past travels. For some, that is of interest. For others, they ignore it and don't care about such links. Like anyone's personal "style", all of us are different as to what we do . . . and how! Some like it one way. Others prefer another way of doing "things". It's personal choice.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 210,415 views for this posting.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I will try to gleen some useful info from this thread, especially. Just booked a B2B for 2020 beginning in Lisbon on the Ritz Carlton ship. So I will subscribe to this thread and refer back to it as I plan this cruise. Now if only you used a darker shade of purple for your font

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I will try to gleen some useful info from this thread, especially. Just booked a B2B for 2020 beginning in Lisbon on the Ritz Carlton ship. So I will subscribe to this thread and refer back to it as I plan this cruise. Now if only you used a darker shade of purple for your font ��

Appreciate your follow-up. Like this shade of blue better? Look forward to hearing about your experiences sailing on the new Ritz Carlton "Yacht Collection". The visual of their new ship looks very "cool" and interesting. Are you doing the Lisbon to Bordeaux June 28, 2020, sailing as your phase one? And, then arriving London (Greenwich), England on July 14?

Looks as if you have many great ports and stops scheduled. Sorry that I have not had a chance to do an "index" for this sailing that gives the exact page and posting numbers for each of the different port stops. Did that detailed listing for our 2014 Australia/NZ adventure. But as I am still working, only have so much time for doing those types CC board posting details.

BUT, I am happy to answer any and all of your questions on this thread. Fire away with your added info needs. Been to Lisbon previously? If not, be sure to get there earlier enough before your cruise starts and soak up some Portugal's great history, charm, food/wine, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,269 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks Terry. That is my exact itinerary. Lisbon to Bordeaux and Bordeaux to Greenwich. Of all the ports we have only been to Greenwich on The World. I like that this itinerary includes several overnights and a couple of sea days. Also, we had been considering a Bordeaux river or canal cruise but I understand the rivers in the area are not really all that scenic. This double dose of Bordeaux will allow for a few day trips and we will probably not have to circle back in the future on a cruise or land trip.

So my first question is how many days would you recommend in Lisbon?

Thanks Terry. That is my exact itinerary. Lisbon to Bordeaux and Bordeaux to Greenwich. Of all the ports we have only been to Greenwich. This double dose of Bordeaux will allow for a few day trips and we will probably not have to circle back in the future on a cruise or land trip. So my first question is how many days would you recommend in Lisbon?

Great follow-up question as to how many days to spend in Lisbon. The quick answer is . . . "It depends!"

Where are you flying from and how much time do you need to recover from your flights? Assuming you're flying from USA across the Atlantic. Right? Most important to consider is the amount of interest you have in history, architecture, culture, food, etc. Second is the big question as to your interests for doing "day-trips" from Lisbon to such nearby and famous locations as the Sintra summer palaces of the Portugal royalty that is north of their capital. We also did a private tour day to Fatima and three other stops. Fatima is where Pope Francis visited for its 100th anniversary in May 2017. Pope John Paul II visited there three times and credits "our Lady" for his recovery from the assassination attempt against his life. The three bullet that struck him were given by this Pope to enshrine there at Fatima that is just about an hour plus north of Lisbon. Although we are not Roman Catholic, this site was very moving and inspirational for us.

Our other stops that day in connection with this Fatima tour were at Batalha for Our Lady of Victory religious site. It is considered the best example of gothic architecture in Portugal. We dined on fish stew while dining overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in Nazaré. Then it was Óbidos, the medieval town surrounded by walls. Great and interesting day through our super expert guide Suzana with the TourByLocals guide website.

Overall, we had five days to explore in and around this very cosmopolitan, historic, charming and scenic Lisbon. Clearly, depending on your budget, time flexibility and personal interests, you could spend less or more time using Lisbon as your base. Five days worked perfect for us and our range of interests. Tell me more about where you will be flying from, your personal interests, what you most seek and love, etc.

For Bordeaux, YES, that is both a fabulous city and a location with such a great range of history, culture and architecture. Plus, exploring a few of the nearby wine locations can be so totally wonderful, interesting and exciting.

Does this help? Skim through my postings!! You will see many more details and a variety of options from those highlights and visuals at all of the various locations. What's next with your key info needs?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 238,652 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks for your suggestions. We will probably be flying from the US West Coast and usually just need one night to recover from jetlag. We’re debating whether or not to stay at the Ritz Carlton which is in Sintra. I have to investigate the accesibility to the city of Lisbon. I’m thinking 3 nights would be minimum.

Thanks for your suggestions. We will probably be flying from the US West Coast and usually just need one night to recover from jetlag. We’re debating whether or not to stay at the Ritz Carlton which is in Sintra. I have to investigate the accesibility to the city of Lisbon. I’m thinking 3 nights would be minimum.

Appreciate these added details and your quick follow-up. While I am sure that the Ritz Carlton in Sintra would be very nice, I would strongly suggest considering being based in Lisbon. While we loved Sintra, it does not offer the wider range of options and potentials as does Lisbon. Nor is it as close for your ship boarding, etc. From the US West Coast, it will be a long, long flight (0r series of flights), but it is good that you recover quickly from the jetlag challenges. Keep it coming with your questions. Your cruises have so many great ports that your research and planning tasks are significant. Just slowly keep working away, port-by-port, to avoid being too overwhelm with the many excellent potentials.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,870 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...
Appreciate these added details and your quick follow-up. While I am sure that the Ritz Carlton in Sintra would be very nice, I would strongly suggest considering being based in Lisbon. While we loved Sintra, it does not offer the wider range of options and potentials as does Lisbon. Nor is it as close for your ship boarding, etc. From the US West Coast, it will be a long, long flight (0r series of flights), but it is good that you recover quickly from the jetlag challenges. Keep it coming with your questions. Your cruises have so many great ports that your research and planning tasks are significant. Just slowly keep working away, port-by-port, to avoid being too overwhelm with the many excellent potentials.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,870 views for these postings.

Terry....love your posts, pictures & links. I find myself seeking out your specific posts as I shop around for future cruises. Which brings me to a specific question regarding your Lisbon & north cruise last year. We have booked on Seabourn Ovation.....Lisbon to Amsterdam, late May 2019 which stops in many of the same ports. We are very excited as places like San Sebastián & Bordeaux have been on our list for quite some time. The question......we have heard that the Bay of Biscay has quite a reputation for rough seas.....was that the case on your cruise? Your pictures suggest beautiful weather, but any insight on the sea conditions would be appreciated. We are not prone to seasickness but after reading some general articles about the notorious waters, I may have to be prepared. Thanks.....Happy Sailing whenever you are.....guessing Southest Asia.

Terry....love your posts, pictures & links. I find myself seeking out your specific posts as I shop around for future cruises. We have booked on Seabourn Ovation.....Lisbon to Amsterdam, late May 2019 which stops in many of the same ports. We are very excited as places like San Sebastián & Bordeaux have been on our list for quite some time. The question......we have heard that the Bay of Biscay has quite a reputation for rough seas.....was that the case on your cruise? Your pictures suggest beautiful weather, but any insight on the sea conditions would be appreciated. Thanks.....Happy Sailing whenever you are.....guessing Southest Asia.

Appreciate these kind comments and the nice follow-up from our "neighbor" in Naples, Florida. Know that excellent part of the Sunshine State well. Many from Central Ohio live or visit there.

From what I hear, the Seabourn Ovation is a very nice ship and we did super love our sailing north last year from Lisbon. YES, many great stops, including for superstars San Sebastián & Bordeaux. For us, we had no weather challenges and/or rough seas in and around the Bay of Biscay. We did have beautiful weather as reflected in my visuals. But, those on this same ship in the next cruise went south and did most all of our stops. BUT, they had rain and more mixed weather. Things happen!! Glad we were lucky with our weather.

Right now and for most of the summer we have been in Central Ohio. We did Southeast Asia for a month in January and February. Now it is a little over two months until we depart for Athens and doing a 20-day sailing with Oceania to Dubai in making our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan/Petra, Middle East, etc. Then, next summer, for our first time, we will be seeing the Western Canada Rockies, Vancouver, Alaska, etc. That trip will feature seven days on the Silver Muse. Send money and/or arrange for me to get commissions as my posts inspire your future travel plans. Or, need to win a big Lottery for more money to explore the world.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 41,885 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

• 6 months later...

From the Travel Section in the London/UK Evening Standard earlier this month, they had this headline: “How to spend the perfect 48 hours in Porto”  with these highlights: “For years it has been in Lisbon's shadow, but now, Porto, with its colourful buildings decorated with pretty azulejos and growing scene of hipster bars and restaurants, is a popular city break destination in its own right.”

One of their first suggestions is: "head to one of Porto's no-frills tabernas, where you can dine alongside locals and enjoy authentic Portuguese home-cooking that will set you up for an afternoon of wandering the city's ramshackle hilly streets. These restaurants are often brightly lit and don't be surprised if there's a TV screen in the corner, but they're a great way to sample local specialities at reasonable prices, such as the "Tripas a moda do Porto," a tripe dish of several meats and beans. We liked Restaurante Irmãos Linos, Taberna de Santo António is also great."

Many ideas to consider for Porto are in this detailed profile.  Hope to return to Porto and spend more time there and nearby in these scenic areas of Portugal. 

Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/porto-city-guide-a4080901.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From this detailed newspaper profile, here are three of the visuals used to illustrate this article.  All three pictures bring back wonderful memories from our visiting Porto in June 2017.  The second picture is inside their São Bento railway station.  Love that arched bridge in Porto!!:

1134033230_ScreenShot2019-03-23at8_20_54PM.thumb.png.47f6b9a9c3ca15858c3929d6f6469c21.png

469741285_ScreenShot2019-03-23at8_20_33PM.thumb.png.e4c51e3043a4f8e3f9f26dfd388d048d.png

466784078_ScreenShot2019-03-23at8_19_51PM.thumb.png.bb08bbf89599e6677a8e7ff520dddaca.png

In the previous post, there was a link to our latest "adventure".  It was Greece to Dubai.  Lots of great history, architecture, culture, food, sights, etc.  Below are a few "eye candy" samples.  Much more on the full live/blog.  

In July, for our first time, we will be seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, Denali, etc. After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for visiting Galápagos, etc. Just need people to send money and/or arrange for me to get commissions as my posts inspire your future travel plans. Or, need to win a big Lottery for more money to explore the world.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 232,941 views. 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2017 at 4:50 AM, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these excellent comments and helpful follow-ups from Emtbsam and WesW. YES, this location is amazing, so historic and moving, very well maintained, etc. Below are a few of my pictures from when we visited there during a day-trip from Paris to Normandy in 1995.

That upcoming 75th anniversary will be very significant. Sadly, however, most veterans of that military action will not be around to help celebrate their personal triumph and these acts of brave courage. If they were age 22 at that time, they would need to be at age 97 for this important date in history.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,478 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

One of the "best of the best" highlights for Normandy is the WWII landing site at Omaha Beach. This site is beautifully maintained and very personally moving. France granted the United States a special, perpetual concession to the land occupied by the cemetery, free of any charge or any tax. This cemetery is managed by the American government, under Congressional acts providing yearly financial support. The cemetery is located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel. It covers 172 acres and contains the remains of 9,387 American military dead, most of whom were killed during the invasion of Normandy and ensuing military operations in World War II. Among the burials at the cemetery are three recipients of the Medal of Honor, including Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., son of President Theodore Roosevelt. After the creation of the cemetery, another son of President Roosevelt, Quentin, who had been killed in World War I, was exhumed and reburied next to his brother Theodore, Jr.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

WWIICemtCrosses.jpg

Thanks for sending this link Terry. We are only a day away from leaving Maryland and it has been helpful. One question right now: Would you recommend the trip to Dinan or Mont St. Michelle from St. Malo? Really enjoyed the live blog format.

WWIICemBeaWalk.jpg

46 minutes ago, mayaart said:

Thanks for sending this link Terry. We are only a day away from leaving Maryland and it has been helpful. One question right now: Would you recommend the trip to Dinan or Mont St. Michelle from St. Malo? Really enjoyed the live blog format.

WOW, what a challenging, difficult question.  That is about like asking a parent to name their favorite child!!  Right?  BOTH Dinan AND Mont St. Michelle are unique, historic and fascinating.  We visited Mont St. Michelle in 1995 and did Dinan in 2017.  St. Malo is also fun and interesting, too!!  Many choices and great options in this region of France.  

Much depends as to your personal interests, what you like to do and see best, where else you will be visiting during this trip, etc.  Mont St. Michelle is more "famous" and will be the best for "name-dropping" purposes.  Dinan has a wide range of different options within this town.  Tell me more about what else you have or will be doing in France, what you most seek/like, etc., and I would be happy to provide more info and reactions.  

THANKS for your nice comments on the live/blog!  Don't be shy with any added questions.    Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,559 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From being there in 1995, below are a couple of my quick visual samples from Mont St. Michelle.  At a spectacular location, this site is very historic and dramatic!!:

2076388880_01283_n_9aeu76nwm17632.thumb.jpg.4b0f4b5b94b5bf4723ced07fcfb61bd7.jpg

1456540219_01297_n_9aeu76nwm1777_z1.jpg.33e382d3646219937f03916e2e325dce.jpg

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times to be published tomorrow, they had this headline: “Brittany: 20 best places to stay”  with these below highlights for the location where we stayed for three nights at Château de la Ballue, Île et Vilaine, after our Silver Spirit sailing from Lisbon.  

Here is what was said about this location: “South of Mont Saint Michel, close to the Normandy border, lies the splendid 17th-century Château de la Ballue, its four bedrooms done out in classic floral prints and with canopied beds. Breakfast is served in the elegant salon, while the outdoor pool and spa offer a place to relax. The château once welcomed guests such as Victor Hugo and Honoré de Balzac, but today it is most proud of its gardens. The impressive topiaries, Italian late-Renaissance style and impressive views of the surrounding countryside make it an ideal first port of call before exploring attractions farther afield."
B&B doubles cost from €230 (00 33 299 97 47 86, la-ballue.com)

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/brittany-20-best-places-to-stay-d58v2t09s

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,418 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Here is the visual used by the Sunday Times to illustrate this profile for these top locations in Brittany.  The pool is shown with Château de la Ballue in the top of the background.  The gardens here were large and spectacular.:

1547647113_ScreenShot2019-05-18at4_50_28PM.thumb.png.99bec2d6df166755b357e9f0cb708822.png

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this weekend on Sunday, they will have this headline: “36 Hours in Bordeaux”  with this sub-head: "In the heart of grape-growing country, this riverside city in France is especially appealing to those in the wine-sipping, food-loving crowd."

Here are some of the story highlights: “Having long shed its reputation as a backwater, Bordeaux is still often overlooked by travelers intent on the Paris-Provence circuit. Nestled in verdant wine country and on the edge of leading oyster-producing areas, this elegant city on the Garonne River melds a history as a wealthy shipping center with a more recent resurgence in arts and infrastructure to make for a captivating — and mouthwatering — destination that’s easy to navigate on a system of modern trams. And with the high-speed rail service introduced in 2017, it’s just two hours southwest of the French capital.”

Many options are outlined in the profile to consider when visiting Bordeaux.  This includes this information on the new wine museum with its unique architecture that we visited in 2017: "With so much to take in at La Cité du Vin, this impressive museum, which opened in 2016, offers an array of self-guided, hourlong highlights tours to intrigue adults and children alike, helped by handy graphics and English translations. 'The Essentials' tour, for example, includes a look at the history of winemaking and how Bordeaux — where winemaking dates to the ancient Romans — fits into that, and videos in which male and female winemakers from different countries talk about their terroir. The 'Juniors' route for ages 7 to 12 includes a cartoon video of Romans shipping wine across the sea and a 'buffet of the five senses' where sniff tests identify aromas and flavors found in wine. A 20-euro ticket also allows elevator access to the eighth-floor Belvedere observatory, including a taste of wine."  Yes, we enjoyed a nice glass of wine on the top floor at this location. 

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/23/travel/what-to-do-in-bordeaux-france.html

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 26,754 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Here was their top visual that featured the Miroir d’eau reflecting pool, in front of the Place de la Bourse in Bordeaux.:

1085980556_ScreenShot2019-05-23at4_03_29PM.thumb.png.b18dc0124f6a795eae98bb6a4c42d4ff.png

From this profile, here was this visual of La Cité du Vin, or the City of Wine, that explores the history and culture of winemaking.  We visited and enjoy this new museum in June 2017.:

523069448_ScreenShot2019-05-23at4_04_01PM.thumb.png.66352f7c43f664e140e5b94aa335d014.png