Explorer Cancellation 7820 and 7821

zigtraveller

I’ve just been advised that my upcoming voyage 7821 Pape’ete to Easter Island has been canceled. Explorer is going into dry dock ahead of schedule for repairs before the Antarctic season.

I’m so disappointed and haven’t really considered what alternative voyages I might consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also just had my Scenic Eclipse canceled due to ship will not be ready. They sent my money back and hope they cover my non refundable airfare and hotel rooms? They did offer a 25% discount on future voyages. Too bad, wanted to check out the new ship.

Oh, that is disappointing news! Those cruises that turned around at Hanga Roa were very unique. The crew was talking about them last year when we were on Explorer for our South America cruise. Sorry it won't happen. :(

We have not been notified yet about this development.But now we have a 33 day hole in our travel plans.all flights and hotels already booked so it is going to be interesting to see how we are treated.

Silversea not covering itself in glory recently.

Well it has now been confirmed by Silversea to our TA that the Explorer is going into dry dock from 15 September.

We have not had any direct notification what so ever from Silversea. EXTREMELY POOR COMMUNICATION by Silversea !!!

If it wasnt for Zig we would still be in the dark about this.

Oh, that is disappointing news! Those cruises that turned around at Hanga Roa were very unique. The crew was talking about them last year when we were on Explorer for our South America cruise. Sorry it won't happen. :(

Thanks JP, those voyages were unique taking in the Pitcairn Islands as well as EI.

And our offer.

All booked guests will receive a full refund on their cruise fare , plus a refund of up to 2 pre-cruise hotel nights where these were arranged independently. For guests who have made their own independent air arrangements then we will cover any air cancellation costs on proof of purchase.

Additionally, any booked guests will receive a 25% saving to be used on any cruise sailing between today and April 1, 2019, or 10% saving on any other Silversea cruise, excluding full World Cruises.

And our offer.

All booked guests will receive a full refund on their cruise fare , plus a refund of up to 2 pre-cruise hotel nights where these were arranged independently. For guests who have made their own independent air arrangements then we will cover any air cancellation costs on proof of purchase.

Additionally, any booked guests will receive a 25% saving to be used on any cruise sailing between today and April 1, 2019, or 10% saving on any other Silversea cruise, excluding full World Cruises.

Same details I was provided with.

Well it has now been confirmed by Silversea to our TA that the Explorer is going into dry dock from 15 September.

We have not had any direct notification what so ever from Silversea. EXTREMELY POOR COMMUNICATION by Silversea !!!

If it wasnt for Zig we would still be in the dark about this.

I understand your disappointment. However, it is customary in the cruise business (at least at luxury level) that if a guest books through a TA then all communications from the cruise line are via the TA (as is the shipment of documents, etc.) Only in extremely urgent situations have I received direct communication from a cruise line if I booked through a TA.

Thus, it may be no surprise that you have not had "direct notification" from Silversea.

This is a reason I am increasingly booking directly with the cruise line (esp. Silversea who have splendid agents) and can avoid the mediation (and possible delays) associated with dealing with TA.

And our offer.

I don't doubt that others will pronounce this derisory offer. But it seems very fair to me. Much more generous IMHO than accommodations offered by Crystal last year when Serenity destined for San Pedro docked in San Diego (requiring 3 am departures for LAX since Crystal would not defray cost of new tickets from SAN.

I had another mishap when Crystal announced belatedly (through TA) that Serenity would be departing ~ 18 hours before the time that was indicated on schedules. This caused significant issues for me, and Crystal made a very small offer of compensation

But Observer the 25% discount is only for the next 6 months.They provided a list of cruises that could still be booked-not that long and none that we would pick.

And we notified our TA before she was aware.

The situation is that at the end of May 2019 instead of being ~ 30 days from the 350 and free cruise target it will be more than 60.It is now likely we will not be on further Silversea cruises other than those already booked.

Yes TM it is a very big hole in our plans and we did have everything booked.Possibly some more time in Japan instead.

Sorry to hear about the cancellation drron29, that must be extremely disappointing. It sounds like the offer is not dissimilar to that which SS initially provided after deciding to stretch the Spirit.

All I can suggest is working with SS through this. We ended up with something that wouldn’t have been our first choice, but then it didn’t fit what SS was initially offering, either in terms of price or time constraints.

Wishing you good luck and patience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to hear that all these wonderful plans have been dashed as any one of those two cruises would be fantastic.

The ship was in dry dock for an extended period only last year and some major engineering work was done as well as the update refurbishment. Surely the ship should not need to be back in dry dock again already.

Echo Rocchi's thoughtful post above, can imagine the anguish each of you r going thru as you attempt to make new cruise/travel plans. Hopefully, Silversea and you can make it right for each of you.

Tho this 2020 Whisper WC segment is outside the new offer six month window (April 1, 2019) the ports (hopefully sea conditions will permit visits) include Robinson Crusoe, Easter and Piticairn Islands.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/world-cruise/world-cruise-2020.html

Sorry to hear that all these wonderful plans have been dashed as any one of those two cruises would be fantastic.

The ship was in dry dock for an extended period only last year and some major engineering work was done as well as the update refurbishment. Surely the ship should not need to be back in dry dock again already.

Hi Rocchi. I was very surprised to hear that it had to go into dry dock again. It hadn't been long out of dry dock when we cruised from Guayaquil last year.

I would really be upset if this happened to me. The 25% off a future cruise plus the refund and reimbursement would be acceptable, except for the limitation that the 25 % off must be used so soon. That is really not possible for most people, because either the cruises that they would want to take are already booked or their travel schedule is already full for that time frame. Very disappointing.

That certainly is odd, I agree. What could have happened to necessitate another dry dock? All seemed well when we were on board together last autumn.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP the email stated:

'Following the insourcing of technical operation from an external manager our technical manager has run different analysis on our whole fleet. In specific one recent test pointed out the need to increase the ship's operational flexibility before starting cold water cruising to be able to allow our guests to enjoy longer-range cruises in the future.'

The dry dock will result will result in enhancements in the ship hull to allow for increased ship's operational flexibility in ice cold cruising.'

"Following the insourcing of technical operation from an external manager our technical manager has run different analysis on our whole fleet."

Thanks Judith for the 'clarification' from Silversea.

Could this new management be something to do with the new management? Hmmm.

I guess me may never, but it would be interesting to, know precisely why.

It is a very strange decision to dump sold out cruises.

"Sounds like" preparation for integration perhaps ? ( maybe they are fitting a water slide)

One assumes that SS cruisers will soon eat the same base solids as the rest of the fleet, perhaps with some extra sauces….